Beast Muay Thai fighter in MMA? (Has to be legit)

well silva is one of the few in UFC who display a dominant clinch game mixed with knees and elbows. everyone thinks of the roundhouse as the showcase strike for muay thai, but its the clinch, knees and elbows that distinguish it from other sports under the kickboxing umbrella.

@paradigm yeah silva has TKD lineage, but hes still one of the best muay thai practitioners in ufc. when it comes to good mma artists, its hard to say "this guy is TKD, or this guy is bjj fighter". ppl look at nick diaz as one of the posterboys of boxing in ufc, but no one denies he's a legit bjj fighter.

as for TKD style, how often do you guys see anderson silva throw a spinning kick? :D

Silva is not muay thai. He rarely throws roundhouse kicks to the body. His clinch is basic double plum that every other mma guy knows. He rarely throws standing elbows. Matt Brown has better MT clinch.

do you even read the threads you post in? look at post #9 above.

Silva is not muay thai. He rarely throws roundhouse kicks to the body. His clinch is basic double plum that every other mma guy knows. He rarely throws standing elbows. Matt Brown has better MT clinch.

as crazy as this sounds, I actually think Matt Brown has displayed more/better MT clinch in his fights than Anderson also. he's got some good trips from the clinch as well.

Matt+Brown+Throws+Erick+Silva+UFC+Fight+Night+Cincinnati.gif

as crazy as this sounds, I actually think Matt Brown has displayed more/better MT clinch in his fights than Anderson also. he's got some good trips from the clinch as well.

I wouldn't disagree with that. He's certainly displayed a wider array of MT skills in MMA. I think with Anderson he was such a superior striker to most of his opponents that gave him free reign to almost anything he wanted and make it work.

Do u guys know any legit thai boxers in mma? CK wants to see a thai boxer who can adapt in mma and destroy others with his/her thai boxing skills. Joanne calderwood doesnt look that good. The other champion girl looks good but ck wants to see how a good thai boxer deals with a well rounded mma guy with strong wrestling.

Is your goal to make MT fans look like idiots?

Bas Rutten. He did very well up until the nr 1-3 wrestlers in the world took him apart. Then he had to adopt submission wrestling. Rutten is to this day one of the few outstanding strikers in MMA.

This. Brown has the best MT clinch game in mma.

Also TS stop referring to yourself in 3rd person.

Bas Rutten. He did very well up until the nr 1-3 wrestlers in the world took him apart. Then he had to adopt submission wrestling. Rutten is to this day one of the few outstanding strikers in MMA.

I thought he was primarily from a karate background?

I thought he was primarily from a karate background?

No. Rutten transitioned from Kyokushin Karate to Muay Thai, where he stayed and competed. His Muay Thai record was I believe 14-2, most his wins came by way of knockout in the first or second round in MT. And he could knockout MMA fighters having no wrestling background himself, until they figured out they better take him down...

No. Rutten transitioned from Kyokushin Karate to Muay Thai, where he stayed and competed. His Muay Thai record was I believe 14-2, most his wins came by way of knockout in the first or second round in MT. And he could knockout MMA fighters having no wrestling background himself, until they figured out they better take him down...

Bas is overrated and his style is not muay thai. He brawls. He doesn't throw teeps.

do you even read the threads you post in? look at post #9 above.

Came here to second this! Especially in his fight against silva he displayed it perfectly and has pretty much done it in a couple of fights up to and after that one! He ties in elbows to his clinch work very well (especially his hand positioning and straight elbows and elbows over the top) and mixes in the trips and kick catch counters! Whilst Anderson had a good clinch I still think Matt brown uses his more affectivley and displays more traditional MT techniques and would go so far as to say his use of it is the best in the UFC atm!

Jose Aldo, I am not sure if he has competed in muay thai though. Thomas Almeida has had some muay thai fights, but not against top wrestlers and has bad defense.

Ludwig, Spong, Barboza- all guys who started Muay Thai at an early age then transitioned to MMA.

Bas Rutten fought kickboxing rules even though most people in Holland at that time called it thaiboxing. There was very limited clinching and no elbows.

Also the style of fighting is very different than muay thai. Just look at his kicks to see what's different.

Speaks for what? You realize there is hardly a sport of Muay Thai above 160lbs?

Bas has always been overrated, not saying he's bad... But he has never fought a high calibre of fighter to begin with. (aside from the Shamrock brothers...Which some would argue aren't high calibre).
He throws his crosses to the body in pancrase with his defending hand almost at his other knee. People should emulate him as a person, who he is and what he has done for the sport. Not so much on his technique in fighting.

Bas has always been overrated, not saying he's bad... But he has never fought a high calibre of fighter to begin with. (aside from the Shamrock brothers...Which some would argue aren't high calibre).
He throws his crosses to the body in pancrase with his defending hand almost at his other knee. People should emulate him as a person, who he is and what he has done for the sport. Not so much on his technique in fighting.

Funaki was considered one of the best in the world at one point. Shame about the fixed fights (that didn't involve Bas)

Back