Beginner's equipment?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by JZT, Aug 15, 2010.

1. JZT

JZT Banned Banned

Hey everyone, I'm looking to start training soon. I've done judo in the past (blue belt) and some muay thai for about 6 months.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what equipment I'd need for Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ (no GI) classes as a beginner and also an estimated cost of everything (I know it varies depending on quality / brand).

My list so far:
    -Mouthpiece
    -Headgear
    -Sparring gloves
    -Shin pads

I've already got bag gloves (lighter ones). I was thinking I might need the bands to wrap around your hands too, but not sure, some people were using them in my MT classes, some weren't.

I'd also appreciate it if some more knowledgeble people could point me out towards the good brands and what to avoid, etc.

Thanks a lot and sorry if I come off as a total newb lol

2. theSkeptiks

theSkeptiks Blue Belt

Needed for Muay Thai.
    - Mouthpiece
    - hand wraps ( you DO need these to protect your hand bones)
    - Muay Thai shorts and MMA shorts (for nogi)
    - comfortable t-shirt and rashguard (RG for nogi, but good for MT too)
    - 16 oz gloves for class and sparring
    - shin guards
    - bag gloves
    - headgear

That's all you need.
    What brands you buy are all based on your budget and taste in colors and designs.

What I recommend:
    - Shock Doctor boil and bite mouthguard to start, custom fit once you know you're sticking with this.
    - any brand will do with handwraps, just get some with some elasticity in them
    - I like twins and fairtex MT shorts. I like Sprawl, Bad Boy and Kaizen mma shorts
    - I use undearmour sleevless t-shirt in MT, and Manto & Bad Boy Rashguards
    - I love my Windy 16 oz gloves and my Fairtex, but Cageside MMA makes a good glove for less money too.
    - I use Combat Sports gel shinguards, but many other good ones to pick
    - you said you have bag gloves already
    - headgear I like my Fairtex, but it is kind of hard and thin. Many too choose from, just check out ringside.com or Title MMA.com for good choices

Aprroximate price for all of this would be around $300-$400...this can be reduced a little and this can easily be increased too.

Have fun!

3. shootermcgavin7

shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

In addition to the theSkeptiks list, you will also probably want a cup. A lot of websites sell the Shock Doctor cup + compression short combo for less than $30.

I think Cageside MMA has this combo with a Shock Doctor mouthpiece as well.

4. theSkeptiks

theSkeptiks Blue Belt

^^^ YES, this ^^^

I sparred one time without a cup...that did not end well.
    :icon_chee

5. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

ECS answered a similar thread, but that was the top of the line gear

The only recommendation I'll toss in is the cup: go with Jaco. I've had Shock Doctor and Nutty Buddy and have been racked by both. Only once so far with Jaco and that was a swift kick to the goods during MT sparring. That doesn't/shouldn't happen often.

The Jaco is PERFECT for BJJ and you forget it's there. Everything else digs into your sides. The shock doctor moves like a rolling stone. BADUM-TISH

6. shootermcgavin7

I am curious, did you use the Shock Doctor cup and compression shorts paired together? I've never had any problem with the cup moving around...the extra straps keep the cup in place great. At least for me. I have never tried Jaco so I cannot comment on how much better it is.

It is possible that I am naive because my past experience is limited to the short/cup systems I used playing college baseball (mizuno, reebok, etc). These would almost certainly move around a lot if I rolled with them. Compared to these, the Shock Doctor shorts are a big improvement.

7. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I used the Shock Doctor with every combo of strap, spandex, compression short, and the cup itself, and it always moved. The one move I've found to be a simple test for cups is the squat jump. Most cups I've had move on the jump.

8. tiger.shark

tiger.shark To the sharks!

I use Shock Doctor in a jock strap, and I put compression shorts over all that. It doesn't move (except once half of one of my nuts popped out and a 260 pound dude came down between my legs with his arm during grappling and crushed it... :( )

9. shootermcgavin7

Thanks for clarifying. We just must be built differently.

10. Shock Doctor Shorts with Cup got my nuts smashed by a 250lb guy passing Guard (Cup turned sideways!!!!!)

I use Shock Doctor with Jock and then Compression shorts on top.
    No problems as long as I wear the Cup Low.
    I think some people are trying to wear their Cups too high out in front.

11. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Good recommendations, besides the already mentioned missing cup (which I recommend Jaco as well. Best cup I ever owned). But I don't understand when you are recommending gear for Muay Thai and recommend MMA shorts for nogi. What gi?

12. tiger.shark

Yeah, the cup is supposed to cover in the taint region-ish too... yeah...

13. tiger.shark

The OP asked about Muay Thai (striking) and no-gi jiu-jitsu (grappling), hence the different short recommendations.

14. ftrnotlvr

ftrnotlvr White Belt

I am leary of the JACO Guardian system because it is still a compression short system, and it is one hell of a lot of money. The more economical Shock Doctor Basix X shorts look like the answer to every guy's prayers with it's X-fit cup retention system. They appear to address the cup "floating" problem much like the JACO system. I have witnessed instances where the Basix fell painfully short of their promise. I will stick with the Jock Strap cup holder as endosrsed by other posters in the thread. Of course I don't know if there is anything that will guarantee no pain if you are caught with your leg up in a high kick and the opponent nails the bottom of your exposed cup with an upward kick. Perhaps the Muay Thai cups with the non elastic ties?