Beginner BJJ in Manhattan... Need some advice

All the general options have been listed, it's good to stop by the places and check them out. I would suggest not focusing on no gi, especially at this level. Some places won't even offer no gi classes for white belts.

Regarding safety, the places mentioned are mostly in midtown and chelsea, and most of manhattan is pretty much okay. You'll be fine walking around at night.

Also, how careful should one be coming out of these places at 10pm and walking back? I live in VA and in the safe suburbs but my parents make it sound like Ive got a 70% chance of being robbed if I walk around past sunset alone.

LOL! i love when people think that stuff. This isn't the 80s man, we got cops on the streets now. Based on the area u mentioned, you'll be fine walking around there by yourself. Definitly higher end around there than other parts of the city. Mind your business and exude confidence and you'll be fine. Bet you'll even start to love it after a while. But anything can happen anywhere

70% chance of being robbed! 7 out of 10 people on the streets are getting robbed, LOL....by the other 3 people

you are learning jiujitsu... you cant possibly be scared to walk the streets :)

manyou have been watching too many 70's movies like Taxi Driver or the French Connection.
The worse thing that can happen to you in Midtown, especially Chelsea, is that a Gay guy might try to pick you up.":icon_chee

manyou have been watching too many 70's movies like Taxi Driver or the French Connection.
The worse thing that can happen to you in Midtown, especially Chelsea, is that a Gay guy might try to pick you up.":icon_chee

I hate having to tie my shoes in the meat packing district. Marcelinho would always tell me to "not get raped" on my way home.

But for the matters at hand. Please do a lesson at as many schools as possible before making your choice. Every school has a very different atmosphere, you need to find the one you like best. Also, train with the best possible, regardless of gi or no-gi. Would you rather have world class gi instruction or mediocre no-gi instruction? This is an important question because most no-gi only schools are mediocre.

Regarding safety, the places mentioned are mostly in midtown and chelsea, and most of manhattan is pretty much okay. You'll be fine walking around at night.

Plus...if you were looking to make some quick cash by robbing people...where would "catching people leaving martial arts classes" rank on your list of targets? They're probably not going to be wearing rings, watches, or chains, and are unlikely to be carrying a lot of cash. Unless you are really looking to score some sweaty rash guards and cups...

:icon_chee

I wouldnt go there.

Manhattan is very safe at night. We are talking about midtown to downtown which is very very commerical. You'll only really see problems up in the 100's. Even there, there is a lot of gentrification going on.

What do you have against Blitz? I have my own opinion but would like to hear what you have to say.

What do you have against Blitz? I have my own opinion but would like to hear what you have to say.

Not really looking to air out any dirty laundry.

If you check out a class and know jiujitsu, I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

If you check out a class and know jiujitsu, I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

I have never attended a class there but have trained with Marcos Santos and had no problems with him. My school has affiliation with him and Rigan Machado and the couple of times I've met him and trained under him he seemed fine to me. Never personally rolled with him but everyone I know that has was very impressed.
I trained primarily no-gi and wrestling and had very minor judo experience prior. I trained gi there for about a year give or take time for injuries. So I guess by definition you could say I didn't "know jiu jitsu" but do think I have some understanding of grappling.

I am recovering from acl surgery and my school has done away with the gi class from a lack of interest (only had about 8 people on the best nights), so I'm looking at going to either a Renzo affiliate or Marcello Garcia's. I'm really leaning towards Marcello's since he has moved down here and will be teaching there himself.

I was curious if it had to do with the training or some other aspect of the school.

I can understand the "dirty laundry" thing and respect it. Just curious

I'd like to know what you mean since this place is on my list...PM me if you want.

thanks

Back