Beards, Barbells, and Beer

Thurs Jan 18, 2018

Conditioning
Ran 5k on the treadmill in 35:12, a new best. Average HR was 134. Dropping some bloat has made this feel a lot better. Weighed 215.8 again this morning. I feel like I can hit 210 by the end of March.

Sun Jan 21, 2018

Hockey

Another tough game yesterday. The team we played was bumped down from the division above us so despite having a bad record they are a tough team. They didn't have any single superstar player but were solid and kept coming at us all game.

We controlled more of the play in the first period and jumped out to a 1-0 lead. In the second things were pretty even and we traded goals (literally like 30 seconds part) to stay up 2-1. Their goal was a sign of things to come though as our defenseman stood next to the opposing forward and watched them one-time a pass into the net. As the game went on he seemed to tire out and get lazy on defense. Defensemen were backing in on our goalie and not tying people up in front of the net. And then wingers weren't skating back so defense had to make long passes out of the zone.

In the third period our opponents kept up the pressure and eventually scored the tying goal to make it 2-2. As mentioned above, our defense wasn't being aggressive so they let the puck-carrier skate right into the high slot and put a wrist shot passed our goalie. And then later again they left players wide-open in front of the net and that lead to another goalie so we were down 3-2. We made a push in the last few minutes but were out of gas and lost 3-2.

I felt pretty good on the ice. I have a bit more jump due to weight loss and cardio finally paying off. I didn't have any points this week but was on the ice for both goals that we scored. It's further motivation to continue eating well and doing cardio.

Mon Jan 22,2018

Conditioning

20 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the ellpitical. Average HR 129. Legs were heavy today after yesterday's late hockey game (didn't get home until almost midnight)

Wed Jan 24, 2018

Conditioning

Ran 5k on the treadmill in 34:50. First time under 35 minutes. Average HR was 131. Walked on the treadmill to warm up and cool down.

Mon Jan 29, 2017

Conditioning

20 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the elliptical. Average HR was 131. Was 214.1 early last week, up to 215.8 on Friday then back down to 214.1 this morning. If I'm under 215 for the next two days I'll consider that one of my March goals completed.

Tues Jan 30, 2018

Conditioning

Warmed up on the treadmill and did a few minutes on the bike. Then did 20 laps on the bike. odd laps slow, even laps fast. HR bounced between 140 and 110 BPM. Took just under 20 minutes. Then did 10 minutes walking on the treadmill just to burn some more calories.

My weight was down to 211.9 this morning which is nuts. I'm down 11-12 lb since the beginning of the month. I figure it will slow down soon and then hopefully I can settle into a lb/week for the next few months. At this rate though I'll be at 200 by the end of February and 200 was a best-case scenario for all of 2018. I feel good and don't feel like I'm depriving myself of food that I want so the plan is to keep eating this way and eventually I'll plateau at a good weight. It really helps that we've been cooking healthy but also tasty meals.

Fri Feb 2, 2018

Conditioning

Walked on the treadmill for a bit and then ran 5k in 34:15. Getting close to my goal of sub-34 minutes. Average HR was 132. Walked a bit more to cool down. My weight was down to 210.8 this morning. My pants are starting to feel a bit loose but importantly I'm wondering how much strength I'm losing. I definitely look slimmer all over. It's most noticeably in my thighs and belly. It's not like I had much size in my shoulders anyway.

Sun Feb 4, 2018

Hockey

We got to play a rare game at the Ricoh Coliseum which is where the Toronto Marlies play (the Maple Leaf's AHL farm team). Unfortunately the game was at 10pm the same day as the Super Bowl so our opponents only had 5 skaters. Luckily they had 4 of their top 5 players so they were able to put up a decent fight.

At the start of the game it looked like we might totally blow them out as we were all over them and ran the score up to 8-1. Toward the end of the second period the refs asked if they could run the clock in the third period. Both teams agreed but then our opponents scored two quick goals to make it 8-3 so they changed their mind. Normally in a blowout the winning team would back off, which is what we did and allowed them to score and start getting chances. So we took this as permissions to keep taking it to them.

In the third period things got kinda chippy as they tried to make a comeback. It didn't work as we scored a few more goals and the final score was something like 11-4 or 12-4 (officially 9-4 due to mercy rules). They didn't seem to appreciate us continuing to be aggressive but the flip side was they were very aggressive and we weren't about to roll over.

