1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Beef - Pasture vs Grain Fed

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by unregisturd, Aug 19, 2010.

1. unregisturd

unregisturd The human grappling dummy

I'll admit that I am a bit of a foodie and of late have really started to enjoy Wagyu, Kobe and other beef that is grain fed.

Unfortunately, I keep seeing conflicting reports and studies on the pros and cons of grain fed beef.

Any thoughts?

P.S. - Any info specific to ketogenic dieting would be much appreciated.

2. JSN

JSN Bitch Lasagna

kobe is wagyu.

3. scottm

scottm Green Belt

4. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

grassfed is more "natural" and will have a more favorable fat distribution as opposed to grain fed

5. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt Platinum Member

The difference flavour-wise can be quite interesting. I have, in my freezer, steaks from two different pastured, grass-finished farms. One tastes like a rich, nutty, well aged steak. The grain of the meat appears different, more substantial I would say. But it's recognizably a 'beef' flavour.

From the other farm, the flavour profile of the meat is quite interesting. The meat itself tastes like a regular ol' steak. The fat, on the other hand, tastes gamey, like moose.

The feeding practices of the farms differs, partly out of necessity. But I think it boils down to this. The animal has to be gaining weight when it's slaughtered, or the flavour, and texture of meat will be altered for the worse(although, I particularily enjoy moose).

6. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

You pointed out grass-finished. Did you do this to point out one or both farms feedlot and/or supplement their diets with corn, soy etc until they are almost ready to go to slaughter? Or did you just mean they are fully pastured and grass-fed without any conventional feed?

Also were they slaughtered at different times of the year? There will be a great difference in fat between summer and winter. I'd suspect taste would differ much the same way.

7. jimbammer

jimbammer White Belt

If you want more 03 take more fish oil...it is WAY more cost effective than buying steak that costs 2x as much for a couple fish oil pills of O3. It is the same thing for those omega 3 eggs that are way more expensive.

Any other benefits than the omega 3 content? I have never heard of any.

8. scottm

scottm Green Belt

I get fresh grass fed beef for 2.99 a lb processed ... that means, steaks, ground, roasts and however else I choose to have it cut for less than most people pay for regular old ground at the store. Most farms around here I have contacted that do pastured grass fed are all around that price btw, as long as you buy a cow (or split it with 1, or 3 other people) it is actually cheaper.

9. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Vitamins, minerals, CLA, less omega 6, etc.

10. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

[​IMG]

11. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

FWIW, I don't find all that much difference in the flavor of the various cuts of pastured beef that I've tried as compared to the ordinary. A slight bit more gamy and "present" a flavor, but that's a personal palate thing. Grass fed beef bacon, however, is like eating jesus.

Where I do notice the taste variance, however, is in the comparison of flavors between grass fed dairy and conventional dairy. I notice a HUGE difference there, in both cheeses and milk. So much so that I'll never purchase anything but raw, grass fed cheese/milk again. They're so awesome, that the great benefits in the way of nutrition that you get from it seem an afterthought, lol.

12. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt Platinum Member

The slaughter times between them differed between the two by 3 weeks, at least, although, both of them are summer-beef, grown in the same area(more or less).

I did point out the grass finished as well as grass fed because these farms grow their cattle completely grain-free. The only unconventional feed given to the animals is barley sprouts. And the moose tasting cows are allowed to forage for wild turnips.

The difference in flavour between the two is I think one farm brings their animals in earlier during the winter. Where I live, there's cold-snaps in November that plunge down to -40. It's almost always last week of November, first week of December. However, one farm keeps the cows out to forage into december(one interview with the head rancher said). I can't see how the cattle would be able to effectively gain weight in that environment, and it may affect the flavour of the meat.

13. unregisturd

unregisturd The human grappling dummy

Yeah its a type of Wagyu cattle. It's different to normal Wagyu though.

At least here it's more expensive and to me it looks a bit different.

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys. It seems that there really isn't enough difference between grain & grass fed for me to be concerned with it.

Cheers.