Bellator 169 Does 643k Viewers, Bellator Kickboxing Does 316k

Tape delay delivers the ratings once again.....

Overall a shitty year for Bellator but with Tito/Sonnen, Fedor/Meathead, a Sonnen/Wandy fight, think they will do better next year.

Bellator kickboxing lost half of its lead in and did Rizin NYE numbers.

Better ratings than a lot of these domestic shows.

Still. Bellator ended on a slump. They need to really up the advertising

Not a bad way to end the night. The only problem is the advertising and way they reach the public is outdated. They need some new blood. Coker has the same staff from like 1987 working with him so that might be why they're so far behind.

Better ratings than a lot of these domestic shows.

Still. Bellator ended on a slump. They need to really up the advertising

Basically after March the whole rest of the year was a slump. Only hit 700k 2x after March and not one show after Kimbo card did 800k.

Thats really bad.

They really need to adjust next year, more than just fights like Sonnen/Tito and fedor/Meathead which should do good they need to do more for the reg monthly shows. Doing 500-600k is horrible.

None of these shows get promotion, shoulder programming, nothing. They were doing better going week to week with prospects in tournament fights.

Bellator needs to get it together for next year, other than the title fights, the rest of the cards have been pretty mediocre imo. I wouldn't blame that so much on the fighters themselves, but that match maker Rich Chou, he sucks, his fights never make sense and he protects certain guys. Still holding out hope tho, I almost feel loyal to watching since being a fan of the Bjorn era. We will see how 2017 does.

Basically after March the whole rest of the year was a slump. Only hit 700k 2x after March and not one show after Kimbo card did 800k.

Thats really bad.

They really need to adjust next year, more than just fights like Sonnen/Tito and fedor/Meathead which should do good they need to do more for the reg monthly shows. Doing 500-600k is horrible.

None of these shows get promotion, shoulder programming, nothing. They were doing better going week to week with prospects in tournament fights.

I agree. I mean I know we are armchair QB. We only are the tv ratings, but things don't seem to be as good as they should. They don't advertise at all(who knows, maybe the money saved is well worth it; it is a net figures game after all)

Cord cutting is a major factor for sure, but the UFC is still pulling in healthy ratings in cable tv, so that isn't the complete diagnosis to the problem.

One thing that puzzles me is why they decided to have the chael and the fedor fights on spike. Feel like it's a complete waste of money imo. It puzzles me how cbs is choosing to cut a deal with other kb/mma orgs, when their sister company has an org. If I had to try and make sense out of it, id say that cbs is trying to establish somewhat of an mma fan base on another orgs dime, then if cbs and Viacom do merge, they would drop the other org, and bring in their in house product(Bellator). Isn't too far fetched considering spike did that with Glory.

Shocking, business as usual for Bellator in the ratings department.

It's simple.............Scott Coker is horrible at using his roster and always has been. He puts fights together to just have fight for the sake of an event. Very few matches are for anything other than that. As fan you feel there is no direction. You're rarely watching a guy come up the ranks. Instead you get one off odd fights like King Mo vs Ishii that does zero for either fighter or Bellator. Fans want direction whether they know it or not. They want to see the 3rd ranked fighter vs the number 5 guy and the winner get the next title shot against the winner of the main event. Coker does nothing with the roster to get anyone to follow Bellator and he did the same thing with Strikeforce. The only card he plays is "Big Name" fighter, period. Great guy and deserves credit for what he has done but I think a lot of fans put him on pedestal that he doesn't deserve.

His "Tent Pole" event business plan, is right. The problem is it was poorly executed. They don't have the roster to go out there and put on 20 events a year and knock it out of the park on paper 18 of 20 times. They have roster they can put on about 6 to maybe 8 "tent pole" kind of cards and the rest of the cards should be more or less typical Bellator events we been getting lately. But those 6 to 8 big events should have all your titles being defended twice a year on them spread out between the events. Top contender matches should be on those events also so they can build the future card live at the current event to promote it. Plus with all that Coker can still give us his one off freak show fights or whatever odd match ups if he wants.

Keep business as usual and I really wonder what we'll be saying about Bellator in the end of 2017. No doubt the first few months of 2017 should be solid but after that who knows.

I never watch Bellator live anymore, it seems the quality of the product has diminished a lot now that Coker has settled into this routine of pretty much having half his fights be squash matches, honestly half of the fights we see on bellator are embarrasing in comparison to the ufc, you never see the sort of lame shit that's always happens on bellator on ufc main cards or ppv fights.

