Beginner's Guide to BJJ Competition

Enraged Mongol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, there are a lot of first time competitors that ask questions about preparing for tournaments, so I thought I may write up a guide of sorts. I hope this gets a sticky! There are a couple important things I am going to address in the following:

Setting Goals/Organizing

few tips from Saulo Ribeiro:

›› If you are still “in college,” or in other words, brown belt and below, it is hard to study your adversaries since you don’t have much access to videos of these belt groups, with the exception of such notables as Roger, Garcia, Br

I just read the advice posted here and thought it was great. I am a white belt and have only one competition under my belt. I have since been watching training videos at www.learnbjjtechniques.com and have improved my game a great deal. I watch the videos and then bring the new techniques to the gym where I try them out. I also find watching BJJ videos all the time I am developing the train of thought to transition from one move to another or know what to do better in certain positions. Hope this helps someone out.

STICKY THIS

iv done a lot of tourneys in a wide variety of sports...
i do all these things no matter what...

for white belts. if your above a white belt this would be no use. because if your a blue belt and dont know how to ... cut weight/ use cardio. etc. you dont deserve to be a blue belt.

but good ready

for white belts. if your above a white belt this would be no use. because if your a blue belt and dont know how to ... cut weight/ use cardio. etc. you dont deserve to be a blue belt.

but good ready
I don't think being experienced in cutting weight should be a prerequisite for getting a blue belt. Some people have the balls to fight at their natural weight.

but good ready

Some peple never cut weight in there life and your sayig they shoudl't ever be a blue belt....I'm not so sure about that

yea my first instructor scott was a purple and never cut weight...

though his doctors were tellin him too... he was a big boy lol

WOW arrive 2hrs before--- i really cudnt see the point of being there extra if my division is later on --- and im not needed to be there-- but i agree sports halls are always packed

saulo riberios guide is very good

Back