1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Beginner Questions BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tehk1w1, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

Just started taking lessons and had some quick questions...

1.) I am in dreadful shape. What are some exercises I can do outside of lessons that will help prepare me for some of the drills? My cardio is by far my biggest weakness, but I also feel like I don't have the muscle to be effective either. Should I just run and start lifting weights?

2.) Might sound like a silly question, but I feel super awkward wearing boxers while rolling, especially since I don't have a Gi yet and practice wearing shorts. What kind of underwear is recommended for optimal comfort? Or should I just wear biker shorts or something underneath?

3.) What are some good ways to practice drills outside of lessons if you don't have someone who's willing to be be your dummy?

Thanks!

2. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

Bike, run, swim for your cardio at least 3 days a week. Until you get your cardio up I would focus on bodyweight exercises for your strength training (pushups, pullups, chinups, air squats, situps, etc...). Good luck glad you're training.

3. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

1. the best way for you to lose weight at this point is going to be to 1. watch your diet and 2. get a kimono and train as much as you can.

2. Get some Boxer briefs until you get your kimono to save yourself the shame of having your balls roll out the end of your boxers.

3.It can be kind of tough to drill on your own. You can practice a lot of the positional drills on a heavy bag if you lay it on the ground. Other than that you can practice your shrimping drills, bridging, sit throughs and a few other things on your own without a partner. Seeing that you are still new those things should be what you focus on anyway :D

Glad you made it into training, just keep going back!

4. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

How long should I be running, how many push ups, pull ups, etc. so I can make sure I'm increasing my cardio and strength without over exerting myself?

My biggest problem is I'll only work out until I feel uncomfortable then I'll stop. I need to force myself past my comfort zone, and the best way is probably with goals. What should an average male be able to do?

Thanks!

5. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

1. I would highly recommend doing NOTHING outside BJJ at first. BJJ will get you into shape. If you do other crosstraining, you will be sore during BJJ if you aren't in very good shape, and you could find reasons not to show up to class. Those who stay will be champions.

2. I wear boxers during normal life, but wear regular old briefs during training. A compression short and/or cup is a personal preference, but I would recommend it, especially at first.

3. You can do shrimp drills, wall drills, and several other drills at home. I honestly though wouldn't worry so much about it at first. Just make sure you go to class consistently.

6. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

i run a little after practice. sounds crazy but it works. my cardio is through the roof and after 9 months of consistent training / running i've lost 40 lbs, and am able to handle five two hour classes a week and get in a two and half mile run every mon, wed, fri.... it's nice and creepy when someone you train with tells you that you've lost a lot of weight and or your looking better in your kimono..

just depends how bad you want it.

boxer briefs are win for me..

and yeah it's hard to drill outside of class. some people use grappling dummies but they are expensive.... search for it and you can find a pretty cool thread on how to make your own on here somewhere.

7. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

1.) If you lift weights do plyometric workouts. Your best bet is to run sprints. Beyond that...everyone's cardio is dreadful when they first join -- just keep going to class.

2.) Boxer briefs.

3.) Just keep showing up to class. It's the best way to drill. I mostly do excercises when not in class. This week I'm concentrating on learning how to do the alligator walk -- try it, it's harder than it looks.

8. Senshi

Senshi Brown Belt

alright man like others said you gotta start with bodyweight exercises. especially if you're really out of shape that extra weight will help you sit ups, burpees, pushups if you can pullups/chinups. honestly just try doing a little each day and adding on to it. for example 10 pushups 10 situps 10 burpees on monday and continue through thursday and maybe on friday add 5 to all so 10 pushups, 10 situps etc...

you should really try to eat better too if you're not already. not saying you ahve to hire a nutritionist but eat a good hearty/healthy breakfast. lunch should be good too! and dinner should be healthy but not too much.

other exercises that are good are sit outs
    YouTube - Sit Outs.wmv

shrimping

YouTube - [Drill] Backwards Shrimping Drill by Stephan Kesting

burpees
    YouTube - Beginner Fat Burning Exercise: The Burpee

and if you can't run for long distances, try doing some hill sprints or working in ration HIIT exercises

this is a good thread for tabata exercises
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/solo-wrestling-tabata-drills-904924/

good luck man and you're only gonna get as good as you want to!

9. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

i wear pants (briefs) and compression shorts over the top of them.

10. stayghost

stayghost White Belt

1.) If your gym has muay thai or boxing classes I would say jump in and take a class 1 or 2x per week. You will find they are very taxing cardio wise and will get your lungs in good shape.

