Beginner BJJ in Manhattan... Need some advice

krazyj

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright, Ive been doing BJJ for about a month and half now. I absolutely love every minute of it and want to do it every day if I can. Thats only if its convenient though, meaning I dont have to walk across town and ride the subway at sketchy hours, etc. (Side Note: Is it safe to walk out of these academies and around Manhattan in general alone at night safely?)

With a month and a half under my belt, and moving to Manhattan for 3 months, where should I go? Its a summer job so Ill be outta the city in 3 months.

Im working between 8th and 9th Ave on W 15th St (Chelsea).
Im living on W 54th and 9th Ave (Clinton).
(so Im riding the blue C/E straight up and down the West side everyday)

Im eager to get a belt. I heard blue can be accomplished within a year, no?

Im hoping to focus on No-GI because I want this to be my foundation for a future MMA 'career' (whatever the hell that will mean in a year or two).

And, I dont know what the deal is at these places, but if any of them have any type of weight training area. Even a dumbbell rack and bench, that would be a HUGE plus. I have no idea how Im going to work, do BJJ, and workout everyday.

SUGGESTIONS? WHERE SHOULD I GO?

PS - The month and a half Ive done locally is by Renzo Gracie Black Belt :)

Im eager to get a belt. I heard blue can be accomplished within a year, no?

Im hoping to focus on No-GI because I want this to be my foundation for a future MMA 'career' (whatever the hell that will mean in a year or two).

first off, dont be eager about the belt, be eager about the knowledge and the journey through jiu jitsu. be eager about progressing your game and understanding it. when you focus on earning the belt, all it can lead to is disappointment when you dont get what you want.

and 2nd, this is just my opinion, but think of jiu jitsu as working towards a degree. major in gi w/ a minor in no gi. if you focus and train specifically in no gi, you could literally train for 1-2 years no gi, and then train somewhere they emphasize the gi, and you would, in a sense, be starting from day 1. if gi jiu jitsu was the father, then no gi would be its hot daughter.

Even though I just started everyone has been telling me to start with gi bjj and I am getting into MMA as well.

i was in almost ur exact situation, and i also work near Chelsea (22nd and 6th)

i've been training at Fighthouse on 27th st (off 7th ave) and it's great.

i also wanted to focus on No Gi and had a hell of a hard time finding a gym that fit my schedule.

as of now i go to class Tues and Thurs (8-10pm) which is technically an open mat, but the instructor's top student, a purple belt, comes in and teaches. there's usually only about 2-4 guys on the open mat days, so it literally becomes a private instructional. it's GREAT. he goes over a specific technique and works out all the weaknesses and flaws.

friday is the main No Gi class (7:30-9:30) and it's pretty intense. hardcore 30 minute "warm up" and plenty of live drills and sparring. usually about 10-12 people for the friday classes. i think the Saturday morning 10am class is also No Gi, but it's too early for me as I commute.

Fighthouse also has MMA, but it's taught by a guy who's yet to have his 1st pro fight. I've seen him teaching classes and they look ok, but not "elite" by any means. If you're looking for MMA, Ronin would be your best bet.

Fighthouse has great BJJ and Muay Thai. It's basically a venue so many people rent the space and there are various TMA bs classes going on at the same time, but you can ignore those.

I took trial classes at NY Sanda, Ronin, and Fighthouse. All places were great, but at Fighthouse they didn't pull any punches. They worked my ass even in the 1st class, and while I was there I thought to myself through the pain, "I'm never coming here again." But during the commute home, I realized that training at the tougher place would only make me better, so I chose Fighthouse, and I'm very happy with it.

The only downside I can think of is that I've heard our main instructor Cristiano has to return to Brazil sometime in the near future b/c his visa will expire.

Would love to write more, but gotta run, PM me if u got any more questions.

Renzo Gracie Academy is convenient. It's on your subway line.

Alliance is close to your work (straight shot on the L), but far from your home.

Fighthouse is also convenient.

In terms of location, Renzo's is probably best.

