Behold - The only Olympics medal table that really counts: PER CAPITA

any country that values table tennis the same as basketball is wrong, plain and simple. to think otherwise is ludicrous. same goes for Darts, Bowling, etc....not every olympic sport is the same, ffs ballroom dancing was a summer olympic event a few times, gtfo

everyone knows what a real sport is, and what a real athlete is. the only people that act like they don't, or that the definition of an athlete is not common are people that are proponents of can sports that take no athleticism. when you're a kid, what would cause you to say 'man, that kid is really athletic?" Some kid playing ping pong or handball? fuck no
pretty much the NFL combine, strength, speed and agility being the largest components, and then hand/eye coordination and reaction time.

I apologise for being insensitive. I thought English was your first language.

Maybe try google translate to keep up with the discussion and please try to explain yourself a little better than you have done so far.

If not? Well, EU > Everyone else.
in what, terrorist attacks?

b/c the US has more golds (and total medals) than Germany, France, and Italy (top 3 EU countries if we don't count UK) COMBINED

I apologise for being insensitive. I thought English was your first language.

Maybe try google translate to keep up with the discussion and please try to explain yourself a little better than you have done so far.
i apologize that you thought you were funny and not pedantic in this post.

you tried tho

in what, terrorist attacks?

b/c the US has more golds (and total medals) than Germany, France, and Italy (top 3 EU countries if we don't count UK) COMBINED

US 320 million people.... Most impressive.

That's interesting, I didn't realize the extent of government funding. Do other European countries do similar funding?

I have no idea about the other European countries tbh. I know some, like France, have a similar thing going.

Technically it's not really government funding. The funding comes from a percentage of the National Lottery prize money so only people who play the lottery are paying towards this. There is some level of government funding for sport but that will obviously vary with government policy etc. Lottery funding is pretty much guaranteed money for elite athletes- at least until the lottery have a change of policy etc.

I guarantee that if this funding ever stops, GB will go right back to being a top 20 nation at the Olympics.

US 320 million people.... Most impressive.
it is, b/c the best athletes in our country, the center of virtually every major sports league except Soccer go towards those sports. Yet, we still run shit in swimming, gymnastics, etc... w/ people that are far from the best athletes from our populace. Nobody cares about most olympic sports here, yet we pretty much always have the most medals, weird how that works out.

Other countries, including those in Europe, don't really have that issue. I lived in europe from 09-13, yes they love their soccer (like an insane amount, we have nothing on that level in the US b/c interest is dividing up between numerous sports) and basketball to a lesser degree in Spain, Italy, Germany, France. But your best athletes are going towards the Olympics, as they don't have the same avenues we do in the US. That is exponentially worse for third world countries in Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Asia. They don't have the benefit of the Premier Leagues, Spanish leagues, Bundesligas of Europe

I'm not saying what the UK and other EU nations (and canada and japan) is doing isn't impressive. It is, certainly. I'm just saying i think you're downplaying what the US is doing is all

i apologize that you thought you were funny and not pedantic in this post.

you tried tho

Clearly I tried much harder to be humerous than you did to make your point because I still have no idea what you were trying to say.

Clearly I tried much harder to be humerous than you did to make your point because I still have no idea what you were trying to say.
do you agree that winning the gold in say a track sprinting event is on par w/ winning a gold in rhythmic gymnastics? or synchronized swimming? If you do, that's cool, but i respectfully disagree on that

any country that values table tennis the same as basketball is wrong, plain and simple. to think otherwise is ludicrous. same goes for Darts, Bowling, etc....not every sport or Olympic event is the same, ffs ballroom dancing was a summer olympic event a few times, gtfo

everyone knows what a real sport is, and what a real athlete is. the only people that act like they don't, or that the definition of an athlete is not common are people that are proponents of can sports that take no athleticism. when you're a kid, what would cause you to say 'man, that kid is really athletic?" Some kid playing ping pong or handball? fuck no
pretty much the NFL combine, strength, speed and agility being the largest components, and then hand/eye coordination and reaction time.

