Beginner or Intermediate?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KnightTemplar, Aug 14, 2010.

1. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Before anybody posts the pic of Samuel L. Jackson shouting, "The FAQ, motherfucker! Can you read it?", yes I can. And did.

But...

The FAQ states that if you can't Squat your own bodyweight, you're a Beginner. Well, I weigh 100k and can Squat that comfortably for 1 Rep. However, the rest of my 1RM's are frankly embarrassing: 90k on the Bench and 110k on the Deadlift.:redface:

So my question is: should I do the basic SS/Practical Programming or try the Intermediate SS Program?

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Whether you follow a beginner or intermediate routine is dictated by what kind of program you make the best progress on. So if you can add weight each workout, with only occasional deloads, SS is the way to go. If you make better progress with an intermediate program, than that's the way to go. Don't get wrapped up in what lifts are beginner, or intermediate.

3. KnightTemplar

I thought there was an intermediate version of SS?

4. spinach

spinach White Belt

Don't be too concerned about what stage you're at. Beginners and intermediates and advanced all need to do their squats.

But to answer your question, yes, you are a beginner. Get yourself a simple linear training program (the FAQ will help you there) and start correcting this right away. And don't forget to eat.

Best of luck!

5. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

I think that the the terms "beginner" and "intermediate" just refer to how long you have been lifting (consistently). So if you have only been squatting and DLing for a couple months, you are a beginner. It doesn't really matter what your lifts are.

6. KnightTemplar

I've been training on and off for years. But a lot of that time was wasted doing BB-style bodypart splits(Hey, Arnold was a big star back then instead of a fat politician and I was too young, dumb and full of cum to know any better:redface:).

7. KnightTemplar

Fair enough, SS it is. One more question, though: with these 1RMs, what should be my starting weights on Bench, Squat etc? I don't want to start too heavy(by my standards)and burn out.

8. Champion#1

Champion#1 Yellow Belt

would say start it a weigh that you could easily do 10 reps with and work from there.

9. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

If you google 1 RM calculators, you'll get some tables where you'd be able to look up your 1 RM and figure out what your 5 RM is. I'd start a bit below your 5 RM, as you'll be adding weight every workout.

10. toonie

toonie Tuesday

I'm pretty sure its mentioned on the SS wiki how to determine your starting weight.

What I did was start with an empty bar, and add weight to the bar and do 5 reps. And then add more weight and more until the speed of the bar dropped. Once this happened, I did this weight 2 more times, and this was my starting weight.

i.e
    Squat
    45x5 - easy
    75x5 - easy
    105x5 - easy
    135x5 - easy
    155x5 -bar speed slowing. Starting weight. Two more sets.

Obviously with the deadlift, after you come to a set of 5 and bar speed slows, thats the only work-set you have to do.

Also, the weight is going to seem really low compared to what you're probably doing now. Leave the ego at the door. Adding 15-20lb per deadlift session, 5-10lb per squat session is going to add up quickly.

Start lower then you think and you'll do fine.

Feel free to check out my log, as I am currently following SS and started it nearly two months ago.

11. CoreCanyon

CoreCanyon Geez, lots of new people.

I was re-reading Practical Programming yesterday on the bus ride to our football scrimmage. The first two chapters talk about periodization and lifting levels in relation to ability, not so much time. He did say, however, that the beginner stage will end for most everyone after upwards of 9 months of lifting. He bases this on when you go from adaptive levels of 3 days maximum to needing a week. Basically, as a beginner your battery will recharge w/in 3 days, where an intermediate lifter needs a week to adapt to the new stress created by a workout.

He also went on to say that most people will not get out of the intermediate state of lifting in their lifetime. The advanced guys have really unlocked their potential (genetically), and are doing ridiculous shit and getting paid for it (pro athletes). The elite are the lifters we see on TV lifting.

Its interesting, I wanted to start a thread about this today, and there just happened to be one when I logged on this morning.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. speedtech

speedtech White Belt

I like Madcow's definition of differentiating between beginner and intermediate lifters. If you are able to keep putting weight on the bar for that lift from session to session consistently then you're still a beginner in that particular lift. If you keep stalling on that lift despite multiple deloads while ensuring your technique and recovery is sufficient; then you're intermediate in that particular lift and need to look at weekly progression. One bad day and a missed lift or two does not mean jack - it will likely keep happening more and more as you progress - it's usually telling you to de-load that lift or that you aren't recovering enough.

13. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

If you have excel, use this.

14. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

If in doubt, you're a beginner.

15. KnightTemplar

Thanks, Ronin!

16. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Interesting. I was wondering about this myself. But I think speedtech and Tosa gave good explanations for it. I would just try SS and see how my lifts did over the course of a few months. If they went up marginally then intermediate routines might be better even if you're not moving that much weight. This assumes you're getting plenty of rest and food though. And probably GOMAD but not necessarily.

17. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

I really need to buy PPST.

18. KnightTemplar

Frankly, I'd be happy to get to the stage where I am considered Intermediate. Especially since strength training is not my only interest. I also practice the martial arts and have to fit in cardio training as well. I'm never going to be an elite lifter and I'm OK with that.

19. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Translation: I'll be happy when it's harder to get stronger?

20. KnightTemplar

Babel Fish: I'll be happy when I no longer lift like a girly-man.:redface: