Beginning Fighting

MCanavan6

White Belt
Reaction score
First off I have never been in a serious fight in my entire life. I did almost get into one the other day but was able to get out of it. But had I gotten into that fight I would have had no chance which is why I want to start training some type of self defense. Any ideas on which styles I should look into learning for self defense and possibly even competing?

It depends on what you want to do, honestly. If you are interested in grappling sign up for BJJ. If you are still in high school, I would join the wrestling team next season. If you are interested in stand up fighting you can try either muay thai, or boxing.

If all you want is to learn some basic, practical self defense for the streets, just take a self defense class somewhere.

BJJ is excellent for simple self-defense, since you're not likely to be facing a superior striker in a bar-fight (or schoolyard fight, as the case may be). You can finish a fight without sustaining any damage or severely hurting the other person. But a year put into almost any practical martial art is probably all you would need for self defense.

Combat Sambo would be badass. Basically MMA, just it deals with non-cage situations. I hear they even teach you to fight with a chair hahaha.

Some sort of combat jujitsu. That's what the special forces Close Quarters Combat fighting systems are based on.

I'm thinking of learning something like Muay Thai or Boxing and then adding in BJJ or Judo or something once I learn the first, I'm just not sure which ones to choose?

self defense... get a concealed handgun permit

sport and fun... BJJ and Muay Thai

BJJ is excellent for simple self-defense, since you're not likely to be facing a superior striker in a bar-fight (or schoolyard fight, as the case may be). You can finish a fight without sustaining any damage or severely hurting the other person. But a year put into almost any practical martial art is probably all you would need for self defense.

i wouldnt say simple. but if you master simple techniques you can go far.

Ok so probably BJJ/Muay Thai is the best combo. Which one should I do first or should I train both at the same time?

Ok so probably BJJ/Muay Thai is the best combo. Which one should I do first or should I train both at the same time?

Try a week of each and decide which one you prefer/can afford.

good balance, power and HEADBUTS, HEADBUTS, HEADBUTS!!! that's what you need in a propper fight..

well, it has served me well :D

I'm thinking of learning something like Muay Thai or Boxing and then adding in BJJ or Judo or something once I learn the first, I'm just not sure which ones to choose?

Boxing. Hands should be your primary striking weapon. Once you're competent you should then think about kicks. That's my twopennorth.

First off I have never been in a serious fight in my entire life. I did almost get into one the other day but was able to get out of it. But had I gotten into that fight I would have had no chance which is why I want to start training some type of self defense. Any ideas on which styles I should look into learning for self defense and possibly even competing?

Train Muay Thai.

Back