In Strikeforce they still did the can crushing thing but at least they had guys that could actually crush the can in an entertaining way, plus you never saw low level matches on main cards that often so the show actually felt big in a way.

The UFC is at its weakest right now and Bellator should invest more in their product, whats the point of not having tournaments if you are gonna give main card spots to that kavannagh chick? I dont even know if Bellator can be saved at this point, that Kimbo fight did a lot of damage to its credibility, and relying on old guys has the potential to just keep embarrasing them, i mean im sure mittrione is gonna ko fedor and then get koed by a can next, old chael is just a boring lay n prayer, wand fighting at this point is just sad.

I never watch Bellator live anymore, it seems the quality of the product has diminished a lot now that Coker has settled into this routine of pretty much having half his fights be squash matches, honestly half of the fights we see on bellator are embarrasing in comparison to the ufc, you never see the sort of lame shit that's always happens on bellator on ufc main cards or ppv fights.

In Strikeforce they still did the can crushing thing but at least they had guys that could actually crush the can in an entertaining way, plus you never saw low level matches on main cards that often so the show actually felt big in a way.

The UFC is at its weakest right now and Bellator should invest more in their product, whats the point of not having tournaments if you are gonna give main card spots to that kavannagh chick? I dont even know if Bellator can be saved at this point, that Kimbo fight did a lot of damage to its credibility, and relying on old guys has the potential to just keep embarrasing them, i mean im sure mittrione is gonna ko fedor and then get koed by a can next, old chael is just a boring lay n prayer, wand fighting at this point is just sad.
Ufc not really weak right now? There last fox card did like 2million.

Too me it seems bellator don't promote Their events well enough to grab casual fans attention.

Too me it seems bellator don't promote Their events well enough to grab casual fans attention.

Very true.

But what are they suppose to promote when they have no direction???? Coker just doesn't have any long term plan with his roster. It's just a fly by the seat of your pants approach and by the time he settles on fights the event is almost upon us. All he relies on is a name. The problem is many times those names are fighting guys people could care less about in many cases or two over the hill guys going at it. Sure it brings eyes to the product for one event but the numbers prove they move on after it. Bellator hasn't giving a reason yet for casual fan to care and I'm not sure with Coker at the helm they ever will.

Last edited:

Nah i mean they're doing a lot of budget cuts, so they're not gonna aggresively pursue their stars like they did with Lombard and Alvarez.

Thats really bad.

Just wanted to point out that Bellator did some shoulder programming with a Benson Henderson special and a Tito Ortiz special on Spike when they had their big fights this year, plus a Kimbo special when he died. I remember those three at least. Plus the Bellator website always has a lot of short videos with fighter interviews, breakdowns and training features for every card. I know many people can't be bothered to watch it, but it does exist.

Why are Coker and Viacom so deadset on making Kickboxing work? It's not happening. The public doesn't like it. There was a brief Kickboxing craze in the 70s and 80s and it's been downhill ever since then.

Why are Coker and Viacom so deadset on making Kickboxing work? It's not happening. The public doesn't like it. There was a brief Kickboxing craze in the 70s and 80s and it's been downhill ever since then.

I kind of understand why Bellator has kb. Kb isn't popular in the states at all, but popular in a lot of countries in Europe. My argument would be that Bellator is using kb as the spear's head when going international and penetrating these European cards. They've had kb on both their Italy shows. I think they have also had kb in hungry.

They use kb to spear head mma in European countries. Doesn't seem like they are even trying to really push kb in the states. I mean their last kb event was on one week tape delay here in America.

I understand Bellators approach.

I kind of understand why Bellator has kb. Kb isn't popular in the states at all, but popular in a lot of countries in Europe. My argument would be that Bellator is using kb as the spear's head when going international and penetrating these European cards. They've had kb on both their Italy shows. I think they have also had kb in hungry.

They use kb to spear head mma in European countries. Doesn't seem like they are even trying to really push kb in the states. I mean their last kb event was on one week tape delay here in America.

I understand Bellators approach.

I didn't think about that. Good point.

I've been thinking the same. All I can think is someone listened to Rogan's podcast and is hell bent on trying to make it work after being convinced by that stoner. He's always trying to push it and saying how it could be so popular if done right. He just doesn't get it people don't want to see it.

Back