Beatdown Of The Year ?

Glover, I was actually really worried for Maldonado by the end of the second. He was reacting just enough not get the fight stopped, but absorbing insane amounts of unfiltered damage.

Dawson_Crying.gif

Ref needs to be fired, it was criminal letting that go on that long.

2. Warren/Curran

i1hGiUMUNWfXx.gif

I think Warren was KO'd 275 times in this fight. Worst reffing of all time.

As mentioned before, Warren's corner shares as much blaim as the ref. A towel toss would have ended the beatdown after the first KO. Or second. Or third. Or twenty-third.

Strange how we ALWAYS singled out the ref for every late-stoppage, when the loser's cornermen themselves think the timing is perfectly acceptable.

As mentioned before, Warren's corner shares as much blaim as the ref. A towel toss would have ended the beatdown after the first KO. Or second. Or third. Or twenty-third.

Strange how we ALWAYS singled out the ref for every late-stoppage, when the loser's cornermen themselves think the timing is perfectly acceptable.

it's illegal to throw in the towl.

Holy 1998.

It is very legal according to the Unified Rules of MMA, which Bellator FC complies with.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/why-didnt-warrens-corner-throw-towel-2038211/

Elsewhere, Misaki's brain were saved from Santiago's onslaught by a towel 30 seconds before the bell. Other than that, Cornermen nowadays often decide to leave their fighters for dead.

http://www.fighting-mma.com/ufc-rules-and-regulations.php

look at the last foul.

it undermines the refs authority or some shit.

Would 'throwing in the towel' have saved Joe Warren from excessive trauma at Bellator 60?

VOJJNTVJVOUHDYV.20120310082918_large_huge.jpg

As referees became more knowledgeable and capable of making correct stoppages, the need for a corner to stop a fight became practically nonexistent.

That is, until last Friday night (March 9, 2012) at Bellator 60 when featherweight champion Joe Warren received a sustained and brutal beating at the hands of Pat Curran in the third round of the main event that lasted at least 15 seconds too long.

You can see it here, Warren eats a big knee to the face at the 14-second mark while ducking down for a takedown and it stops him in his tracks. From here on out, it's a complete one-sided thrashing by Curran.

Curran destroyed Warren, hitting him with about 40 unanswered blows for a full 28 seconds. On major rubbery legs, Warren turned away from punishment twice during this flurry of strikes and went down hard along the fence just eight seconds after absorbing another pair of knees.

Stopping the fight while Curran was swarming him then would have been acceptable. Commentator Jimmy Smith even said "This is gonna be stopped right now" during the sequence.

But, referee Jeff Malott allowed the action to continue.

After Curran continued to crush Warren and sent him reeling into the fence once more, Smith announced, "They need to stop this, he's done." This time, there was serious concern in his voice.

Nonetheless, the fight continued until Warren ate a pair of huge uppercuts, which finally sent him crashing to the canvas completely out cold.

When a referee is not protecting the fighter, that's when corner intervention could have been an option.

Bellator follows the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which allows a corner to stop a fight. While some commissions don't allow an actual towel to be thrown into the cage (because an audience member could do it too), they do allow corners to step in and inform the commission they want the fight to be stopped. After all, they know their fighter better than anyone else.

The most recent example of this was the epic Jorge Santiago vs. Kazuo Misaki 2 fight that headlined Sengoku 14 in 2010. Misaki was exhausted and taking serious punishment on the ground from Santiago. Despite the fact that there were only 30 seconds left in the five round bout, his corner threw in the towel to save their fighter.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/12/2...he-towel-have-saved-joe-warren-from-excessive

Elsewhere, Misaki's brain were saved from Santiago's onslaught by a towel 30 seconds before the bell. Other than that, Cornermen nowadays often decide to leave their fighters for dead.

I honestly think the corner shouldn't have thrown in the towel on that one. He would've won if he could've continued the extra 30 seconds. The beatdown was fairly savage, but not unduly so, and Misaki more or less had the fight in the bag up until the last 3 minutes. Santiago was pretty gassed himself and I doubt he could've kept up a meaningful assault much longer, if at all. Plus, it's not like Misaki wasn't at least TRYING to make something happen.

Frank Trigg and I are on the same page on this one.

Crazy how a large majority of this thread believes Cain Bigfoot for 2012.

So far, it seems like Cain Bigfoot II for 2013.

Bj rory was the first to come to mind.

But glover bouncing Maldonado's head off the mat still hurts my soul

Back