PBP Bellator 292: Nurmagomedov vs. Henderson, Fri. 3/10, 7:30 PM ET/4:30 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins the Bellator LW title?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watch WEC 43, WEC 46, WEC 53, UFC on Fox 1 vs Guida, him verses Jim Miller, him against Nate Diaz and Melendez at UFC on Fox 5 and 7, and UFC Fight Night 60 against Thatch if you need a crash course on Benson Henderson. That guy was great once upon a time. Bendo bless.

Nobody remembers its heart breaking. I do think the LW division has evolved a lot since then though, the globalization of MMA and the entry of smaller divisions had a huge impact. Bendo also looked tiny in there, fighters have gotten bigger.

Bellator is better than the UFC these days in terms of fair officiating and it's the same guys so it's weird.
The match ups are also much better these days in terms of fairness once you get past the early prelims.

UFC is actively putting together squash matches and keeping people on the roster to be finished by prospects.
Anyone remember Tyson Pedro and his match ups ? They were literally bringing people in for him to beat until it backfired.

What a ridiculous post.

What's all this business going on in the cage with Team Diaz and why don't we get to see or hear it?

Remember when people on here were saying Usman has beaten cab drivers and is overrated?

He made Benson Henderson look like one of those cab drivers he murked in the 1st.

Insane.

Yes his best wins aren't cab drivers they are 24-11 37 year old Patricky and 30-12 40 year old Benson. It's official, he's legit lmao.

Both run squash matches. It was the Bellator special. Michael Page says hello for the five years before he fought Lima. Both organizations have their faults. I'm going to keep watching both, lol.
One is where it's at. It's basically Pride with KB and grappling.
I watch all MMA I can catch. I am a big Bellator fan, but I think they have moved more legit now in regards to the tournaments at the least.

I crap on Big John for his schilling but it's crazy to think that he literally wrote the rules for MMA

<TheWire1>

or maybe I'm just really stoned.

damn man you been full hater mode tonight when it comes to the dagestanis cmon man
He's right about Mansour though. The dude is so fucking legit. Gave Islam his toughest fight ever. I know people saying it's Volk, but to me it's Mansour.

Nobody remembers its heart breaking. I do think the LW division has evolved a lot since then though, the globalization of MMA and the entry of smaller divisions had a huge impact. Bendo also looked tiny in there, fighters have gotten bigger.

You're right on both fronts. I'll just be honest, the WEC/SF/late 2000s/early 2010s is my favorite era of MMA. I was the only person I knew who watched WEC cards on Versus mid-week and got my brother and his best friend into MMA around then, who I still split PPVs with to this day. I recall him getting Varner in that standing guillotine. Him escaping all those crazy Cerrone subs (don't get me started on WEC, I could write a damn book about it).

I vividly remember us being gotten to when Pettis effortlessly subbed Benson in a round and he told Rogan that the sub fucking hurts and that's why he tapped. I just feel obligated to give those guys shout outs. WAR Benson.

Bellator is better than the UFC these days in terms of fair officiating and it's the same guys so it's weird.
The match ups are also much better these days in terms of fairness once you get past the early prelims.

UFC is actively putting together squash matches and keeping people on the roster to be finished by prospects.
Anyone remember Tyson Pedro and his match ups ? They were literally bringing people in for him to beat until it backfired.

I liked Strikeforce more than the current UFC product for sure but Bellator has some flaws with the broadcast where I'd say they aren't their yet imo

It seems like that Bellator has gotten back to its roots in creating young exciting fighters though. It's going in the right direction

One is where it's at. It's basically Pride with KB and grappling.
I watch all MMA I can catch. I am a big Bellator fan, but I think they have moved more legit now in regards to the tournaments at the least.

