Beginner bag work

Jrohm24

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score

just a short vid, didnt plan on having it posted on here but im bored so why not. critique and let me know what you guys think, what main things i look like i lacked/needed to improve, what i did well, you know.

Main thing I notice is you need to keep the weight on your back foot when you punch. You're leaning forward in combinations and that will leave you off balance and diminish your power.

1- Arm punches.
2-You're hitting too low!! TOO LOW! Hit shoulder height.
3-Improve footwork, your legs get crossed alot of times.
4-Your hands go down when you punch.
5-The 1-2 seem unfunctional, it is like you are doing what you have been told to do without knowing why. Put some more hips into the 2 and...snap it man, SNAPP ITTT.
6-Give me some information? Height, Weight, Reach, Pro/Amateur, etc.

Main thing I notice is you need to keep the weight on your back foot when you punch. You're leaning forward in combinations and that will leave you off balance and diminish your power.

That is partially ok unless his head goes over his lead leg, same goes for weight on the back, if his head goes over the rear leg, his unbalanced.

1- Arm punches.
2-You're hitting too low!! TOO LOW! Hit shoulder height.
3-Improve footwork, your legs get crossed alot of times.
4-Your hands go down when you punch.
5-The 1-2 seem unfunctional, it is like you are doing what you have been told to do without knowing why. Put some more hips into the 2 and...snap it man, SNAPP ITTT.
6-Give me some information? Height, Weight, Reach, Pro/Amateur, etc.

That is partially ok unless his head goes over his lead leg, same goes for weight on the back, if his head goes over the rear leg, his unbalanced.

Balance can't be determined strictly by where his head is placed. He brings his front foot forward when he throws combinations, and he brings his head forward, which shifts the weight forward. I prefer a 40/60 balance with more on the back foot since I'm a backwords moving fighter. However, I know you can be a very successful forward moving fighter with primary weight placed on the back foot also.

Balance can't be determined strictly by where his head is placed. He brings his front foot forward when he throws combinations, and he brings his head forward, which shifts the weight forward. I prefer a 40/60 balance with more on the back foot since I'm a backwords moving fighter. However, I know you can be a very successful forward moving fighter with primary weight placed on the back foot also.

Well, Most of my weight is on the front foot *peekaboo stance* gives me more stability than being 50/50 or 40/60 on back. So I just gave out my personal opinion :p You get used to something after doing it alot of times and getting used to it tho.

6 foot, 179 lbs, not exact on the reach but have decently long arms, and I havent fought yet.

6 foot with decent long arms, sounds like an out-fighter to me. Drop the weight on front leg idea, you need to be floating like a butterfly and stinging like bee. always keep jabbing and jabbing and jabbing.

6 foot with decent long arms, sounds like an out-fighter to me. Drop the weight on front leg idea, you need to be floating like a butterfly and stinging like bee. always keep jabbing and jabbing and jabbing.

thats what all my trainers have always told me. i just love the inside bodyshot bob n weave style. but i guess at my size it doesnt make much sense and ishould probably go with my advantages

Can anyone put "you're the best" by Joe esposito over that? That would be super.

thats what all my trainers have always told me. i just love the inside bodyshot bob n weave style. but i guess at my size it doesnt make much sense and ishould probably go with my advantages

I am Infighting style, wanna hear some crazy measurements? 5'10, 170lb, 68in reach :D

I am Infighting style, wanna hear some crazy measurements? 5'10, 170lb, 68in reach :D

damn lol. both styles have pros and cons that make me prefer them but i just love the bodyshot bob and weave style more than the stay outside pop the jab out style ya know.

damn lol. both styles have pros and cons that make me prefer them but i just love the bodyshot bob and weave style more than the stay outside pop the jab out style ya know.

Watch some of my videos on youtube *Name= FlowFollower* usually infighting and improving. Watch that, and try NOT to mimic it :p you could be an infighter, but you need to increase your weight DECENTLY to the point that the people you compete with are much taller than you with reach advantage :p

I'd advise against trying to bouncing around with your footworks at this stage of your training. The best footworks are the one that is simple and functional that helps you keep the optimal distance/attack angle between you and your opponent, while provide balance and power to your punch. Bouncing around may LOOKED good, but if you don't know what you are doing then you are needlessly wasting your energy. Look at Joe Louis' footworks.

His footworks are simple, and may consider sluggish by today's standard, but the guy have extremely good balance, good attack angle and hit like a truck.

As for the weight distribution, people around here have more of a rear weight bias, and i myself fight off my backfoot so i will advise you so, because it provide stability, that plus learning how to shift weight properly will provide power and reach advantages to your punches.

Back