being hit in the face

taknayduna

White Belt
Reaction score
at what point of your mma training did you first get hit in the face? of course, it hurt. does it still hurt the same now as before? would you say one could be accustomed to those hits? looking back, would you say you could take those face hits now as you grew accustomed to them or because there are simply individuals with inherent ability to take punches? or, are there techniques one can use to strengthen your face or your jaw? again of course, the point is not to be hit in the first place. but when the inevitable arise.....

I've boxed...its not that bad. After your finished fighting you have this tingling feeling...kind of like your balls just got a little bigger. Sometimes I can't eat afterwords if my jaw is too sore. I'm sure its the same in MMA except the punches have more impact.

Getting hit in the face doesn't hurt when it happens, just afterwords.

it has nothing to do with the muscles or whatever in your face, some ppl just can take more on the chin, thats all

aside from that, i get the feeling you havnt really trained much? its not like you train to take a punch in a fight....the first time you ever spar you will get hit

training for a fight means sparring every day, alot, and you will get hit in the face and body, many times

you just have to get used to it, work your defence/headmovement/countering, all that shit
the biggest step is just getting over the innate fear of seeing apunch come towards your face

there's always a big learning curve with taking shots to the face, the more you take, the more you can handle... at least that's always been my experience. punch-drunk is your friend.

Working out you neck helps, keep your chin tucked in and its better to give than to recieve...

During a fight or a heavy sparring session you normally have a high amount af adrenaline running through your body and I don't really feel too much pain (it hurts a little). But the next day I feel absolutely everything, everywhere I have been hit is sore, tender and painful.

As for conditioning your face, I think you can train to become used to fighting on despite a bit of pain but I think your state of mind and the amount of adrenaline in your body plays a part.

You just have to realise and accept that at some stage of a fight or at training you will get hit and it will hurt.

you sorta get used to getting hit in the face in th regards that youll stop flinching and keeping your sight line but it still never ends up being fun.

tatakai said:
it has nothing to do with the muscles or whatever in your face, some ppl just can take more on the chin, thats all

aside from that, i get the feeling you havnt really trained much? its not like you train to take a punch in a fight....the first time you ever spar you will get hit

training for a fight means sparring every day, alot, and you will get hit in the face and body, many times

you just have to get used to it, work your defence/headmovement/countering, all that shit
the biggest step is just getting over the innate fear of seeing apunch come towards your face

i used to train in traditional martial arts [japanese] for a long time but even their so-called randori [freestyle fighting] isn't even close to what i am experiencing now doing mma. the only time i got hit in my years of training in traditional ma is when i was struck with a stick and it was supposed to be a very controlled scenario too. got a blackeye from it. didn't really hurt at that moment as some responders have written above, only afterwards when the bruise have turned darker and the spot sore and tender.

it has never hurt to me... the adrenaline is great for pain

do you guys suppose that biting hard would help as far as taking a punch to the jaw? or will it just make it easier for you to be knocked out?

oh, and which is worse to be punch in the jaw or in the solar plexus?

taknayduna said:
do you guys suppose that biting hard would help as far as taking a punch to the jaw? or will it just make it easier for you to be knocked out?

You should always bite on your mouth piece when sparring.

EDIT: And it hurts a whole lot more to be hit in the solar plexus.

I used to backyard box in highschool, and I remember absolutley sucking at it and getting smacked repeatedly in the face and thinking: "This fucking hurts."

Last year I got to go toe to toe with one of those "red man" guys, the guy covered from head to toe with body armor. He was really trying to kick my ass. He punched me right in the nose with his first flurry of punches and broke my nose. He called the fight at that moment, realizing that he had really connected. I felt the pain right away, but could have kept going. About a minute later I thought for sure I had a skull fracture it hurt so bad. My nose "clicked" when pressed for about 2 months afterwards, and I had racoon eyes for a couple weeks.

That said: It seems to me that I could have kept going at that point, and that my adrenaline and dopamines would have kicked in and made it bad for the other guy. It felt like retard strength was about to kick in.

Getting hit in the face doesnt hurt unless its a hard right straight to the nose. At least thats my experience.

who knows, it's forgotten. It's like counting how many tmes you got hit. after awhile, you just lose track. and who really cares.

how do you minimize that shock feeling u get when it feels like your brain shook inside your head

supmaynnn said:
how do you minimize that shock feeling u get when it feels like your brain shook inside your head

Practice desensitizing your skull to punishment by lightly tapping your forehead 47 times with a ball peen hammer before sleep. Gradually increase the force with which you strike yourself. After a few weeks, you should be able to strike with full force. Your forehead is like your shins, it must be conditioned to cope with punishment. Once your forehead begins to calcify, move on to other points on the skull. Try it tonight.

morganfreeman said:
Practice desensitizing your skull to punishment by lightly tapping your forehead 47 times with a ball peen hammer before sleep. Gradually increase the force with which you strike yourself. After a few weeks, you should be able to strike with full force. Your forehead is like your shins, it must be conditioned to cope with punishment. Once your forehead begins to calcify, move on to other points on the skull. Try it tonight.

no, don't do this

^^ OMG dont listen to that hahah, all i got to say is that the forehead and top of the head is made for protecting the brain so if u take shots to the forehead it wont be as bad.

Back