Beginner/Intermediate Program Advice

Poseylifts

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post but I've been a lurker for a little bit trying to learn more about getting strong.

Weight: ~220
Height: 6'

Background: I've been training for about 6 months. I've been doing the Nebraska Workout with a couple friends from work and I've seen some good gains on it but I'd like to switch to a different routine that's focused more on strength gain/building muscle. The current workout has a lot of stuff that seems kind of useless (Like two supersets for biceps/triceps per upper body workout which we've cut out and just do 3 sets of pullups/dips now instead).

Current Lifts:

Squat: 300 x 6
Bench Press: 220 x 2 (I suck)
Deadlift: 405 x 1
Front Squat: 240 x 3

A little note about the deadlift; I actually have only done this once. After our last lower body day (I had done the 240 x 3 front squats and did 280 x 5 on Back Squat) we decided to try deadlifts for fun and worked up to 405 as a max single so I feel I have some room to grow there especially.

I would like to get some videos up of my form as well to make sure I don't have any huge issues. I'm on leave right now but I'll probably get some up next week when I head back.

I have read the FAQs and the two routines that I've been considering are either the 3 day pull/push/squat routine or texas method. I've been stuck without making progress on a projected 1RM of 245 on bench press for about 3 training weeks, while my squat has slowly creeped up 5 pounds a week and I've already explained the deadlift situation. I think that puts me right in between beginner and intermediate. I'd like to try and squeeze some gains out of a beginner routine if I can.

I'd appreciate any advice/comments on how to go about training from here. I'm going to be working out solo for the next few months because I'm switching duty stations (Navy) but usually I work out either at a commercial gym or base gym so I should still be able to find spotters.

As I said earlier overall goal is strength with added muscle as more of a side benefit. I try to eat a ton (I need to work on getting in more fruits/vegetables) and drink lots of milk, and I try to get as much sleep as I can. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those routines that you mentioned. There's a number of people here doing the Texas Method (myself included, I just started).

Thanks for the replies. I kind of want to try the program from the FAQs. Here's what I was thinking, any advice? As far as I know all exercises would be sets across.

Day one: Deadlifts
Deadlifts 5X5
Good Mornings 3x8-10 (Main assist)
Shrugs 3x8-10 (Lockout assist)
BORs 5x5

Day Two: Bench
Bench Press 5X5
DB Incline press 3x6-8
Dips 3x12-15 (Switch to weighted dips once I can get 3x15. Currently my best was 12, 12, 10)
Chinups 3xFailure (Added these in because I suck at chinups and want to get better)

Day Three: Squats
Squats 5X5
Front Squats 3-4X6
DB Lunges 3x6-8
Back Hyperextensions 3x12-15

I used the powerlifting 3 assistance link in deciding the assistance lifts. I wasn't completely sure on the sets/reps so advice on that would be appreciated. I would assume that once I can hit the high end of the rep band fairly easily then I can move the weight up on the assistance, while if I get all 5 reps on the 5x5 I move up the weight 5 pounds for the next week.

One thing I noticed is there's no overhead work. Would adding in push presses, maybe 3x3 or 5x3, on Friday be a bad idea? I figure it would be a long time (Friday to Wednesday) before I bench again so it shouldn't affect that much.

Thanks for any advice/comments.

5x5 deadlift is brutal, but since you've only done it once you can probably handle it. Just start light and work on your form.

Adding press on friday is a good idea. Good luck with your training.

I wasn't completely sure on the sets/reps so advice on that would be appreciated. I would assume that once I can hit the high end of the rep band fairly easily then I can move the weight up on the assistance, while if I get all 5 reps on the 5x5 I move up the weight 5 pounds for the next week.

That sounds good.

Ok so I think I'll add push presses in on Friday after the front squats. I think I'll do 5x3, I seem to do better with lower reps, higher weight on push press.

I get back from leave on Sunday so I'll start this workout on Monday and see how it goes from there. I'm thinking of keeping a log on here too. I'll tape my Monday workout so I can get advice on form especially deadlifts.

I'd say forget about the program from the FAQ and squat 3x a week.

Hmmmm looks like I need to do some reading up on Texas Method then. I'm looking at the templates in the FAQs link. I seem to remember one flavor of TM where you would squat 5x5 sets across and work up to a top 1x5 bench on Monday, and then bench 5x5 sets across and work up to a top 1x5 squat on Friday. Anyone have any comments on that?

Hmmmm looks like I need to do some reading up on Texas Method then. I'm looking at the templates in the FAQs link. I seem to remember one flavor of TM where you would squat 5x5 sets across and work up to a top 1x5 bench on Monday, and then bench 5x5 sets across and work up to a top 1x5 squat on Friday. Anyone have any comments on that?

For starters, you can read this.
The Texas Method: Strength Training for Intermediate Lifters | StrongLifts.com

I am loosely following this spreadsheet; http://stronglifts.com/files/texas.method.xls

The template I am following for the Texas Method;
Volume Day
5x5 Squat
5x5 Press/Bench (alternate each week)
5x5 Rows
5x5 Weighted Chins/Dips (alternate each week)

Recovery Day
3x3 Front Squat
3x3 Bench/Press (alternate each week)
5x3 Cleans
3x3 Weighted Dips/Chins (alternate each week)

Intensity Day
1RM/2RM/3RM in Squat, Press/Bench, Deadlift

I try to increase by 5lb each week for each exercises on its specific day. This isn't the only way to do it, just the way I chose to do it.

Ok so I did some reading on Texas Method, and also looked through some of the logs here of people doing it. It looks good to me, and I've been going back and forth on how I want to do it looking at your setup, DrBdan, and some of the templates as well as the Stronglifts spreadsheet. Here's what I got, what do you think?

Monday - High Volume
Squat 5x5
Bench Press/Press 5x5 (Alternate each week)
BORs 5x5
Dips 3xF (Weighted once I can get 3x12-15)

Wednesday - Recovery
Front Squat 3x3
Press/Bench Press 3x3 (Alternate each week)
Power Clean 5x3
Chinups 3xF (Weighted once I can get 3x8-10)

Friday - High Intensity
Squat 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 (Going for maxes each time. Might start a little less than 1RM first week since it'll be my first week back)
Bench Press/Press (Same, alternate each week)
Deadlift (Same)
Back Extensions 2x12-15 (For a little extra lower back work)

I'd up the volume sets by 5 pounds a week. Wednesdays 3x3 would be the same weight used for 5x5 the previous week for Bench Press/Press.

I'm really excited to start this. How's my setup look? Comments appreciated again, thanks for the advice.

Back