Beginning White Belt BJJ

F

FallenAngelHIM

Hey Sherdog forrum,
My name is Peter and I recently began training in Muay Thai around July. I got twice a week and then spar one Saturdays. In the last few weeks I've been feeling my way around Muay Thai comfortably and decided to take my MMA training to the next level by adding BJJ.

Next week I will begin adding BJJ training to my arsenal and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or tips. I will be doing Gi BJJ at Carlson Gracie Miami.

Any opening insights for beginnings, tips on getting around, or anything particular to look for. Also, if anyone has any stories to share about their first time in BJJ would be great.

Thanks guys. Love the information I'm getting through the forums.

try to work on your technique when drilling. don't try to muscle through everything.

Relax. Enjoy the ride. Do gi and no gi if you can. Both are different animals but cross over does occur. Be respectful and friendly. You should be good, it's alot of fun and I'm having the time of my life right now.

Hello Peter,

Don't try and muscle people around. Also don't go for quick subs. Try to learn the game. You're gonna lose plenty but just put your time in, just like you did with striking.

If you're in someone's guard, try to pass - don't try any chokes/armlocks etc. Even if they manage to work. You will just slow down your progress in learning one of the most important skills in BJJ.

look at the little things your instructor is doing while teaching you moves during class... it's the little subtle things that make all the difference.

also ask a lot of questions after you roll. like when could i have done better after being tapped by a higher belt.

Hello Peter,

Don't try and muscle people around. Also don't go for quick subs. Try to learn the game. You're gonna lose plenty but just put your time in, just like you did with striking.

That's decent advice there, man. I remember when I first started Muay Thai it was the most challenging thing I've done. It was hell loads of fun, but getting hit in the face and hitting people was hard to get used to. I can relate to what you are saying cause only recently did I get used to getting hit without flinching or cowering away and hitting people without feeling bad (not hitting them full force is a douche-y way, but normal sparring hits).

Thanks guys. I'm super excited and can't wait. I picked up a gi from my local MMA shop.

That's decent advice there, man. I remember when I first started Muay Thai it was the most challenging thing I've done. It was hell loads of fun, but getting hit in the face and hitting people was hard to get used to. I can relate to what you are saying cause only recently did I get used to getting hit without flinching or cowering away and hitting people without feeling bad (not hitting them full force is a douche-y way, but normal sparring hits).

Thanks guys. I'm super excited and can't wait. I picked up a gi from my local MMA shop.

Cool...

Also, there is no hitting in jiu jitsu. However, you will be able to go full force eventually without getting hurt. I never really liked punching people to hurt them. (unless they were trying to hurt me)

Time and place... Don't waste your energy...If you can't make something work; try something else...

Cool...

Also, there is no hitting in jiu jitsu. However, you will be able to go full force eventually without getting hurt. I never really liked punching people to hurt them. (unless they were trying to hurt me)

Time and place... Don't waste your energy...If you can't make something work; try something else...
He did mention MMA though so maybe he wants to train that someday, so my advice would be thae when you are on back, try to sweep/sub asap. Reason for that is GnP, recently i went to MMA classes (i train muay thai and bjj) and i am usually lazy in bjj/nogi waiting other guy to do something which aint such good idea in MMA for obvious reason.

congrats on your start!

Remember that training is to learn and get better, not macho competition. Tap to submissions early, and don't crank on your partner. You are there to learn. Feel free to tell a partner that if he is also new and overzealous.

Also, like some one else mentioned here - try not to muscle guys around. If you can get good with methodical fluid techniques you will be that much better when you actually do use brute force. Focus on the small things and getting them right.

Hey Sherdog forrum,
My name is Peter and I recently began training in Muay Thai around July. I got twice a week and then spar one Saturdays. In the last few weeks I've been feeling my way around Muay Thai comfortably and decided to take my MMA training to the next level by adding BJJ.

Next week I will begin adding BJJ training to my arsenal and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or tips. I will be doing Gi BJJ at Carlson Gracie Miami.

Any opening insights for beginnings, tips on getting around, or anything particular to look for. Also, if anyone has any stories to share about their first time in BJJ would be great.

Thanks guys. Love the information I'm getting through the forums.

I think at first it helps to suss out who in the class is going to talk to you and explain things off their own back (no pun intended). The instructor can only explain to each person so much, however it helped me a lot that I found someone (other than the instructor) who was willing to go out there way and talk to me while we rolled. The smaller the class the more you will learn. Also at first try and stick to people your own size. At white belt level size and strength plays a big part. Rolling with guys your own size will be much easier. And as has already been said pay attention and ask lots of questions.

Get some Ibuprofen and lots of it , i started 3 months ago and regarding the selfdefense i can guarentee that itll work, every weekend im so beatup that i dont even consider going out :), i basicly had every part of my body damaged might be because im to old for this.
Besides that as everyone else say go easy and try to get most out of it, starting is rough but i love it and i cant imagine stop training, in our gym we do however hit eachother during exercises not full blast just enough to make opponent be aware of openings.

Bjj is addicting and as soon u got the virus there is no way out :)

Why isn't there a sticky topic like this , about what to expect on your first day of Bjj class?

I'm going to go in a different direction than the other posters and suggest you make sure you actually try to do something while rolling. I was rolling with this semi-new guy (3 weeks training maybe) the other day and he would just NOT move at all. He wouldn't even attempt to do anything from inside my guard, while I was inside his guard, and when he was mounted he didn't even attempt to move a finger.

I know you probably won't know a lot of moves but don't just sit there like a zombie and not try out anything. A lot of times you learn by doing something wrong and finding out just what doesn't work.

Another great tip - always ask for advice after you finish your roll with someone, or maybe after practice, just ask them 1 or 2 things they saw you doing wrong that you can quickly fix. A lot of guys would love to give you a little advice, because it will help them to get better as well.

Get beat up and be thankful for it. Thats how your going to learn the fastest. just be sure to always keep your confidence

Hey guys. I've had 2 classes so far and I love it. The first class I took was huge so our sensei did not have too much time to spend with me. He let me work on a technique with the white belts. I had a peer there that also goes to my Muay Thai class so I was lucky not being the awkward new kid who stands there with no partner. Then the sensei told me he wants me to just observe and watch the class spar so I can get used to the pace and the way things work during class. There was 5 students who got promoted with stripes and it was funny because I saw the ritual of them walking down the line getting smacked by everyone's belt.

Went back for a second class and he had me work basic routines to warm up. It was a lot smaller class so he had some time for one-on-one with me. He had to work hip escape/shrimping (feet planted down, butt off the matt pushing body away left or right), falling on the mat, and rolling over. Once I did those exercises, he paired me up with a dummy to teach me the thumbchoke and the x choke. Then he paired me up with a student so I can practice on a live person and then had the move done to me so I can see/feel what it was like. After that, he had that student teach me the americana. I had an awesome experience. The student I was working with after a while starting stiffening his arms once he felt I was comfortable with how to properly execute the americana so that I had to work my way to getting his arm into position.

Overall, it was great and now I train BJJ every other day from my Muay Thai.

Thanks for the support and advice guys.

Please, include any other advice or suggestion you may have for the future.

Back