• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. What level are you?

B

Bmonk**

I've been to a couple of tournaments recently, and a lot of people who should be in Intermediate tend to enter Beginner (sandbaggers).

I want to see what level most people on this forum consider themselves, and which division they enter at tournaments.

i could still compete in the beginner division because ive been training under 18 months, but i was planning to enter gq as an intermediate (not competing anymore since today is my 21st bday and ill be drunk til sunday) since im a blue belt and already competed in beginner and did really well.

Intermediate..blue belt for the past 1.5 years..haha

Beginner... still a white belt.

Wolverine
///

As white as white belts get. Might never compete, but will stick with classes 3x a week until I can handle 4-5.
White belt for life!

I've been studying for 9 years and I still consider myself a beginner, or lower intermediate. But then, when compared to the experience of the people who train me, I will probably never reach advanced.

hmm, haven't tried a tournament, 2 years of steady training.
I am definitely still a beginner.

i'm going on training for 18 months and am just about to leave the ranks of the beginner for the intermediate level. i have only done 3 no gi tournaments, but i won all three. with this last one i won in my weight class and one weight class up. my coach thinks i should wait till i am done competing this year to move up, which will be at or close to 19 months. not sure if that barely a month over the limit is sandbagging or not. i'm sure there will be plenty of opinion on what an asshole i am for even asking that but yeah that's where i am at.

I think its better to shoot for the tougher competition and do your best. Winning medals is cool, but if you've been cleaning up its time to challenge yourself and step it up, even if you lose.

batman69 said:
i'm going on training for 18 months and am just about to leave the ranks of the beginner for the intermediate level. i have only done 3 no gi tournaments, but i won all three. with this last one i won in my weight class and one weight class up. my coach thinks i should wait till i am done competing this year to move up, which will be at or close to 19 months. not sure if that barely a month over the limit is sandbagging or not. i'm sure there will be plenty of opinion on what an asshole i am for even asking that but yeah that's where i am at.

3 no gi tounament wins? yep, time to move up id say.

If you win your division you generally should have fought in the next one up.

2 years of grappling experience, I would probably enter a beginner division tournament since I have never entered a tournament before and I don't truly know where I lie in skill until I do so. But as far as how I do against people I normally randori with, I do pretty well.

inexpierienced advanced.

I have more than 4 years in BJJ, most of it with Gi. I just rather have a feel for top level guys and what I have to learn than entering a lower level competition.

Intermediate. Tournamants here generally consider over one year intermediate.

batman69-If you have already won 3 and want to go over the set time limit to win another beginners then you are definetly sandbagging. Not really the point or spirit of bjj.

Back