PBP Bellator 292: Nurmagomedov vs. Henderson, Fri. 3/10, 7:30 PM ET/4:30 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins the Bellator LW title?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a ridiculous post.
Haha why? Sure we are going to see some lower level match ups due to the smaller roster but we literally have guys on the main card of the UFC PPV fighting 50/50 fighters on 2-3 fight finish streaks with 500 fighters on the roster. Tyson Pedro vs Harry Hunsucker was a main card fight around 4 months ago. Nearly every UFC card these days features a fight like this.
Bellator was guilty of it with Page until he finally fought ranked guys, but they actually have divisions now (outside of HW).
They will have some more, but look at it in comparision to the massive roster the UFC has and the squash matches they still manage to make for similar fighters.

might

Don't you think this fight might have been a send off to Benson Henderson giving him the , altough impossible , last chance to win the Bellator LW title before retiring? But no you go right to Nurmagomedov's nepotism.

Bendo has been given a lot of title shots in his career, Bellator included. He didn't need this kind of send off vs a 24 year old stud at 40. It's also not how championships should work, fighting a guy who's way less deserved thats already had his chances because of "send off" and whatnot, Tofiq was supposed to get a title shot and now he probably never will but fuck him, yeah?. Also I listened to Coker and Ariel talk about the LW tournament and Coker was pretty open that it's designed with intention of McKee and Usman hopefully meeting in the finals and that Patricky vs McKee is great because of the past Patricio and McKee storyline and a passing of the torch match. Usman vs Bendo was Bellator's best LW and young rising star vs a former LW champion meant to be a springboard. Like I said, this shit happens at the cost of others careers. Usman never earned a title shot and then he's given an easy, high profile fight round 1 while others who deserved a title fight more are given tougher fights than the fucking champion.

That was when I first really started getting into MMA, that WEC, Strikeforce era. I absolutely adored when Strikeforce and the WEC merged. Bendo at that time was a new wave of bigger, more developed and athletic fighters and that wave continued with Pettis, Dos Anjos, Khabib in a pretty fluid spectrum. He was the beginning of the LW explosion as I see it and he was a b better champion than a lot of people remember. It also created a standard for lower weight classes, before it was common BW sized men would fight at LW often because there was no other clear path and even LW sized guys would fight at WW commonly, LW was the bottom...it was seen as pessimistically as Flyweight used to be nearly. The addition of weight classes 145-135-125 and the richness of 155lbs, a more unified idea of size relative to smaller divisions and them not just being considered "the little guys lol" MMA finally got away from it's big man culture. I guess what I'm saying is Bendo is a true pioneer of 155lbs and was a part of a huge change in MMA and the UFC.
The guy equaled the title defence record. Has some awesome wins and even had success at 170 against some legit guys in major orgs.

I hate people that write these guys off at the end of their careers. The guy has only lost to title challengers or champions his entire career. He isn't getting caught against scrubs out there. He has fought nothing but top 10-20 fighters since 09 and had his first pro fight in 2006. Well said he was a point fighting monster in his time.

You're right on both fronts. I'll just be honest, the WEC/SF/late 2000s/early 2010s is my favorite era of MMA. I was the only person I knew who watched WEC cards on Versus mid-week and got my brother and his best friend into MMA around then, who I still split PPVs with to this day. I recall him getting Varner in that standing guillotine. Him escaping all those crazy Cerrone subs (don't get me started on WEC, I could write a damn book about it).

I vividly remember us being gotten to when Pettis effortlessly subbed Benson in a round and he told Rogan that the sub fucking hurts and that's why he tapped. I just feel obligated to give those guys shout outs. WAR Benson.
yes-sad.gif

I liked Strikeforce more than the current UFC product for sure but Bellator has some flaws with the broadcast where I'd say they aren't their yet imo

It seems like that Bellator has gotten back to its roots in creating young exciting fighters though. It's going in the right direction
Bellator is also free(atleast where I am) UFC is charging the absolute highest PPV amount of anything I watch these days and stinging me out of 1 fight atleast each card. Add to that fightpass for the prelims and it's a pretty crappy deal. Still going to watch though and I pay for good cards when they have them.

I watch ONE too. They finally stopped the squash matches to favor their strikers. I still hate their weight/hydration BS as it's duck tales.
I have it on good authority the hydration stuff is bullshit. You fight for certain gyms and you can weigh whatever you want within reason. You can easily pick it out if you look at the size difference of some local fighters vs international. It sucks because I love the product but I know it's dodgy and certain things get ignored for certain fighters.

Tofiq has the lead for Oscars this year. What an acting performance. Shabliy broke his rib and he wanted out.

I miss the truly great moments when I miss cards.... Eric prindle throwing an Ax kick to the groin would've been special to see live

I remember seeing that live and wincing along... felt it across the globe

on the related note, Eric Prindle was juiced to the tits, they both probably were

I've not seen that many of Yamauchi's fights but struggling to understand how someone with a kickboxing and muay thai background could display such terrible movement against a proven stand up finisher. Hope his injury heals quickly but wtf was he trying to do...

Yeah but never came close to KOing anyone with it. Dont think hes ever even dropped anyone with it.
I think that’s similar to the kick he dropped Bisping with in their 1st fight.

Back