Handball is sweet. That and Rugby should be the next sports that the US adopt. It's way better than gymnastics.

it is, b/c the best athletes in our country, the center of virtually every major sports league except Soccer go towards those sports. Yet, we still run shit in swimming, gymnastics, etc... w/ people that are far from the best athletes from our populace. Nobody cares about most olympic sports here, yet we pretty much always have the most medals, weird how that works out.

Other countries, including those in Europe, don't really have that issue. I lived in europe from 09-13, yes they love their soccer (like an insane amount, we have nothing on that level in the US b/c interest is dividing up between numerous sports) and basketball to a lesser degree in Spain, Italy, Germany, France. But your best athletes are going towards the Olympics, as they don't have the same avenues we do in the US. That is exponentially worse for third world countries in Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Asia. They don't have the benefit of the Premier Leagues, Spanish leagues, Bundesligas of Europe

I'm not saying what the UK and other EU nations (and canada and japan) is doing isn't impressive. It is, certainly. I'm just saying i think you're downplaying what the US is doing is all

Not downplaying anything.

I gave a simple statement then you started talking about terrorist attacks.

The EU is close to 90 gold medals atm I do believe.

I don't think the US is unimpressive at all. China however, with their 1 billion people is, yea, kind of unimpressive.

do you agree that winning the gold in say a track sprinting event is on par w/ winning a gold in rhythmic gymnastics? or synchronized swimming? If you do, that's cool, but i respectfully disagree on that

I think a gold for China in table tennis is pretty similar to a gold for USA in basketball in many ways.

Handball is sweet. That and Rugby should be the next sports that the US adopt. It's way better than gymnastics.
i know, it's actually a legit sport, popular in germany (i think Dirk's mom or dad was on the national team, the other was on the bball team, communist experiment ala Yao i tell you)

Rugby is ultra badass, but the lack of pads will never get it passed here. football, hockey, lacrosse being KINDA similar too

Not downplaying anything.

I gave a simple statement then you started talking about terrorist attacks.

The EU is close to 90 gold medals atm I do believe.

I don't think the US is unimpressive at all. China however, with their 1 billion people is, yea, kind of unimpressive.
while true about China, you gotta factor in the average height/weight there, and the lack of food/utilities in vast swaths of the country. so the population number, like India, is awfully misleading. Clearly, the UK does better drawing from it's i don't know 30M people or whatnot

I think a gold for China in table tennis is pretty similar to a gold for USA in basketball in many ways.

The Chinese compete amongst each other for individual glory at least. Basketball is just one country.

while true about China, you gotta factor in the average height/weight there, and the lack of food/utilities in vast swaths of the country. so the population number, like India, is awfully misleading. Clearly, the UK does better drawing from it's i don't know 30M people or whatnot

China has state sponsored athletics where they force kids from a young age to become awesome at stuff. This Olympics has definitely been disappointing for them.

i don't, china loves basketball they just don't have the height/athleticism outta that almost 2B people to compete better than they do

i mean they literally created Yao Ming in an attempt to be better at basketball

they only care about diving/table tennis b/c there's mad 'midgets' in China, they can't hang in track/field and sports that require size to them

i was gonna say chinese probably aren't used to competing in clean air, but i sincerely doubt Brazil is doing great in that regard haha

Wow this jermymilo kid is full on ultimate butt rustled LOL!! Spending way to much energy arguing a moot and absolutely worthless point.

USA 113
41 GOLDS

USA USA USA

at least we all care enough to argue

can't say the same for the winter olympics, at least for me. i give zero shits about them

they only care about diving/table tennis b/c there's mad 'midgets' in China, they can't hang in track/field and sports that require size to them

Liu Xiang set the 110m hurdle world record twice. They don't all suck.

Liu Xiang set the 110m hurdle world record twice. They don't all suck.
respect, i didn't even know that. at a certain pt, when you have over a BILLION people, there's gonna be some outliers.

but the lack of even asian americans in the NBA, NFL, boxing, shit even gymnastics i think says alot

also, it makes one hopefully appreciate Jeremy Lin more than he is, which is practically zero to non asians

edit: i realize his family is from Taiwan, but they likely went over w/ the Chiang Kai Shek people that Mao displaced so i'm counting him as Chinese for this

Back