Beginners Krav Maga class, what should I expect to learn?

ramzie4718

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So im going to start training Krav Maga in a beginners class that will last about 2-3 months. What should I expect to learn and how will the training be?

groin shot, eye gouge

how about instead you try something more practical, something that will at least get you in shape :icon_neut

You won't learn much in the beginning classes to be honest. Some basic kicks and punches, a few choke and hold defenses.

Pocky Jocky does bring up a point about Krav that I agree with. The physical conditioning typically doesn't compare to the exercise you'd get in a good MMA gym. I say typically because there are schools out there that will whip your ass into shape, but I've found that many in America don't.

In boxing and kickboxing you get to train full contact. That is invaluable. Practicing technique and learning to keep your composure when you've just been hit square in the nose is something every martial artist needs, there's just no substitute for it.

There is full contact sparring in Krav Maga, but you won't get to that until the intermediate/advanced levels of training. And obviously we don't actually kick each other in the balls or poke each other's eyes out.

When I trained in Krav with my friend, when it came to sparring we completely outclassed most of the students, even ones that had been there for a couple years. That's because we both had prior training in boxing, muay thai, bjj and some other TMA's.

But when it came to the instructors, I can tell you those guys knew their shit.

You will learn techniques in Krav, techniques that work, that you'll never learn in any MMA gym or TMA school, that's why I love it and plan on continuing.

You won't learn much in the beginning classes to be honest. Some basic kicks and punches, a few choke and hold defenses.

Pocky Jocky does bring up a point about Krav that I agree with. The physical conditioning typically doesn't compare to the exercise you'd get in a good MMA gym. I say typically because there are schools out there that will whip your ass into shape, but I've found that many in America don't.

In boxing and kickboxing you get to train full contact. That is invaluable. Practicing technique and learning to keep your composure when you've just been hit square in the nose is something every martial artist needs, there's just no substitute for it.

There is full contact sparring in Krav Maga, but you won't get to that until the intermediate/advanced levels of training. And obviously we don't actually kick each other in the balls or poke each other's eyes out.

When I trained in Krav with my friend, when it came to sparring we completely outclassed most of the students, even ones that had been there for a couple years. That's because we both had prior training in boxing, muay thai, bjj and some other TMA's.

But when it came to the instructors, I can tell you those guys knew their shit.

You will learn techniques in Krav, techniques that work, that you'll never learn in any MMA gym or TMA school, that's why I love it and plan on continuing.

Thanks for the info!

Im happy cause we are actually gonna do some nogi sparring in the beginners class. And after 2-3 months standup sparring comes in.

Basic 1-2 punchs groin kick, elbows, hammer fists, simple choke scapes. Well, at least it's like that here in Brazil.

Absolutely in 3 months you will learn good techniques if you are devoted you will learn good punches and kicks and techniques like what do in choke situations and stuff KM is for aperson who wants to learn to defend himself/herself in a usually unexpected fight, and its a very good exercise stretching, abs, biceps hope this helps

Back