Beginner BJJ

ChairmanJo

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so I just started training in BJJ and feel out of place and lost --

I recently moved to the West Coast and am training at a decent gym with lots of great guys who are patient and understanding

Any advice for a newbie who feels lost and confused?

I really really want to learn this art.................

Dont get stressed about the technique,BJJ teaches your body how to move in a what you would call a wierd way. Just drill,and show up.

Okay, so I just started training in BJJ and feel out of place and lost --

I recently moved to the West Coast and am training at a decent gym with lots of great guys who are patient and understanding

Any advice for a newbie who feels lost and confused?

I really really want to learn this art.................

One day at a time, dude. It's like a jig-saw puzzle, you can't just expect it to go together in a minute. One piece at a time, and it'll start to make sense!

I know - it's just that I get more frustrated when I see my rolling partners get frustrated -

They'll roll with me then they get fed up - go get some water and totally avoid me

I know - it's just that I get more frustrated when I see my rolling partners get frustrated -

They'll roll with me then they get fed up - go get some water and totally avoid me

Just ask them what's wrong.

Should I take their fundamentals BJJ class and then in maybe a few more months show up for the normal BJJ classes?

Or just keep showing up for the regular sessions?

Some of the more nicer Blue and Brown belts told me to just show up for the normal classes......but I'm not sure

I totally understand why BJJ has a high drop-out rate now -- very high learning curve :icon_conf

Do the fundamentals. They are the most important part of the game. Do a little of both. I'm pretty sure you pay for both in the same price tag so why not go to a few fundamental classes? You'll get better faster and actually learn some basics that most people learn the hard way (getting them used on them). BJJ is about persistance. There will come a time where you will want to go back everyday (1-2 month mark).

Look at it in the long run and that every day is another grinding step forward. It won't come easy, but as long as you don't give up you improve!

that's strange that your training partners are reacting that way, you're probably being a spazz douche or something

Thank you guys! For all the support and kind encouragement!

I'm going to take it one step at a time! :D

Keep training. It will be a long time before anything starts to make sense or before techniques start to work. Meaning several months. Keep at it.

Should I take their fundamentals BJJ class and then in maybe a few more months show up for the normal BJJ classes?

Or just keep showing up for the regular sessions?

Some of the more nicer Blue and Brown belts told me to just show up for the normal classes......but I'm not sure

I totally understand why BJJ has a high drop-out rate now -- very high learning curve :icon_conf

If you could learn it in a week, then it's probably not worth learning.

Hard to say which classes you should attend. Every academy is different, so when you say "fundamentals class" we don't know what that includes. Is it a general beginners class, or does it focus exclusively on explaining the basic concepts like positions and strategy?

My advice would be to find another beginner with a little more experience then you and try to become buddy buddy. I've always trained with a friend, so it's been easier for me. Other than that, don't worry about it and keep training.

Time to smell yourself.

well first of all you need to just keep training. go as often as your body and lifestyle allows and eventually you'll start to "get it".

i got my best friend to sign up at my bjj school over a year ago. he came in knowing NOTHING at all about bjj. it's a year (maybe even a year and half even) later and he's just starting to spar on a regular basis and understand some of the fundamentals...

For the love of God, dont' spaz during the rolling sessions.

Stay calm, use technique and apply what you've learned that day.
Don't go super HULK on your partner.
It's fucking annoying and you'll gas in 2 minutes.

/sorry
I rolled with a spaz last week and it irritated the hell out of me.
His body was literally shaking with him trying to sweep me.

Ask lots of questions even when rolling. Every time I get tapped out I ask them what happened and how. They should be more than happy to help you.

Back