Becoming an MMA Strength and Conditioning Coach

ImpulseSC

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some advice on starting a career as strength and conditioning coach specializing in combat sports. Basically, how does one specialize and land a good job? Internship, good connections, successful MMA career, etc

Long story short:
I trained muay thai for several years, saw gains after I started lifting. Had a great time and decided to make a career out of it. I went the academic route, worked hard, Masters, CSCS, PES. Tried a chain health club and other personal trainer work but it wasn't for me.
I've been doing a good deal of searching but no real success.

Thanks in advance

Well you could embrace battle ropes, crossfit and bane masks like most other mma conditioning "coaches"

Or you could take the approach where you actually try to improve the atheletes abilities with modern relevant training programs focused on the demands of an mma fighter. Look up the work of Joel Jamieson at 8 weeks out, he is leading the way in this approach.

As for forming a plan to get a job when you feel like you are able to objectively measure and improve a fighters s+c then there are hundreds of small up and coming teams who's conditioning consists of bw circuits and other random junk, desperatly in need of a professional approach. In the mean time I would try to pick up an internship/assistant s+c coach role for a college level/semi pro (ideally a wrestling team or something) team or something just so you can say you have experience working with atheletes.

So you've already completed your masters? Did you complete an assistantship with a sports team during that process?

So you've already completed your masters? Did you complete an assistantship with a sports team during that process?

I completed my assistantship with a few of the University's teams (no wrestling team, though).
My faculty advisor and I phoned/emailed several gyms, but never really heard back.

I guess I wanted to know what steps SC coaches take to get their foot in the door.

Thanks

I interned for nearly five years (unpaid) before I ever got a paid gig. If you want to be a real S&C coach, this is what you have to do.

If looking for a job at an MMA gym you probably will have to intern for awhile like Jake stated. In my opinion if you have the credentials why not start your own place? There are so many more benefits to being self-employed than working at someone else's gym.

I interned for nearly five years (unpaid) before I ever got a paid gig. If you want to be a real S&C coach, this is what you have to do.

Whats the best way to find a MMA gym that takes interns?
Whats your opinion on interning at a gym with a head S&C coach vs. staff personal trainers vs. no S&C program in place

Thanks again

What all of my mentors have taught me is that you have to seek out the people who are doing what you want to do and learn from them.

As far as what kind of place to intern at, that is entirely up to what you want to do. All of my internships have been at private strength and conditioning gyms and I've also gone to a lot of different colleges to talk to the coaches and watch their training.

Makes sense, its a competitive field and you have to pay your dues.
I appreciate everyone's help.

What all of my mentors have taught me is that you have to seek out the people who are doing what you want to do and learn from them.

As far as what kind of place to intern at, that is entirely up to what you want to do. All of my internships have been at private strength and conditioning gyms and I've also gone to a lot of different colleges to talk to the coaches and watch their training.

And many/most/all collegiate S&C interns move around A TON just to get experience from multiple sources, broadening their horizion.

Tough hours, too...

It seems to me, if you want to be in this world without really "knowing someone" you need certifications of some sort just to even be looked at.

Yeah, being a collegiate intern is no easy task. You put in a ton of hours and have to do all the shit that no one else wants to do.

The strength and conditioning world is so much about who you know its insane. The garbage coaches that I've seen in positions they have no business being in is sickening.

Thanks for everything so far.

What do you think is the best way to approach a private MMA gym?
As a student, it was an internship and the coaches knew the process. Not sure with a business

And many/most/all collegiate S&C interns move around A TON just to get experience from multiple sources, broadening their horizion.

Tough hours, too...

It seems to me, if you want to be in this world without really "knowing someone" you need certifications of some sort just to even be looked at.

You need them regardless of who you know.

Back