Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. What level are you?

TJS said:
Batman- think of it this way... if you were a real beginner entering your first tournament, would you feel its fair to compete against someone who has already won 3 tournaments going on 4?

that's what the novice division is for, the first timers, hence the term novice. we are on the same page that there is a division before beginner out there? as far as me, my first time out with no gi was after 7 months training, and i did the beginner division. just because i won three, doesn't mean they haven't been super competetive for me, just that i prevailed in the end.

Some tournaments have

Beginner
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert.

Which is sorta the equivalent for

white
blue
purple
brown
black

Novice division is usually after beginner. Batman, if you are doing what you say you are doing, you are breaking the curve. I think blue belt divisions are a lot easier because the talent pool is so much thinner than the white belt division.

Calibur said:
Some tournaments have

Beginner
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert.

Which is sorta the equivalent for

white
blue
purple
brown
black

Novice division is usually after beginner. Batman, if you are doing what you say you are doing, you are breaking the curve. I think blue belt divisions are a lot easier because the talent pool is so much thinner than the white belt division.

the way the tournaments i have done have gone is like this:
novice less than 9 months
beginner 9-18 months
intermediate 18 months -3 years
advanced 3 years plus

this includes the both the pan am submission grappling and the western reginal deal. before anyone says i am full of shit about the above numbers. i took them directly from a registration form at this site www.grapplingtournaments.com.

batman69 said:
the way the tournaments i have done have gone is like this:
novice less than 9 months
beginner 9-18 months
intermediate 18 months -3 years
advanced 3 years plus

this includes the both the pan am submission grappling and the western reginal deal. before anyone says i am full of shit about the above numbers. i took them directly from a registration form at this site www.grapplingtournaments.com.

Come to think of it, that might be right.

Calibur said:
Come to think of it, that might be right.
He is right, novice is usually under 9 months while beginner is up to 2 years.

I'm a novice as I've been training for 7 months.

Geez, it's so much easier in Judo. As far as tournaments are concerned you are either ADVANCED (can hang with the Brown and Black Belts) or NOVICE (can't hang with the Brown and Black Belts). That simple.

I haven't entered a tournament yet, but I would enter Beginner (I've done about 6 months or so of BJJ)

Back