Renzo about 2 miles from where u live

Definitely but what Im wondering is, since I havent been in BJJ for too long, would I be just as well served at a less expensive academy for 3 months? Or would 3 months at Renzo's be worth the arm and 2 legs?

first off, dont be eager about the belt, be eager about the knowledge and the journey through jiu jitsu. be eager about progressing your game and understanding it. when you focus on earning the belt, all it can lead to is disappointment when you dont get what you want.

and 2nd, this is just my opinion, but think of jiu jitsu as working towards a degree. major in gi w/ a minor in no gi. if you focus and train specifically in no gi, you could literally train for 1-2 years no gi, and then train somewhere they emphasize the gi, and you would, in a sense, be starting from day 1. if gi jiu jitsu was the father, then no gi would be its hot daughter.

Good points there. The thing is, though, I have no interest in gi in the future. Im developing my experience in BJJ solely to translate it to an MMA environment once I feel comfortable with my BJJ experience.

i also wanted to focus on No Gi and had a hell of a hard time finding a gym that fit my schedule.

as of now i go to class Tues and Thurs (8-10pm) which is technically an open mat, but the instructor's top student, a purple belt, comes in and teaches. there's usually only about 2-4 guys on the open mat days, so it literally becomes a private instructional. it's GREAT. he goes over a specific technique and works out all the weaknesses and flaws.

friday is the main No Gi class (7:30-9:30) and it's pretty intense. hardcore 30 minute "warm up" and plenty of live drills and sparring. usually about 10-12 people for the friday classes. i think the Saturday morning 10am class is also No Gi, but it's too early for me as I commute.

Fighthouse also has MMA, but it's taught by a guy who's yet to have his 1st pro fight. I've seen him teaching classes and they look ok, but not "elite" by any means. If you're looking for MMA, Ronin would be your best bet.

Fighthouse has great BJJ and Muay Thai. It's basically a venue so many people rent the space and there are various TMA bs classes going on at the same time, but you can ignore those.

I took trial classes at NY Sanda, Ronin, and Fighthouse. All places were great, but at Fighthouse they didn't pull any punches. They worked my ass even in the 1st class, and while I was there I thought to myself through the pain, "I'm never coming here again." But during the commute home, I realized that training at the tougher place would only make me better, so I chose Fighthouse, and I'm very happy with it.

The only downside I can think of is that I've heard our main instructor Cristiano has to return to Brazil sometime in the near future b/c his visa will expire.

Dude, awesome post!

Although Fighthouse is physically intense, how is the instruction, though? Are they still good teachers regardless of how 'hardcore' the warmup is?

Is the Tues/Thurs open mat officially taught by the BJJ purple belt? Also, how careful should one be coming out of these places at 10pm and walking back? I live in VA and in the safe suburbs but my parents make it sound like Ive got a 70% chance of being robbed if I walk around past sunset alone.

Overall, how good is the quality of BJJ instruction at Fighthouse? And how much is it? Price price price. :icon_chee

Sounds interesting, I did not know Fighthouse had a bjj class now

Who teaches? What lineage? How are the classes? Gi, no gi? price? can people from other schools come and roll/drop in on a class?

To the OP - I wouldn't worry so much about price since you'll only be here for 3 months. Depending exactly how much you can train I would suggest you to look at the scheduling. Also unless your a blue belt + you will be stuck in the beginner classes. I have not seen these classes but logic says the competition level is very low and the classes are short.

Dude, awesome post!

Although Fighthouse is physically intense, how is the instruction, though? Are they still good teachers regardless of how 'hardcore' the warmup is?

Is the Tues/Thurs open mat officially taught by the BJJ purple belt? Also, how careful should one be coming out of these places at 10pm and walking back? I live in VA and in the safe suburbs but my parents make it sound like Ive got a 70% chance of being robbed if I walk around past sunset alone.

Overall, how good is the quality of BJJ instruction at Fighthouse? And how much is it? Price price price. :icon_chee

Instruction is top notch my friend. Very intensive. There's a bit of a language barrier between the instructor Cristiano and the rest of us, but only slightly.

All the open mats I have been to, the purple belt has been there.

Quality of instruction, at least for BJJ, is great at Fighthouse. Price, I pay like 138/month, but that's b/c i do direct deposit, which shaves off like 20 bucks i think. Although if you do direct deposit, you have to give them like 3 months notice if you plan on quitting.

In regards to safety, I guess that depends where you live. Manhattan is pretty safe at night if you stay below like the 100's streets.

Sounds interesting, I did not know Fighthouse had a bjj class now

Who teaches? What lineage? How are the classes? Gi, no gi? price? can people from other schools come and roll/drop in on a class?

