Being a rockstar hasn't paid off yet, so I'm learning to fight.

FaceEraser

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Really though, I needed a new hobby, as playing in bands over the last 7 or 8 years isn't as thrilling as it used to be. Started training in MMA in February. I've shed about 30 pounds since starting, and I'm now trying to put some weight back on.

Current stats:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 184lbs.

I'd like to put on 10lbs lean muscle while trimming the fat I still have. Need calipers to find out what % body fat I currently am at. I'll probably get them tomorrow. I don't lift nearly enough right now to get to where I want to be, but I figure if I start keeping a log of what I'm doing I'll have a better idea where I can make adjustments with the time I have.

I guess I'll start off with what I did today before work.

-1 hour BJJ: 30 minutes technique, four 6 minute rounds of rolling.
-1 hour boxing: Two rounds skipping, two shadow boxing, the rest of the hour was pad work. No sparring partners today.

Really though, I needed a new hobby, as playing in bands over the last 7 or 8 years isn't as thrilling as it used to be. Started training in MMA in February. I've shed about 30 pounds since starting, and I'm now trying to put some weight back on.

Current stats:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 184lbs.

I'd like to put on 10lbs lean muscle while trimming the fat I still have. Need calipers to find out what % body fat I currently am at. I'll probably get them tomorrow. I don't lift nearly enough right now to get to where I want to be, but I figure if I start keeping a log of what I'm doing I'll have a better idea where I can make adjustments with the time I have.

I guess I'll start off with what I did today before work.

-1 hour BJJ: 30 minutes technique, four 6 minute rounds of rolling.
-1 hour boxing: Two rounds skipping, two shadow boxing, the rest of the hour was pad work. No sparring partners today.

first, congrats on finding a new hobbie. Second, that's a lot of training piled into one day, are you doing this 5 days a week? If so, that would explain the shedding of pounds. With that amount of training a week, I would say the best way to pack on lean muscle is to keep training like you are and make sure you are eating healthy / lean, and eating ALOT. Your burning a ton of calories during that two hour period, so make sure your body is getting the proper food intake to sustain... don't want to start burning muscle.

first, congrats on finding a new hobbie. Second, that's a lot of training piled into one day, are you doing this 5 days a week? If so, that would explain the shedding of pounds. With that amount of training a week, I would say the best way to pack on lean muscle is to keep training like you are and make sure you are eating healthy / lean, and eating ALOT. Your burning a ton of calories during that two hour period, so make sure your body is getting the proper food intake to sustain... don't want to start burning muscle.

I've been wondering how much is too much, or if there was too much. Right now it's all still really new and awesome so I've been going as much as possible. I go up to 5 days a week, but not always, just depends on my work schedule which is never the same two times in a row. But at most:

Monday Night: 2 hours Muay Thai, followed by 15 minutes conditioning
Tuesday Morning: 1 hour Jiu Jitsu, 1 hour boxing
Tuesday Night: 2 and a half hours Jiu Jitsu, broken into two sessions.
Wednesday Night: 1 hour Muay Thai, 1 hour Muay Thai or BJJ
Thursday Morning: 1 hour Jiu Jitsu, 1 hour boxing
Thursday Night: 1 or 2 and half hours BJJ, 1 hour Muay Thai.
Friday: Off
Saturday Morning: 1 hour boxing
Sunday: Off

Sometimes I'm only make it to three of those days, and I'll put heavy lifting on the two days I can make it (have some home gym equipment).

As far as diet, I try to follow the guidelines set out on the forums here. I eat 5 times a day, try to down a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Stay away from junk food for the most part(90% of the time, I'm stil working on the other 10%).

I wasn't exactly in any kind of shape before I started all of this so the shed pounds is mostly from the fact that I've stopped drinking, smoking pot, eating fast food, drinking soda, etc etc. I'm happy with how my body is coming along, but down the road if I fight I'd like to compete at 185, or at 189 the next time NAGA rolls around town.

Currently taking:

-Fish Oil
-Greens Supplement
-ON Gold Standard Whey Protein PWO
-ON Gold Standard Egg Protein at the end of the night or in the mornings if I feel like I haven't gotten enough protein through regular foods. I know some people are asking why I have two different protein drinks. My uncle got a free tub of the egg stuff so he gave it to me. I figured I didn't need a fast absorbing protein in non-PWO situations, and read that egg protein is supposed to be "the most complete," so I'm giving it a try.
-ON Pre-Load Creatine: I'm pretty sure this stuff kinda sucks. I bought it before I knew much about creatine and wish I had gotten something that was just creatine monohydrate, not something with a bunch of other stuff mixed in.
-Beta Alanine
-L-Carnitine

Well, my original response finally showed up, so I just deleted the repost here. First one is more detailed anyway.

Last edited:
No work today, went grocery shopping to stock up on food to take to work.

6:30-7:30PM: Muay Thai. Light stretching, 25 jumping jacks, 25 push-ups, 25 crunches, 25 squats. Paired up, worked technique on kick shields and pads. Small class tonight, most people were probably watching the fight. No good partners tonight. Both beginners, very short, didn't have the endurance/know how to really hold pads properly. Nothing against them, everyone starts somewhere, and it's good to see new faces.

7:30-9:00PM: BJJ. Spent an hour working on defending the kimura and transitioning to to side control. Five 5 minute rounds rolling.

Didn't stay for the 15 minutes of conditioning/cardio after. Already tired, need some gas in the tank for the morning.

Morning session down. Weighed 182lbs before training.

9-10AM: BJJ. Worked more kimura offence, defense, and counters. 3 rounds rolling, only one other guy in class today.