I watch ONE too. They finally stopped the squash matches to favor their strikers. I still hate their weight/hydration BS as it's duck tales.

did they make usman tape over some logos on his shirt?
might
Not at all. Usman is rightly the favorite to win this tournament and a gun to my head I think he will. But beating 37 year old 24-10 Patricky and 39 year old 30-12 Bendo doesn't convince me of much and it shouldn't you or anyone else either, really. The fact that Usman got gifted a title shot after beating no one ranked with Tofiq had a win over the current champion and KOd a top 10 guy to earn his shot and Shabliy knocked out a former champ...It's Nurmagomedov nepotism. Doesn't have to be Dagestani I complain about this shit ad nauseum when it comes to O'Malley and Bo Nickal too.

There were 5 legit fighters out of the 8 entries who are in their primes and would be clear favorites over the other 3 guys. Usman, Shabliy, Tofiq, Barnaoui and McKee. The fact that Usman, the defending champion was given the easiest fight for his first round tournament too is bullshit there's responsibility as a champion for fucks sake.
Don't you think this fight might have been a send off to Benson Henderson giving him the , altough impossible , last chance to win the Bellator LW title before retiring? But no you go right to Nurmagomedov's nepotism.

might

Don't you think this fight might have been a send off to Benson Henderson giving him the , altough impossible , last chance to win the Bellator LW title before retiring? But no you go right to Nurmagomedov's nepotism.

I'm just going to give @HuskySamoan a shout out too. The guy is one of the better, more informed posters on the forum. You may not always agree with him, but his perspective is rooted in information and interest.

You're right on both fronts. I'll just be honest, the WEC/SF/late 2000s/early 2010s is my favorite era of MMA. I was the only person I knew who watched WEC cards on Versus mid-week and got my brother and his best friend into MMA around then, who I still split PPVs with to this day. I recall him getting Varner in that standing guillotine. Him escaping all those crazy Cerrone subs (don't get me started on WEC, I could write a damn book about it).

I vividly remember us being gotten to when Pettis effortlessly subbed Benson in a round and he told Rogan that the sub fucking hurts and that's why he tapped. I just feel obligated to give those guys shout outs. WAR Benson.

Same including DREAM. I been a WeC fan long before that but generally speaking that same range, those orgs plus DREAM.

That was when I first really started getting into MMA, that WEC, Strikeforce era. I absolutely adored when Strikeforce and the WEC merged. Bendo at that time was a new wave of bigger, more developed and athletic fighters and that wave continued with Pettis, Dos Anjos, Khabib in a pretty fluid spectrum. He was the beginning of the LW explosion as I see it and he was a b better champion than a lot of people remember. It also created a standard for lower weight classes, before it was common BW sized men would fight at LW often because there was no other clear path and even LW sized guys would fight at WW commonly, LW was the bottom...it was seen as pessimistically as Flyweight used to be nearly. The addition of weight classes 145-135-125 and the richness of 155lbs, a more unified idea of size relative to smaller divisions and them not just being considered "the little guys lol" MMA finally got away from it's big man culture. I guess what I'm saying is Bendo is a true pioneer of 155lbs and was a part of a huge change in MMA and the UFC.

That was when I first really started getting into MMA, that WEC, Strikeforce era. I absolutely adored when Strikeforce and the WEC merged. Bendo at that time was a new wave of bigger, more developed and athletic fighters and that wave continued with Pettis, Dos Anjos, Khabib in a pretty fluid spectrum. He was the beginning of the LW explosion as I see it and he was a b better champion than a lot of people remember. It also created a standard for lower weight classes, before it was common BW sized men would fight at LW often because there was no other clear path and even LW sized guys would fight at WW commonly, LW was the bottom...it was seen as pessimistically as Flyweight used to be nearly. The addition of weight classes 145-135-125 and the richness of 155lbs, a more unified idea of size relative to smaller divisions and them not just being considered "the little guys lol" MMA finally got away from it's big man culture. I guess what I'm saying is Bendo is a true pioneer of 155lbs and was a part of a huge change in MMA and the UFC.

I've been drinking. All I can say is, that's a phenomenal point and I didn't even think of it that way.

Back