Bellator 141 headliner Melvin Guillard: Bellator allowed me to pick debut fight

Did Bellator think he was a big star in the UFC or something? Tricky v saad as the main event would have made them look... Better. I mean, Melvin Guillard? He's the dark sarnavski. I would like to see THAT fight, actually.

Did Bellator think he was a big star in the UFC or something? Tricky v saad as the main event would have made them look... Better. I mean, Melvin Guillard? He's the dark sarnavski. I would like to see THAT fight, actually.

I'm pretty sure he headlined a few UFN's on spike or at least fought on several, and he was on TUF. He probably got good rating for them before, just like Tito, Ken, Kimbo and Bonnar did.

Spike paid UFC and Nate both extra money so they could use him on UFN cards when they wanted to. Melvin was one of the guys they liked also. He's the kind of guy that sells well to the casual MMA fans that watch Spike.

I don't think Melvin is selling well to casual fans. IMHO. Did wsof see a ratings bump when Melvin lost there? Because if they did, a lot of people saw him lose. If there wasn't a ratings bump, well then I'm right. Either way..

I don't think Melvin is selling well to casual fans. IMHO. Did wsof see a ratings bump when Melvin lost there? Because if they did, a lot of people saw him lose. If there wasn't a ratings bump, well then I'm right. Either way..

WSOF isn't on Spike TV.

They're hoping Spike fans who used to watch TUF/UFN's will see him and watch because they remember him.

The people who watch cops, and Americas best car chases (or whatever Spike plays) aren't necessarily the same people who watch NBC sports. What appeals to one group may not appeal to another.

The people who watche tuf became UFC fans.. They aren't some special 'Spike' population. Spike might want to get out of 2007 pretty soon.

Pick opponent? And go for someone lower-level than usual headlining material? CHECK.
Follow it up by calling your hand-picked opponent irrelevant? CHECK
Lay an egg and lose to said opponent? CHECK

Melvin gonna Melvin. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

This wasn't quite as good as the Lauzon fight. Nothing will ever beat that one.:)

This wasn't quite as good as the Lauzon fight. Nothing will ever beat that one.:)

I can't think of a single quick-finish fight that got my blood rushing that much, EVER.

It was a thing of beauty. Lauzon's death-stare while finishing the choke was amazing.

I can't think of a single quick-finish fight that got my blood rushing that much, EVER.

It was a thing of beauty. Lauzon's death-stare while finishing the choke was amazing.

Melvin walking out cocky as shit because he was on a win streak was great.:)

Idk man it could be a calculated statement that Scott Coker told him to say. Think about it. It lets UFC fighters know how much better they'd be treated at Bellator, and how much more control and freedom they'd have over their careers at Bellator. I want to see a bunch of UFC fighters jump ship and go over there, personally. It'd be the best thing for mma as a whole, right now.

Possibly this. Hope they don't actually give them that much freedom, would mean way to many squashes.

Back