PBP Bellator 266: Davis vs. Romero, Sat. 9/18, 7 PM ET/4 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins at Bellator 266?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really I do not blame the split, the first round was lacking in action. It could had gone either way
That still doesn't explain how you can gift yoel the 2nd or 3rd those clearly Davis.

I can see scoring the first for Romero. I didn't, but it's possible.

But Jerin Valel also scored the third for him. That's wild. He needs to be removed from judging.
Wait what he scored third round... did not know that. Jezz yea that is terrible.

aertsetr.gif

Romero looked bloated and slow. His neck issues prevent him from being able to wrestle. I can honestly see the argument for him winning two rounds though. Phil deserved the win due to his strong third round however.

I think Romeo would actually be best off trying to do some freak show boxing fight and then cashing out.

No one should be too surprised that Phil out-wrestled Yoel considering Brunson did too before being tko'd on the feet in the third. Freestyle and folkstyle are pretty different in rulesets and ground fighting and while stylistically more similar to each other than Greco-Roman are still quite different.

He was though. I remember when he fought Rashad he was very highly ranked and I believe undefeated. Got a chance to fight him on a fox card, he just shit the bed and lost every round. He's had his chances in Bellator too. He just loses when it matters most
Like I said, shame he could never be top dog (which would require being champ or beating the best of the best). No shame in losing to Evans, but it does mean you are only a good fighter, not the best or great.

Like I said, shame he could never be top dog (which would require being champ or beating the best of the best). No shame in losing to Evans, but it does mean you are only a good fighter, not the best or great.
i guess i got confused by the wording. When I read "shame" it sounds like he was never given the opportunities to be great

i guess i got confused by the wording. When I read "shame" it sounds like he was never given the opportunities to be great
Nah, I just meant he couldn't get over that last hump or two. A fighter who's sum wasn't necessarily less than the sum of the parts, but just could never put it completely together.

I don't think he was matched particularly poorly or unfairly.

I really think Yoel is Pound for Pound LOWEST Fight IQ in a fighter i've ever seen. Or damn near the lowest. I've been so frustrated watching him fight and I'm a fan of his.

How did Romero win the poll here? :D We all get picks wrong, but Davis is younger, bigger, stronger, longer and is generally more aggressive in walking down his opponents than Romero has shown in recent years. The writing was on the wall for how this fight was going to go the moment it was booked. Should've given Yoel more of a showcase fight for his debut like they had Corey Anderson do with Melvin Manhoef.

I think it's a little bit of that "cult of personality" Yoel has with the fans that was probably in play as far as winning this poll lol.

How did Romero win the poll here? :D We all get picks wrong, but Davis is younger, bigger, stronger, longer and is generally more aggressive in walking down his opponents than Romero has shown in recent years. The writing was on the wall for how this fight was going to go the moment it was booked. Should've given Yoel more of a showcase fight for his debut like they had Corey Anderson do with Melvin Manhoef.

I think it's a little bit of that "cult of personality" Yoel has with the fans that was probably in play as far as winning this poll lol.

Not to mention Phil has a notably awesome chin and has only been visibly rocked, what, once, twice. I went in thinking that Romero's best chance at a win was to land the KO shot and that seemed pretty remote against a guy like Davis.

Even still, Yoel is one of those guys who has the skills, he just doesn't have the workrate. I expected Davis to beat him the way that he did, but I didn't think the takedowns would come that easily down the stretch.

This card was a disappointment overall. Neiman was the highlight of the card, the main event just sucked. Bellator has no idea what to do with Yoel. First they immediately try to put him (a MW) in a LHW tournament, then they book him against a former LHW champion. I was actually glad when his fight with Rumble fell through, but having him fight Phil Davis was fucking stupid after being out for 18 months. They absolutely should have given him a tune-up fight. They're paying him the same either way.

I had to watch the prelims after the main card, the whole event was full of up upsets, like that ex-UFC Dagestani guy losing to some bum with a rosary bead tattoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back