Bellator Champions: a 2 year comparison

Right that was the original intention.

Because it's often the Co-Main event that os the largest picture on the poster with the match listed in the headline.

Bellator-121-Poster.jpg

Besides the fact that Lins vs Heidlage was listed as the main event on their site pretty much since it was announced. Don't try and play with the big boys kids.

If you count Lombard they are weaker
Konrad would have decisioned Minokov, Lombard would wreck Storm, Askren way better than any fighter on Bellator roster.

Newton and Alvarez are an improvement, so its actually fairly even

Konrad > Minakov
Newton > M Pumbu
Lombard > Storm
Askren > Lima
Eddie/Chandler =
Curran same
Dantas same

Konrad/Minakov is debatable (I personally don't have a preference) but nothing else is. Newton beat Vegh, who beat M'Pumbu. Lombard and Askren have clear wins over Storm and Lima. Eddie and Chandler are evenly matched. I'd say 2014's group is more exciting overall but better? Nope.

Besides the fact that Lins vs Heidlage was listed as the main event on their site pretty much since it was announced. Don't try and play with the big boys kids.

Lol big boy? You are messing with a man, son. When I go to their site it says Bellator 121 Prindle vs Thompson plus: Sokoudju Davinney, and at the bottom LHW opening round Lins vs Heidlage.

They just released a 3 minute promo of Prindle vs Thompson plus a featurette on Sokoudju. You can tell what they are promoting. Must suck to be the main event and have feature fights get promoted over yours.. kind of bush league.

conrad would wreck minakov. imo cole konrad was only bellator HW who had a shot at top 5 UFC HW's. dude was a beast with legit wrestling and a threat to any HW anywhere. wish he wouldnt have given it up

Well Konrad isnt the champ right now, he left and Minakov is more exciting to watch so of course certain people will say he is better but Konrad was 280 pound great wrestler.

Kongo took Minakov down. Konrad would take him down and control him. Wont be the most exciting fight but Konrad would win.

And shit thats Konrad years ago, I'm talking today Konrad with more fights, more years training his stand up and bjj, yeah he'd dominate Minakov today.

This is what their site says.

a.jpg

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear cut as far as champions go... MW & WW were stronger in 2012, HW & LW are about even, and LHW is stronger in 2014 (with FW & BW having the same champion).

So going by that the champions have not improved, in fact got slightly eorse over the 2 years.

However this is just looking at the top fighter of the division and not the srength of thr division as a whole. I think if you compared the divisions, its probably slightly stronger/deeper in 2014.

Although you never want a champion vacating their title, it somewhat diminishes the value of the title, but 2 out of the 3 that vacated weren't in the grand scheme so bad. I'm talking about Askren and Konrad, who were dominate and would be champions for quite some times I believe, but their style wasn't entertaining. These champs were replaced by two far more exciting fighters in Minakov and Lima. I think losing Lombard was bad, because he was entertaining and was a draw for them. I think Askren and Konrad were superior fighters than Lombard, but I think him leaving was the one that hurt the most.

Bellator needs to be able to support their champions with lucrative contracts or they will continue to bolt for the UFC, where their can offer incentive laden contracts involving PPV cuts and better sponsorship money. It's not the end all be all if their champs leave, but it doesn't look good for the promotion. Viacom also needs to continue spending on stars and young talent, I think they'll be fine.

Back