Bellator 132: Pitbull vs. Straus 7PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

straus is slightly taller, but according to their wikipedia pages frankie actually has a longer reach than straus and mendes is only an inch less.

They also said Minakov had a 73" reach. Then they changed it to 78" because it obviously wasn't true.

They list Straus at 5'7"/5'8" too. Marlon Sandro is 5'8"

Here they are standing next to each other:

20120510045952_e.JPG

Next to 5'9"/5'10" Curran:

Daniel-Straus-vs-Pat-Curran-Bellator-112-weigh.jpg

He's 5'10" or so. That listing is wrong.

So is his reach listing, in a huge way. If you are going to argue Straus has anywhere near a 67" reach like his Wiki says than either you're lying, blind, or illogical. That would mean his reach is 3 inches shorter than his height. That would be some serious t-rex syndrome. And black people typically have disproportionately long arms. By the eye test, Straus is no different. 73" is a conservative estimation. 75 wouldn't surprise me. He has always come across a long dude regardless of his opposition. He seemed longish against Curran even.

I was talking well before the fight how Straus' measurements are ridiculously off base.

you want edgar and patricio both to cut to 135? id have no desire for that.
I'd love to see Pitbull at 135, especially in Bellator. It's where he belongs. Aside from a rubber match against Curran, he has nothing left to prove at 145 whereas at 135 he could rematch Warren and get that bullshit loss back.

Edgar didn't even destroy Oliveira. You're on his nuts because he beat up Dolce Penn and a guy who is lost off his back.

Oliviera is a tall lanky featherweight with very nice standup and great subs, and just came off of subbing Hioki and beating Stephens in a fight that mostly took place on the feet; but Edgar still very decisively beat him (he's also beaten Elkins at 155 before they both dropped down and improved, and was winning against Lentz at 155 before both dropped down and improved). How is this a negative for Edgar?

Oliviera is a tall lanky featherweight with very nice standup and great subs, and just came off of subbing Hioki and beating Stephens in a fight that mostly took place on the feet; but Edgar still very decisively beat him (he's also beaten Elkins at 155 before they both dropped down and improved, and was winning against Lentz at 155 before both dropped down and improved). How is this a negative for Edgar?
The poster I was responding to said Edgar would "destroy" Pitbull. Oliveria is a great fighter, but he's not exactly known for his durability. If Edgar couldn't destroy him, what makes you think he would do it to Pitbull who has never been finished in 25 fights? Edgar winning is one thing, but let's not pretend like he's Thanos all of a sudden.

It was a 29-28/30-27, not overly impressive, competitive win against a lanky fighter.

This wasn't an overly impressive win either, but Pitbull did win, and by finish, against a lanky fighter.

It's not a negative per se for Edgar, just not one for Pitbull either, if people are being consistent. They both have relative struggles against reach. Neither would have that problem with each other, so to watch that bout against a lanky fighter with kicks like Straus, and draw from it, "see, Edgar would destroy Pitbull", is pretty silly. Was the same being said in the other direction after the luke warm Oliveira win?

Reach includes your back. Straus clearly has longer arms in addition to being taller. Height normally means longer legs which is more range

image_crop.php
20130716020258_frankie_edgar.JPG

Incidentally, Edgar's reach listing used to be 72". Now it's 68". They can get pretty whacky and unreliable for whatever reason.

The reason I'm saying this is because Pitbull struggled with Straus' reach, and the only other time he's lost on the feet was when Curran would keep him at the end of his jab. Edgar and Mendes have completely different body types than those two which would make that hard to pull off, so I don't understand how this fight convinced you that he'd lose to them. I'd love to see Edgar and Pitbull if only for the fact that they are roughly the same size and should both be at 135.

It's Straus' southpaw stance more-so than his reach that really shut down Pitbull's jab, I feel. Took virtually any and all low kicks out of the equation too, all things considered, Daniel is a really, really tough matchup for Patricio. And it was looking that way until he brainfarted in the 4th by going for the double wrist lock.

He could definitely take a rematch, in fact I expect him to, he handled Pitbull on the feet for the most part, let's be honest, and Liborio should be working day and night with him to tighten up his submission smarts.

It's Straus' southpaw stance more-so than his reach that really shut down Pitbull's jab, I feel. Took virtually any and all low kicks out of the equation too, all things considered, Daniel is a really, really tough matchup for Patricio. And it was looking that way until he brainfarted in the 4th by going for the double wrist lock.

He could definitely take a rematch, in fact I expect him to, he handled Pitbull on the feet for the most part, let's be honest, and Liborio should be working day and night with him to tighten up his submission smarts.

Possibly, but if Straus didn't go for the kimura from the bottom, he would have been mounted or back controlled anyways. His hands might have been in better position to block a choke or gnp, but who knows how he deals with that position still from Pitbull. As it was, Pitbull won round 2, and might have won back round 4. Which would have made the fight up for grabs in the 5th (point deduction not withstanding).

Then, you know, Pitbull could also make adjustments on the feet before next meeting. If his talk is to be believed before the fight, he wasn't giving Straus the proper respect for his improvement on the feet.

That's interesting insight on the southpaw stance though. Yeah, having to come all the way across on lead punches and leg kicks makes it a lot harder to land them. Pitbull's primary kick attack to somewhat neutralize reach advantages ala the second fight against an orthodox like Curran is leg kicks. He doesn't have much of a head or body attack from distance. I don't know if he could even reach considerably taller fighter's heads with those big legs, but he at least should incorporate a body kick. That's one thing he could work on specifically before next fight to improve his chances. And of course in the case of body kicks they are significantly more effective against opposite stance.

I would still give Pitbull the edge in a 3rd fight given last night's fight was close, he clutched up when he needed it unlike Straus who went in the opposite direction again, and the adjustments made between Curran fights.

you want edgar and patricio both to cut to 135? id have no desire for that.

i think edgar would make patricio look terrible. anyone other than edgar and aldo i'd say pitbull has a great chance to win against.

Pitbull should cut to BW, Edgar could but FW is Frankies real div.

Pitbull just doesnt have an incentive to go to BW since he's FW champ just like Frankie didnt have to go to FW when he was LW champ.

Back