2.) I would highly recommend compression shorts and a cup. If you go to a sports store near you they probably have a "Shock Doctor" package that comes with both. I use boxer briefs in a pinch but prefer the compression shorts so things don't move around down there.

3.) At home you can work on switching your hips and go through the motions of getting subs; but really one of the best ways is asking some one during open mat if they would work with you to just review stuff.

11. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

Boxer briefs are where it's at dude.

12. crochuck

crochuck Banned Banned

I would say don't even bother doing any cardio before you show up you will get a good enough workout just by going and will get in shape. If you really want to get in shape beforehand I would say you should get on a rowing machine or swim laps. Running and biking and that shit is a totally different type of cardio rowing and swimming are probably the best because they involve your entire body. '

Get compression shorts they are the best.

A good thing to do is to get one of those large rubber balls and practice your weigh distribution on it while switching your base. It really helps with your top game and keeping you heavy on your opponent. I'll see if I can find a video of what im talking about.

EDIT: I found one YouTube - Body Surf Drill
    sorry I don't know how to embed.

13. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

1) Running is great for overall cardio. It won't condition your muscles, but it's great for your lungs. Try to do 2.5 miles 2-3 days a week and just try to reduce your time as much as possible each time you do it. The best thing for conditioning your muscles to manage the oxygen your lungs bring in from your running training is BJJ. Just keep going to class and rolling and your muscles will catch up to your lungs eventually.

2)Under armour boxer briefs are great, they're basically compression shorts.

3)Practicing drills are really hard to do yourself, just keep going to class.

14. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

Cool, thanks guys!

15. ZenMojo

ZenMojo White Belt

How much "extra" conditioning you should do depends on how hard your conditioning in class is and how many days a week you are in class. Shoot for 3 days of conditioning minimum a week.

If you have been relatively sedentary, then I would just stick to some basic bodyweight drills/exercises for the first 6 weeks and ramp up from there. The single best bang-for-your-buck exercise for BJJ has got to be burpees. Doing 3-5 rounds of burpees/air-squats/pullups is a great start.

How many per set depends on your general fitness. Try 15 burpees/ 20 air-squats/ 5 pullups and do as many rounds as you can for 10 minutes. Each session try and complete more rounds in 10 minutes. You want to push hard enough that you seriously just want to fall on the floor when you are through, but just short of throwing up.

For a little variety throw in some of these exercises:
    YouTube - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - The Animals Drill

Starting out, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be or feel like you need any sort of special equipment. I just posted my last strength and conditioning session on my blog (if you'd care to look - link is in the sig) and it is more "complex", but I could very easily make myself puke on the suggestion I gave you above. Basic is not necessarily bad when it comes to strength and conditioning (or a lot of other things in life).

Good luck and keep training (the strength and cardio will come as long as you keep hitting the mat).

Peace,
    Zen Mojo
    zenmojobjj.blogspot.com/

____
    Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

16. AKfan

AKfan White Belt

Thanks tehk1w1, for asking the question. I'm in almost the exact same situation as you.

17. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

You have to learn to push yourself past your "comfort zone" if you want to get in good shape. I'm not saying hurt yourself, but you have to work hard. Not trying to be an ass, I'm just being honest. No one can teach you how to "embrace the suck" but you(not a homosexual metaphor, I promise). I'm glad you're asking these questions, that means you want to get better. I would also ask your coaches, professors, and the senior belts at your school for advice. If you go to a good school, and I assume that you do, they will be more than willing to give you help and advice. Good luck with your training.

18. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

In the beginning, eat well and go to BJJ. Nothing else... You'll lose weight and get stronger just by rolling..

19. Ragno

Ragno Orange Belt

1) Do BJJ to get into shape!!

2) compression shorts and a cup is my personal preference. you could also rock boxer briefs or briefs.

3) just find little ways to implement what you learned. For example any time I stand up from sitting on the floor I will stand in base

20. PortoFly94

PortoFly94 White Belt

i recently started bjj along with muay thai. i have been trying to watch my diet and stay hydrated. i take a run every once in a while after training when its nice out. ive been getting in shape really quickly and am feeling great.

i would definately reccomend getting yourself a few pairs of compression shorts. but if you can handle your junk moving around a bit then im sure boxer briefs would be fine. there are a few places you can get yourself a cheap functional gi. Pro Force usually has Gis for around 65 bucks.