Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. What level are you?

Beginner - Teen - Newb whitebelt

Intermediate.

If I were skiing I'd be just starting to move off the blue square slopes to try the black diamond runs.

After flirting with the girls in the lodge that is...

I'm going in my first no-gi submission tournament on Nov 13. I'm going to give intermediate a try, even though I've only been doing BJJ for about 6 months. I've been wrestling for about 10 years, and I've been a national champ for Greco.

rory_44 said:
I'm going in my first no-gi submission tournament on Nov 13. I'm going to give intermediate a try, even though I've only been doing BJJ for about 6 months. I've been wrestling for about 10 years, and I've been a national champ for Greco.

You entering Joslin's tournament in Hamilton, Ontario?

I entered Intermediate my first tournament, and Advanced my second. I think I will enter Advanced from now on.

I am 0-3 in sub grappling, but I still like fighting in the highest division. I don't feel like I am outclassed. I learn more from fighting the best opponents. I can beat up on beginners any day I feel like it. Truly skilled opponents are much harder to find.

Bmonk said:
I've been to a couple of tournaments recently, and a lot of people who should be in Intermediate tend to enter Beginner (sandbaggers).

I want to see what level most people on this forum consider themselves, and which division they enter at tournaments.

I think sandbagging is such crap. This isn't life or death. Why people won't challenge themselves is beyond me ...

I've been training since mid-August (gi BJJ). I entered a local tournament sponsored by our academy after about three weeks of training. Sure, I got armlocked in about a minute and half in my first (and only) fight, but it was a great experience--I've been more focused and hard-working in class ever since.

I'm also at the light end of my weight class. I started out thinking that I should cut down and fight smaller, lighter guys. But then I figured, what the hell, it's not life or death, being the lightest guy in my weight class just means that I'll have to be that much better technically.

You've got to test your skills. You've got to if you really want to get better.

Intermediate. I've trained 3.25 years at Rickson's school in west LA.

TJS said:
Intermediate. Tournamants here generally consider over one year intermediate.

batman69-If you have already won 3 and want to go over the set time limit to win another beginners then you are definetly sandbagging. Not really the point or spirit of bjj.

ok i guess i didn't make myself clear. at the moment i am just short of my 18 months in training. as in when the gq is in vegas i'll be a couple of weeks shy of that. when i brought up moving to intermediate my coach suggested waiting till next year. that would leave one tournament that is at the end of this year that i would feel not so good about doing as a beginner. at this point i don't plan on doing that one as a beginnner, but at gq i would not be sandbagging if i stayed at beginner. i have done well so far and will hopefully move into intemediate and do well also. i am sure you all will still think of me as not an honerable man, and well i will have to live with that. not really wanting to rush into intermediate and get my ass handed to me, so i'll wait till next year before i step up to that one.

batman, youre sand bagging... Time doesnt mean everything.

I've been training 6 days a week seriously for the last 8 months and have won beginner at two gq's and at another tourny in toronto. in the gi, I'm still a whitebelt (won 2 gq's), but am moving up to blue belt this weekend just because I want a challenge.

Winning at beginner means nothing, and if youre satisfied with it youl never go anywhere.

intermediate

beginner - white belt
intermediate - blue belt purple belt
advanced - brown and black

but I think most tournaments are like this:

beginner - white b
intermediate - blue
advanced - purple

rory_44 said:
yup I'm going to give it a try, 85kgs

I will also be there entering both the gi and no gi divisions at 71 Kgs.

I want that Championship Belt they give out.

Been training off and on for about a year. Still consider myself a beginner due to the inconsistancy of my training.

Batman- think of it this way... if you were a real beginner entering your first tournament, would you feel its fair to compete against someone who has already won 3 tournaments going on 4?

flyingknee16 said:
2 years of grappling experience, I would probably enter a beginner division tournament since I have never entered a tournament before and I don't truly know where I lie in skill until I do so. But as far as how I do against people I normally randori with, I do pretty well.
You should do Beginner and intermediate.....I have this guy at my school, given his purple after 6 years of training and he never entered a competition. He went straight to advanced level and won his division. Don't sandbag....sandbagging is for romos

Back