being hit in the face

I never feel the pain because of the adrenaline, but I get little split second blackouts sometimes when i get hooked in the temple, it's a bit annoying. Anyone else get these?

rah1 said:
I never feel the pain because of the adrenaline, but I get little split second blackouts sometimes when i get hooked in the temple, it's a bit annoying. Anyone else get these?

You mean that you see black for the eyes, a few secondes ?

^Yeah, but just the split second as the punch connects. Once this guy connected 3 consecutive hooks to my temple, it was like a strobe light... lol

Let's be honest no one likes being punched in the face. However, I sure have grown accustomed to it.

Someone said it before, straight right or left to the nose = worst punch to take.

Getting hit in the face is like an alarm clock going off. Nothing like getting relaxed a little and then WHAM. That shit will wake you right up.

When you spar with people as well you shouldn't be trying to knock their faces off.

I think we all have different levels of pain tolerence and by getting hit repeatedly the level goes higher. Like a lot of people have said correctly while you re in the heat of action adreneline doesn t allow the pain to take the upper hand, specially when damage is done to your face. I have had a very badly broken nose so to this day my nose is prone to fast injury. But to me the worst shot you can take is a solid one to the body, not only it stops you dead in your track adreneline or not but also hurts like hell for a few days.

rah1 said:

I knw exactly what your taking about, i got hit once sparring, and it wernt a knockout punch or anything, but it was smack on the chin, my face moved to side, and it was like a long blink.

I know my tolerance for punches has increased over the last 2 years. I remeber 4 years ago when I didn't train at all I'd have little mini highschool boxing tournaments where we all just went in swinging for the fences, and getting punched hurt like hell.

Now I hardly ever in a sparring match stop and think to myself "dam that really fucking hurt", even if I get dropped. I don't know if it's just because your in that zone where the adrenaline takes over everything or what, but its strange. It also a matter of a couple other things too; like for instance you start to cover up much better then you did when you first started so you don't get hit quite as cleanly as you once did, and alot more relaxed 2 which i would think woudl help.

Just my .02 cents.

taknayduna said:
at what point of your mma training did you first get hit in the face? of course, it hurt. does it still hurt the same now as before? would you say one could be accustomed to those hits? looking back, would you say you could take those face hits now as you grew accustomed to them or because there are simply individuals with inherent ability to take punches? or, are there techniques one can use to strengthen your face or your jaw? again of course, the point is not to be hit in the first place. but when the inevitable arise.....

during sparring, the face shots don't hurt me but I do feel them the next day. However, body shots have an immediate pain effect on me while sparring.

if you kept running into a brick wall, wventually you would get used to it

Got hit in the face in an "exhibition" boxing match. I use quotations cause even tho the guy fighting me supposedly wasn't going all out, he outweighed me by 58 lbs, that was why it couldn't be counted as a bout on my passport cuz the weight difference exceeded10 lbs.
Anyways...the first jab that landed on my nose seemed to put the back of my head between my shoulder blades. I didn't underestimate his speed again, but I got hit several more times in the head with hooks and overhand rights. That's when I thought: "hey, this is real!"
My very first, and to date only, MMA fight was under Pancrase-style rules. The guy was a great striker, but even tho I had no helmet for this one, he wasn't able to put me out, although not for lack of trying!

I think I'm blessed with a thick skull and dense bones in my jaw and cheeks.

The only way to become comfortable doing something is by doing it. You will never enjoy being hit. But, you won't be worried about it as much once you've grown accustomed to it. If you engage in a fight you just accept that you will be hit hard and try not to worry about it. When you eventually get hit hard you will be a lot less suprised and it will therefore hurt a lot less. You are in trouble when you're thinking more about getting hit than you are simply trying to react and defeat your opponent.

Someone wrote in this thread wrote which is worse getting hit in the face or solar plexis?

I'll take a shot to the face over a hard connecting bodyshot anyday of the week.

after a few bloody noses 6 stichs a few concostions and lot of black eyes you get used to it and in the ring it is differnt. With adrenilin you dont feel much more than pressure and afterwords you see the damage or the tapes and think" damn I took that!?"
my first fight I took on about one hr notice and had not been ready , I ended up taking 34 punches and 3 knees and only the last 3 crosses took me out at 4.56 of round one my nose was a little bloody was all I thought I left because my girl was freeking and when i stoped a Mcdonalds people where stareing at me. When i looked in the mirror i see that my eye is badly busted up my ear has an open wound that had been bleeding and my forehead and lips are all black and blue. It hadint felt like much but my face was fucked up. so yes you get used to it expecialy if your hyped up.

morganfreeman said:
Practice desensitizing your skull to punishment by lightly tapping your forehead 47 times with a ball peen hammer before sleep. Gradually increase the force with which you strike yourself. After a few weeks, you should be able to strike with full force. Your forehead is like your shins, it must be conditioned to cope with punishment. Once your forehead begins to calcify, move on to other points on the skull. Try it tonight.

ROFL

i got rocked on the nose today and it felt really weird. theres something bad about getting punched in the nose, but it didnt feel as bad as the last time it happened cos i guess this time i knew what to expect. so as people said, you will probably grow accustomed to it

It all depends on the amount of adrenaline going through your body and your mental awareness as to what is happening. If a 9-year old doesn't feel her leg biten off due to a shark's bite because her body has more important things to do than sit there paralysed with pain and either drown or get eaten up by the shark. Afterwards the pain comes because alerting you has become a priority.

It hurts more when you don't see the punches coming because your body then alerts you that you took damage (pain). Seeing the punches basically means the eye replies to the brain with "Duh..I know I got hit, stupid" hence lessening the pain. If you also go into the fight pumping with adrenaline the pain becomes even less significant. On top of that training will improve how to take a punch (rolling with the punch, improving neck muscles, head movement).

It never hurt me much to take shots to the head ... it just kind of stuns me, and I feel shocked in an abstract realization that I got hit so hard. There isn't really much pain. It doesn't improve over time in terms of pain/chin either, you just get less shock factor, and become more accustomed to it.

Getting hit hard to the body, on the other hand, hurts like a mofo, it's horrible. And the worst part is you have to keep fighting through it, even though your power is sucked out and you hurt so badly.

rah1 said:
^Yeah, but just the split second as the punch connects. Once this guy connected 3 consecutive hooks to my temple, it was like a strobe light... lol

Yeah, I also get a flash of light from taking a hook. Weird. Thankfully I sure as hell have never taken 3 consecutive hooks to the temple =O

Back