Beatable Jones vs Resilient Jones

Greyscale

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
After surprisingly tough fight in Gustaffson vs Jones, which I personally wouldn't even try to score, there're just more questions left.

We've never seen Jones taken down (much less multiple times in a fight), bloodied and battered and unable to impose his will and dictate where the fight goes. Perhaps Gustaffson finally showed him what it's like to be not a prodigy but a fighter. It is not always toying around with smaller challengers at huge reach disadvantage, taking down and crushing them at will. It's being hit repeatedly in the face as well.

At the very least it says that Jones is human and beatable. His wrestling and reach doesn't always work.

But still that fight made Jones even more scary. He showcased his ability to overcome adversity and never fold. Something that other champions deemed untouchable lack. First he fights with his toe ripped off and now he fights a big and strong guy who happened to be a good boxer, standing. I'm not a Jones fan (he completely destroyed my favorite fighter in Shogun) but he is a real deal. He wouldn't tap when punched in the face. It's something that Fedor had in the days of old. One of his most formidable feats was winning when not dominating. He could knock out and submit people even being stunned and staggered.

So will we see Jones fall relatively soon or will his reign span for years till his "werdum" arrives?

He was only 70% and never fully recovered from his toe injury. He's still not quite human.

Actually Jones' refusal to fight Gus in a rematch says it all. Now he wants to silence critics by... fighting Glover. What a mess.

Im taking Gus either way. Resilient Jones might have got KTFO.

"Not focused too much on boxing " Jones or "supposedly neglected wrestling" Jones is still unbeatable

If there's one things fans and younger fighters should learn, it's to learn from the great Fedor Emelianenko. Fedor repeatedly said that NO ONE is unbeatable. He always reminded his fans, even in his prime- that he was just human and could be beat any single night.

I wish guys like Jones had more of that kind of attitude. It is what kept Fedor strong and beastly for a decade against all comers.

GSP is the only fighter who wear this mentality in modern mma. He shows respect to all his fighters and trains hard and fights hard every time.

Anderson used to be like that but hasn't been that way for years now. Hopefully getting punched in the face brings back his discipline.

In MMA, anyone can be beat on any give night. That's the beauty of this sport. You've got to stay focused.

I like Jones' behavior after the fight. He said right away that he had to go back to the drawing boards and that there was much for him to learn.

Now that's a martial artist. He thanked Gus for a great fight, they gave each other a bow... and Jones has vowed to train harder than ever

Gus is going to work harder as well, and now that he's getting more attention than ever before- he could likely afford a proper A class team. Maybe not like what GSP has, but a great all around expert.
If I'm not mistaken he's making 25k/25k right now?

Gus raised his stocks big time.

Both these guys will be here for another 10 years. It's going to be a pleasure to watch them grow and lead the next generation of top world class athletes in MMA.

If there's one things fans and younger fighters should learn, it's to learn from the great Fedor Emelianenko. Fedor repeatedly said that NO ONE is unbeatable. He always reminded his fans, even in his prime- that he was just human and could be beat any single night.

I wish guys like Jones had more of that kind of attitude. It is what kept Fedor strong and beastly for a decade against all comers.

GSP is the only fighter who wear this mentality in modern mma. He shows respect to all his fighters and trains hard and fights hard every time.

Anderson used to be like that but hasn't been that way for years now. Hopefully getting punched in the face brings back his discipline.

In MMA, anyone can be beat on any give night. That's the beauty of this sport. You've got to stay focused.

I like Jones' behavior after the fight. He said right away that he had to go back to the drawing boards and that there was much for him to learn.

Now that's a martial artist. He thanked Gus for a great fight, they gave each other a bow... and Jones has vowed to train harder than ever

Gus is going to work harder as well, and now that he's getting more attention than ever before- he could likely afford a proper A class team. Maybe not like what GSP has, but a great all around expert.
If I'm not mistaken he's making 25k/25k right now?

Gus raised his stocks big time.

Both these guys will be here for another 10 years. It's going to be a pleasure to watch them grow and lead the next generation of top world class athletes in MMA.

I actually agree that fans should come to realize this but fighters I dont know. It's good to have supreme confidence in a cage fight. Fedor was just a freak of nature and a very wise man. He didnt always fight smart but his approach to MMA was always honest. Its like he took emotion out of a fight like nobody ever has or will imo.

I actually agree that fans should come to realize this but fighters I dont know. It's good to have supreme confidence in a cage fight. Fedor was just a freak of nature and a very wise man. He didnt always fight smart but his approach to MMA was always honest. Its like he took emotion out of a fight like nobody ever has or will imo.

Yea i think Brett Rogers and Tim Sylvia admitted later that they were a bit scared at the stare-down just before the fight because it was like fighting a mass murderer because Fedor is just so blank.

Here's psychologist Joe Bell's take on Fedor's staredown

"The best when it comes to the staredown is Fedor Emelianenko. Watch him: he does not make eye contact and his entire expression is extremely relaxed - you would think he is about to sit down for dinner or something.

"But here is the crucial thing. When the referee tells them to head back to their corners, Fedor suddenly darts a short look directly at his opponent - or through his opponent, I should say.

"This kind of look is associated with antisocial behavioural disorders and psychopaths. They don't look at you, they look through you. It's emotionless, it goes deeper than skin level.

"You will get a lot of fighters who will catch that look and suddenly realise they don't want to be there.

Mind Games: Psychological Warfare in MMA,
Fighters Only magazine, issue 56

showed he could take damage and not completely falter.

would still like to see him sharpen up his defense and composure when defending strikes to the face. that is, not relying so much on the outstretched arm tactic. he's still a bit uncomfortable in exchanges.

Actually Jones' refusal to fight Gus in a rematch says it all. Now he wants to silence critics by... fighting Glover. What a mess.

Lamest excuse ever. Not recovered from toe injury and still kicking Gus' head again and again and never even limping. I don't buy it.

I don't think he will reign like anderson or GSP did, TS. He proved himself a warrior, but his aura of invencibility is not there anymore. The next guys will come hungry and less scared.

Back