The teacher is Cristiano Bertolucci, you can see more about him here Fighthouse . I don't take the Gi classes b/c I want to focus soley on No Gi, but the instruction is great. We have a very small, fairly inexperienced team, yet we had a pretty good showing at the NAGA worlds (one 1st place masters beginners, and one 2nd place Gi whitebelt). both have just received their blue belts.

The BJJ class itself doesn't charge for a trial or drop in class, but Fighthouse the venue charges a $15 daily pass fee to use the gym and you pay that to take the trial class. If you're from another school, I prob wouldn't drop in on the open mats, but one of the actual classes (Gi - Mon and Wed, No Gi - Friday and Sat).

Interesting point of view.

i dont know anything about manhattan bjj, other than renzo's school bein solid.

but.
i will echo the other guys comments. dont be belt eager. and if you focus on nogi, you wont get a belt. they are two different worlds. whomever said that nogi was gi's hot daughter is close, but not close enough. if gi was the father then nogi would be the drunk uncle that beats him up all the time. alot of guys believe that in order to be solid in nogi, you have to have a firm gi base. i know ill get flamed for it, but thats just not the case.

a nogi guy getting dressed up in a gi and rolling with gi guys will just be held onto and collarchoked to hell and back. he will have no clue about where to grab and what submissions require the gi. on the other hand, a gi guy rolling with nogi will have clues about the nogi submissions, but his entire base will be built upon being able to hold onto someone. hell, how many gi bjj black belts have had submission losses in the ufc in the last year alone? a TON!

if you're gonna stick to nogi in order to help your mma game, stick to it and be proud of it. learn everything you can and apply every thought you have during a roll to what's open. dont be one of those guys who sees an armbar and goes for it 9/10 times. be one of the guys who sees the armbar and tries for a leghook sweep to armbar or an omaplata to armbar. that's when your game gets better. dedicate yourself to something and challenge yourself at every turn.

Check out Ronin Athletics. It's convenient to your location and a great school. forget about "lineage." just go the school and see if you like the quality of the instruction and rolling.

You are also concerned about safety. You realize that most of these schools are in midtown manhattan, right? if you get out of a class at 10 PM, by manhattan standards that is still early evening. the streets will still be busy with pedestrians, car traffic, cabs, dinner and theatre crowds. 10PM in midown manhattan is not a dangerous place to be.

Manhattan is pretty safe

search around the internet for the school's sites, talk to the instructor(s), ask for prices, ask for a free class, pick a school or crosstrain if you'd like

check out
nycstudiox.com

They have gi and no gi classes and a gym with a kettle bell set and a bunch of free weights and a rowing machine. It is right beside the fashion school F.I.T. and along the west side where you will be staying.,

Renzo's is the place if you have the money, BUT you will only be in town 3 months and renzo has a 1 year contract if I'm not mistaken. NYC is safe late at night in most areas you should have no problems. I live train and work in Manhattan so hit me up for any info you need.

Oh yeah NYC Blitz center is also along the west side 2 blocks from herald sq
They are the Machado affiliated school in nyc

Oh yeah NYC Blitz center is also along the west side 2 blocks from herald sq
They are the Machado affiliated school in nyc

I wouldnt go there.

Manhattan is very safe at night. We are talking about midtown to downtown which is very very commerical. You'll only really see problems up in the 100's. Even there, there is a lot of gentrification going on.

Great advice here, thanks to all.

Ill definitely start taking a closer look into specifics in the next week or so before I go up.

Thanks for the tips about the safety on the streets, too. ;) I think overprotective mom has been telling me white lies to keep me in at night like a good little boy. ;) Ill be well far away from the 100s. 55s max. So good to hear. :)

Thanks!!

Im not all about getting belts (maybe bc I have a black belt in another art already) but I dont think its a bad thing to want a belt! If you are hungry for that belt you will do what is necessary to acheive it. You'll learn the techniques, put in the mat time and most importantly ACT like a blue belt; helping others, being respectful, bowing on and off the mat, sitting up straight while being taught etc
Do all the things that higher belts do to show your teacher that you want to be at that level (he will also most likely give you more attention if you show you want to learn)

If your focus is nogi, try going to nysanda(nysanda.com). The BJJ instructor, Carmine Zochi primarily teaches nogi BJJ. He's known throughout the city and local MMA circuit and teaches also at the IFL center in Queens.

Back