Becoming a Barata! (blue belt)

Slithers

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am proud to say I am now a cockroach (blue belt)! It has been much harder than I ever anticipated.

Luckily, I received tons of help from the upper belts. There was a time for beatings and there was a time to let me practice my stuff. I really appreciate them taking the time to teach me.

I have competed in 2 tournaments (one large, one small) for a record of 1-2. I won my first match by kimura, and lost my second match 2-0 . Then, I lost my first match at American Nationals by armbar.

Did we have a belt test? Yeah, after we passed, we got judo thrown by about 20 people from black belt to white. It was awesome.

As for the test we demonstrated front rolls, back roll, hip escape. We had to know Single leg, double leg, tomo nage, ogoshi, and osotogari throws. A few guard sweeps and submissions, a couple mount escapes, a few sidecontrol escapes, a few different ways to open and pass guard, a few mount submissions and side control submissions, knee on belly, and escaping the back. We had to explain exactly what we were doing and why, as if we were teaching someone. We also had to perform self defense techniques from various positions such as bear hug over/under arms, headlock, throat grab, collar grabs, etc. The hardest part of the test was that our instructor wanted us to demonstrate different techniques than the other person.

Anyways, thanks for reading. And thanks for the all the BJJ advice over the years. If it hadn't been for sherdog I might still be 'backyard brawling' :redface: thinking I am actually learning something. Now I really AM learning.

*Update*

Here I am with my instructor, Gerson Sanginitto (2nd Degree Carlos Gracie, Jr. Black Belt). I know some of you will know him from Nino Schembri's Omoplata & Side Control DVD and Gordo's Half Guard DVD. I feel incredibly lucky to train under him.

DSC_0335.jpg

Nor do I. I though he was telling us about how he was cheap at first.

Well, anyway, congratulations.

Congrats on your blue belt! In Brazil, blue belts are often called cockroaches according to GTR.

Sorry, bad joke maybe.

I am actuallly very proud to be promoted, even if it is a minor accomplishment in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks guys.

Sorry, bad joke maybe.

I am actuallly very proud to be promoted, even if it is a minor accomplishment in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks guys.

Naw it's a good joke. TTYTT, sometimes I miss the backyard training. It was all so much simpler back then.

Sorry, bad joke maybe.

Thanks guys.

Slithers,

Well deserved my friend. I was at his test, and the thing did last awhile. He is more than deserving. These guy is a gym rat in every sense of the word!

See you at the academy buddy, and congratulations again!

Big Kris

Naw it's a good joke. TTYTT, sometimes I miss the backyard training. It was all so much simpler back then.

Yep. Gotta start somewhere anyways.

Slithers,

Well deserved my friend. I was at his test, and the thing did last awhile. He is more than deserving. These guy is a gym rat in every sense of the word!

See you at the academy buddy, and congratulations again!

Big Kris

Thanks for the kind words, Kris.

I think we got the 'extended' test for some reason! Gerson would say do 2 sweeps from guard, then after executing those 2, he would say "Do another one. Do another one." I was running out of techniques. He likes to mess around with us, though.

I have no doubt in my mind that Sherdog helped with some important lessons. Gym etiquette, the manner in which a person trains, technical insight, and training philosophies are all things I learned about from posters here and bloggers. So Thanks!

Yep. Gotta start somewhere anyways.

Thanks for the kind words, Kris.

I think we got the 'extended' test for some reason! Gerson would say do 2 sweeps from guard, then after executing those 2, he would say "Do another one. Do another one." I was running out of techniques. He likes to mess around with us, though.

\QUOTE]

He definatley does that. I remember when I tested. I had jeremy and gerson. But jeremy was doing it for the most part. But gerson would pop in there and be like "OK, now I want sweep to submission or show me one more sweep." hahahha. funny guy that gerson.

Everybody gets a white belt. The blue belt is the first one that you actually earn. Congratulations.

Sorry, bad joke maybe.

Thanks guys.

nah, it was clever to those who know the reference.

good work bro! For the record I got what you meant by cockroach.

Thanks very much guys. I appreciate your comments.

Jiu-jitsu is a big part of my life.

In Brazil they say the only thing to survive the atomic bombs are cockroaches and blubelts..

In Brazil they say the only thing to survive the atomic bombs are cockroaches and blubelts..

Sweet! :icon_chee

Here we are:

6 new belts at Gracie Barra Culver City:
Yeah I was pretty happy.
DSC_0348.jpg

Saturday's attendees:

DSC_0345.jpg

congratulations, man. how many hours a week did you train? more or less?

congratulations, man. how many hours a week did you train? more or less?

Thanks, bro.

When I first started it was something like 3-5 hours a week (training 2 days).

Then I was training about 8-10 hrs a week for a long time (training 5 days).

I have more recently cut back to about 5-8 hours a week (training 3-4 days) to nurse a rib injury.

Back