Before James Toney...

theseusM

White Belt
Reaction score
...there was former WBC Champ Matthew Saud Muhammad against this Shootwrestler during the early 90s:

HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMbgvpTX9Y

WAAAYYY before this there was a slightly famous boxer by the name of Cassius Clay. You might have heard him addressed as Muhammed Ali (ask Ernie Terrel what his real name is). He fought a pro wrestler by the name of Antonio Inoki in the year 1976. True story.

WAAAYYY before this there was a slightly famous boxer by the name of Cassius Clay. You might have heard him addressed as Muhammed Ali (ask Ernie Terrel what his real name is). He fought a pro wrestler by the name of Antonio Inoki in the year 1976. True story.

wow man thats incredible!

I've been waiting to see this for years, i've seen photos. But seriously... that was toilet. Apart form Inoki's cheeky elbow.

I've been waiting to see this for years, i've seen photos. But seriously... that was toilet. Apart form Inoki's cheeky elbow.

The rules favored Ali way too much, Inoki pretty much couldn't apply any offense.

Yeah, it is hardly a mixed match if Inoki is not allowed to wrestle.

And even before that we have Gene Lebell vs Milo Savage who was actually the referee for the Antonio Inoki vs Muhammad Ali fight.

There no footage of it but John Sullivan fought his trainer( I can't remember his name) who was a greco roman champ. He put down Sullivan in 2 min.

there is still nothing like watching two great boxers have at it! Nothing

There no footage of it but John Sullivan fought his trainer( I can't remember his name) who was a greco roman champ. He put down Sullivan in 2 min.

William Muldoon was an undefeated Greco-Roman Champ and really the first conditioning coach in boxing. Catch wrestling was part of Sullivan's training as well as jumping rope, medicine ball routines, and core exercises.

But Mulddon always said the most important change he made with Sullivan is keeping him sober before the fights.

There was also Trevor Berbick (who was a good fighter and in his prime) vs Takada, but Berbick was told that there were no strikes below the waste, and the rule was changed last minute without letting Berbick know, or something like that. He got pissed and left

What is the exact purpose of this thread??
Technically none of the fights posted were legit mma fights.More like exhibitions or something.So i wouldnt compare it to the James Toney bout that much.

Theres was many known boxers before Toney who fought under mma rules.
Mercer,Botha, Tommy Morrison,Julius Francis(kickboxer,boxer),Przemyslaw Saleta-(EBU heayyweight title)(he's fighting next ksw) .Jeremy Williams(boxer but also judo background) and others.

heres the famous Jeremy Williams /Lennox lewis sparring session when Williams threw Lewis to the ground a few times and he got upset.:)

Last edited:

lol, i seen this and the documentary facing ali. earnie terell's song he sang before his bout with ali was pretty funny!

heres the famous Jeremy Williams /Lennox lewis sparring session when Williams threw Lewis to the ground a few times and he got upset.:)

Williams is just acting like a douche right there. That is boxing and Jeremy is being paid to be a sparring partner. The judo tosses have no place there. BTW there is more to that sparring clip. Lewis busts Williams up later for fucking around.

wat the heck happened here??? Im also pretty sure Turner was a k-1 fighter

He did compete at some K1 tourneys in Europe i believe.
At one point he was posting on sherdog ,but has'nt been here for a while now.

Last edited:
Slightly off base but wanted to include it, a pro wrestler instead challenging a boxer, under boxing rules. Here, a retired 45 year old Jack Dempsey kicks the ever loving shit out of pro wrestler Cowboy Luttrell, who legitimately pissed off Dempsey when he was refereeing a pro wrestling match:

Boxer vs. Wrestler, Jack Dempsey vs. Clarence Cowboy Luttrell

Dempsey, weighing 205 pound, battered down the 224-pound Luttrell after one minute and 58 seconds of the second frame. The former champion, while showing none of the old fire and dynamite that carried him to the heavyweight crown, badly beat the awkward and clumsy wrestler who was almost out at the bell that ended the first round.

Luttrell hung on almost from the opening gong as Dempsey cut his face to ribbons. After Luttrell had gone down for counts of seven and eight in the second round, Dempsey moved up and cut loose with a looping left that caught Luttrell flush on the chin and knocked him all the way out of the ring.

The Texas bad man, who challenged the one-time Manassa Mauler to settle things with the six ounce gloves after Dempsey had clashed with him in refereeing a wrestling match, failed to get up off the ground and had to be carried to his dressing room.

wat the heck happened here??? Im also pretty sure Turner was a k-1 fighter

I was there for it live... was fun while it lasted.

I actually got in an argument about Smiler about it saying that he should have finished Francis earlier.

Back