10-11AM: Boxing. 2 rounds skipping, 2 rounds shadow. Pad work, three rounds light sparring. 2nd round I was only allowed to throw the jab, need to work on using my reach, turning the corner and keeping my opponent off balance. 3rd round I wasn't allowed to punch at all. Just slip, block, footwork, and was encouraged to take a few shots. I still have a tendency to start lifting my chin when someone comes in on me.

6:30-7:30PM / BJJ. More kimura work. 4 rounds rolling.
7:30-8:30PM / MT. Warm up was good, floor exercise, parter body weight exercise.

Feeling pretty good. Weighed 180 when I walked out.

Welcome to the logs, I know nothing about BJJ, MMA, boxing or weight training but feel free to ask me questions.

Monday, training week starts again!

6:30-8:30: Muay Thai.
BJJ was still going on when I was finished with MT, so I got in a few rounds rolling.
15 minutes cardio: Sprints, sprawls, burpees, army crawl, shrimping, partner wheel barrels, planks, bear crawls. Not in that particular order, just randomly as it was called for 15 minutes.

Walked out at 184lbs.

9:00-10:00AM- BJJ. Worked the gogoplata. 5 rounds rolling
10:00-11:00AM- Boxing. Sparred today, got my ass handed to me.

6:30-7:30PM: Muay Thai. Was invited to spar today. Pussied out and passed. My confidence may be lacking after getting crushed yesterday. I know I need to jump back in it and get over it.

7:30-9:00: BJJ. Worked on guard passing drills. 5 rounds rolling. Felt pretty good. Endurance is improving.

Finished the night with 15 minutes conditioning. Almost went home, coach encouraged me to stay. Sprints, burpees, planks, shrimps, army crawl, push ups.

6:30-7:30: BJJ. Quick class, worked more gaurd passing. 5 rounds rolling.
7:30-8:30: MT. Felt good. Coach encouraged me to spar with them next week.

Haven't update in a week or two. Got lazy. With updating, not training.

Schedule pretty much went as it's been going. Dropped a tuesday morning once or twice because I needed sleep.

Finally sparred in Muay Thai. Loved it, but I busted up my foot throwing switch kicks. I'm a south paw, so that would be my right foot. Swelling went down in a little less than a week. Then last thursday I threw my rear kick from too far out, took a knee check right to the top of my foot. It blew up, and I've decided to take some time off from MMA training to let it get better.

Felt lazy last night so I did some strength & conditioning at home. I don't have everything I'd like to work out with at home but here's what I did with what I have.

8x5 dumbbell squat: Two 30lb dumbbells. I'll eventually replace this with barbell squats as soon as I scrape together the cash for an olympic set. Standard size barbell just doesn't work out. I try to do these fast & controlled, as the weight itself isn't much of a challenge.

5x5 BP: Only at 120lbs. Pathetic, I know. I'm working on it! I don't spend much time lifting.

Chins: 3xF.

Reverse Crunch: 5x13

Heavy Bag Flips: The mount for my heavy bag (70lbs) broke and it's just been laying on the garage floor. I don't have a giant tire around so I decided to start squatting and flipping the bag back and forth across the driveway. Was surprised at the burn i started to feel. I'll probably do them again.

Anyway, that's what I did last night. I also do overhead press, push ups, inverted rows, usually swapping them out with one of the other exercises (except for squats, I always squat).

Also, I have an old bowflex at my house (one of my moms purchases from years and years ago. She used to buy lots of equipment that only got used for about a month). Any exercises on this thing that could be useful? I don't do any resistance training right now.

Alright, long post, I must be bored. I'm out!

Time to update this thing again! I fractured my ankle during muay thai at the end of october. Wasn't able to start seriously training again until early january, though I did try to keep up with my lifting.

I'll try to update daily again, but here's what I did this week. Oh and for strength I'm following stronglifts 5x5.

Monday: MT sparring, 6 alternating 2minute rounds between free spar and clinch spar
Tuesday: Squat @ 185, BP @ 125, Inverted Row 3xF, Push-Ups 3xF.
Wednesday: MT @Noon-1PM. BJJ @7:30-9PM
Thursday: Squat @ 190, Overhead Press @ 100, DL @ 215, 3xF chins. MT @ 7:30-8:30PM.
Friday: Boxing & MT @ 5:30-7:30PM.

I have a cold or flu or something that is generally making me feel like crap, otherwise I would have lifted today.

I need more BJJ!

Ok. Doing really bad at keeping up with this. Didn't train much last week, fever kept me in bed for a few days.

Thursday: Muay Thai 7:30-8:30pm.
Monday AM: SL5x5 Squat @ 190, BP@ 130, Inverted Row 3xF, Push-Ups 3xF
Monday PM: 6 rounds muay thai sparring. 45 minute rest, pad & bag work 45 minutes, 3 rounds clinch sparring.

Man I suck at this.

Wednesday AM: 1HR Muay Thai. Pad work, clinch spar.
Wednesday PM: SL5x5 Squat @200, OP @105, DL @ 220, Chins 3XF

Thursday PM: 1HR Muay Thai.

Still failing at keeping this updated...BUT..

I have my first fight this Saturday. First fight was originally supposed to be the TBA Classic in June, but my coach wants me to take this fight so the tourny in June isn't my first (gotta win that belt).

Been training pretty exclusively muay thai the last couple months. Jiu-Jitsu maybe once a week. Miss it, but need to focus my efforts for these upcoming fights. Started going to this place called Xtreme Speed once a week for conditioning. Dropped my heavy lifting until after the tournament.

Weight is back down, at 183lbs, from 190lbs in march.

Tapering down this week. A few rounds skipping, a few rounds pad work, 3 rounds light sparring today.

Back