Belal Muhammad calls for Leon Edwards rematch: ‘You didn’t earn yourself a title fight’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Belal Muhammad believes he still has unfinished business with Leon Edwards and now is the time to settle the score.

Early this year, Muhammad stepped in on short-notice to face Edwards in the main event of UFC Vegas 21. It was a big opportunity for Muhammad but it ended in controversy as just a few seconds into the second round, Edwards poked Muhammad in the eye, resulting in the fight being stopped as a no-contest. Afterwards, Muhammad called for a rematch but Edwards was entirely uninterested in one and the UFC moved on. As fate would have it though, both men competed on the main card of UFC 263 earlier this month, with Edwards facing fan-favorite Nate Diaz and Muhammad fighting long-time UFC standout Demian Maia. Both men picked up unanimous decision wins that night and now, Muhammad believes its the perfect time for a rematch.

“If you’re seeing what makes sense, that makes the most sense out of everything because everyone else is booked,” Muhammad told MMAJunkie. “But you know, people want to be butt hurt and cry and say I’m salty or whatever but if Colby gets that fight, what is Leon gonna do, sit out another six to eight months? You just had a whole year, year and a half off, do you want to get paid? The whole point of this is to get paid. So why not take this fight if I’m such an easy fight, an easy payday?”

Unfortunately for Muhammad, sitting out is exactly what Edwards intends to do. Though Edwards was nearly knocked out by Diaz in the final minute of their fight, he ultimately won a clear decision and is currently on 10-fight unbeaten streak in the division. Given that, Edwards has said that he will sit and wait for his shot at the title, but Muhammad doesn’t believe that’s a viable option for Edwards at this point.

“For him, the worst thing that could have happened to him was the way that whole Nate Diaz fight happened,” Muhammad said. “If he went in there, pulled a (Jorge) Masvidal, killed him, murdered him, then Dana White has to give you the title fight. But you went out there, you played it a little bit safe, you dominated it but then that last 30 seconds you got rocked and now every single fan out there - you could have stolen all of his fans but you didn’t.... You probably lost more fans than you gained in that one just because of the way it happened and you didn’t earn yourself a title fight.”

Unfortunately for Edwards, Muhammad may be right. After UFC 263, welterweight champion Kamaru Usman said basically the same thing, and UFC President Dana White declared that Colby Covington would be getting the next title shot. And while Edwards maintains he’s content to sit and wait, the reality is, the welterweight division moves fast and should he remain on the sidelines, Muhammad argues, Edwards will just get left behind.

“I feel like it has to happen, the way that fight ended,” Muhammad said. “For me, if Colby does get it, it should be me against Leon. I’ve won nine of my last 10, he’s on a ten-fight winning streak, but who has he really beaten? You beat ‘55er in (Rafael) Dos Anjos, you beat a ‘55er in (Donald) Cerrone, you beat a ‘55er in Nate Diaz. You haven’t beaten any 170-pounders that are ranked except for (Vicente) Luque but that was a while back and Luque has been on a tear since then. You haven’t really beaten a top contender.... I’m gonna keep moving up regardless and if you want to keep waiting on the sideline, you’re only making yourself look bad.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/6/...rematch-you-didnt-earn-yourself-a-title-fight

In b4 Sherodggers lose their minds over a fighter calling out a higher ranked fighter in the culture of calling out higher-ranked fighters.

Shoot your shot, if it works good if not try again another time. I highly doubt he will get it esp. after his performance against Maia but why not try.

Belal is just not that good and not entertaining at all. Props to him for trying to make the fight, but I doubt he gets it. Even if he does I don't see a path to victory for him. Belal never cracks the top 5 but is good enough to play gate keeper for a few years to come.

Edwards would had lost to Nate without time limit so he needs to rack up few more wins before he deserves TS.

"you’re only making yourself look bad."

Damn right you are Belal, yeah it was a fluke accident and I get his frustrations but is he forgetting he was getting beat up for the short period that fight lasted?

Belal was lucky to get the fight in the first place, he's lucky it's a questionable loss on paper, makes Belal look better that way than he ever would had the fight not been stopped.

While I might agree with certain points, he was losing against Leon and really has nothing to offer him. Not sure if a rematch even makes sense.

I think he deserves it. Its not like Edwards is getting a title shot next or anything.

EwaSiY4VcAMtSMB.jpg

They do have unfinished business, but Leon is a rightful Number 1 contender imo, Belal better just keep winning and not forget.. the name.

While I might agree with certain points, he was losing against Leon and really has nothing to offer him. Not sure if a rematch even makes sense.

You can't really declare Leon the winner after a single round. This is MMA and fights are judged over 3/5 rounds for a reason.

That said, I think he should move on. Leon clearly isn't interested in rematching him and Belal has now broken into the top 10. Michael Chiesa or Vicente Luque would be a great opponents for him right now.

If he keeps winning, he'll eventually get the Edwards rematch.

Belal is delusional. Yes, Leon will most likely not wait it out since none of us have no idea when Usman/Colby 2 takes place but if Leon is fighting one more time it'll be vs WB if he beats Burns and or Mas, any other fight is worthless.

What happened in that fight was unfortunate but...nah man. Leon earned his shot. Hope Belal gets his shot tho

Back