Beast Muay Thai fighter in MMA? (Has to be legit)

Came here to second this! Especially in his fight against silva he displayed it perfectly and has pretty much done it in a couple of fights up to and after that one! He ties in elbows to his clinch work very well (especially his hand positioning and straight elbows and elbows over the top) and mixes in the trips and kick catch counters! Whilst Anderson had a good clinch I still think Matt brown uses his more affectivley and displays more traditional MT techniques and would go so far as to say his use of it is the best in the UFC atm!

i feel look most people think im crazy when i bring up Brown but he shows way more MT skills in the cage than Anderson or most everyone else.

He is one of the few technical strikers in MMA. His record in Muay Thai speaks for itself.

Bas is not an MT guy...he came from Kyokushin, if i remember correctly.

wearing MT shorts does not automatically make you a nakmuay. i mean...this is literally the guy that said something to the effect after Machida vs Shogun 1 that "leg kicks certainly dont finish fights":

cecil-peoples.jpg

Shame on all you guys...Jon Jones has displayed the best Muay Thai in MMA, period.

22186.2.jpg

Shame on all you guys...Jon Jones has displayed the best Muay Thai in MMA, period.

Only if you define muay thai as "all standup".
JJ is good at standup, but a muay thai stylist he is not.

22186.2.jpg

are you trolling or just joking around?

JBJ doesnt fight like a Muay Thai fighter...neither does Anderson. just look at his roundhouse (Jones, or Anderson's)...its actually not particularly good (in comparison to MT based fighters). he throws a lot of spinning shit...while there are spinning back kicks and whatnot in MT, it is not a staple of the art.

hell, just look at the gifs you posted. Jones doesnt really open his hips (shrimping his kicks) when he kicks (in the first one against Glover especially).

besides...the TS was asking about legit MT fighters. most of the guys named in this thread do not have legit MT careers, aside from the Thais and guys like Cosmo.

pretty much this. if you take his individual striking components (outside of his spinning/standing elbows), he's actually not that fundamentally good. yeah, people are gonna talk shit probably about that statement but i stand by it...he's not the most technical or powerful striker, he just makes unorthodox shit work with his range and athleticism.

you put JBJ against a guy like Spong with 4oz gloves in an MMA cage but straight standup and you'll see the difference in striking technique. without the threat of the TD and Jones having to make things happen solely on the feet, he wouldnt be as impressive. yes, i know theres a huge difference in standup experience but thats sort of the point.

hell, you put current day Rampage (the way he fought against Fabio M.) in that cage against Jones in the same scenario I mentioned above with Spong and Jones wouldnt look as good as he normally does...he might even get knocked out (assuming Rampage finally learned how to deal with the oblique kick lol).

This. It would take a real Nak Muay only 1 round to completely embarrass JBJ in a traditional muay Thai fight.

Back