My line had a solid game as both of my wingers had 4 points. Somehow I ended up only one assist though. The scorekeepers in this league aren't too detail oriented, lol.

My weight was 211.6 this morning. I'm not surprised that its up a bit since we had pizza for dinner on Saturday then smoked a bit of weed and ate snacks. I also had coffee and a muffin before hockey. So I probably had more carbs over the weekend than I did all of last week. Anyway, still feeling good and back to clean eating today.

Mon Feb 5, 2018

Conditioning

20 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes elliptical. Average HR was 121.

Tues Feb 6, 2018

Conditioning

I was going to do 2000m on the C2 but someone was using it so instead I gave intervals on the treadmill a try. Walked/jogged for about 5 minutes then did 25 minutes of intervals. Slow was 3.1 mph, fast was 7.1 mph. About 1 minute on/off. I feel like I could run faster once i get more comfortable on the treadmill.

Weight was 209.7 this morning which was new goal for March so I guess I hit that one too. I think it will be only a few weeks before I break 34 minutes on my 5k so I need to do a 2000m on the C2 to see where I stand there. I haven't been rowing a lot but my cardio in general is definitely better so we'll see how much carryover there is.

Thurs Feb 8, 2018

Conditioning
Walked on the treadmill for 5 minutes to warm-up and then ran 5k in 34:12. Average HR was 138. I started at a faster pace but had to slow down a bit to keep my HR under 140. Breaking 34 minutes is close. The good news is that I feel.a lot better when I'm done compared to before Xmas.

Weight this morning was 208.3. woo!

Sun Feb 11, 2018

Hockey
We played the last place team today. We expected it to be an easy game but we tock this team lightly earlier in the season and ended up losing 4-3. So we came out hard in this game and ended up blowing them out. We were up 5-1 by the end of the first period and the final score was 10-4 I think.

I had a good game with 1 goal, 2 assists. Since it was an easy game I was able to try out some dekes and get lots of time with the puck. Conditioning-wise I feel good but my hands are still a bit rusty.

Next weekend is a long weekend and then the next week is probably my last game of the regular season due to a family stuff. So I'll probably have 2 weeks off before the playoffs which kinda sucks since I'm starting to feel more like my old self on the ice.

Mon Feb 12, 2018

Conditioning

20 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the elliptical. Legs were the bottleneck today as my average HR was only 122 but legs were heavy.

Weight was 207.7 this morning but I figured I was kinda dehydrated so checked again after breakfast and it was 209.7 which seems more correct.

Tues Feb 13, 2018

Conditioning

Walked for 5 minutes and then did 20 minutes of walk/run intervals. Did a few 30 seconds on, 60 seconds off to get fully warmed.up and then did 60 on, 60 off. I would have done 30 minutes but had to get to a meeting.

Average HR was 128. It alternated between about 150 and 120 during the intervals.

Wed Feb 14, 2018

Conditioning

Walked for 5 minutes and then ran 5k in 33:54, finally breaking 34 minutes! Average HR was 138, peak was 158. Now I just have to get on the C2 to hit my 3rd goal of the Winter., 2000m in 8:00 or less. I have 6 weeks to do it.

Weight this morning was 207.3!

Fri Feb 16, 2018

Conditioning

Walked on the treadmill and did a few minutes of light rowing. Then did 2000m on the C2 in 8:44. Then did 8 intervals, 0:30 on, 0:45 off. The 2000m was actually slower than the benchmark I set in December. I don't think I warmed up enough because my arms were burning even though my cardio felt okay. My arms felt a lot better during the intervals. Really it's too be expected since I haven't rowed much in the last two months plus I haven't been lifting at all some my upper body is probably weaker. Anyway, I've got 6 weeks to chop off 45 seconds.

Weight this morning was 208.6 which is pretty good considering I've eaten a lot of junk over the last two days. I seem to have settled in consistently under 210 lb. Now to get back to consistent good eating and get down to 205!

Tues Feb 20, 2018

Conditioning

This weekend was the Family Day long weekend so I didn't have hockey on Sunday and had an extra day off yesterday. Thus I felt pretty fresh today so decided I do a 5k. Walked for 5 minutes and then ran 5k in 33:39, a new PR. Woot. My average HR was 132 which was lower than last week. That makes sense since last week week's 5k was the last day of 4 days straight of conditioning (including hockey).

Weight this morning was 207.0 on the dot. My pants are feeling loose these days which is kinda annoying because I bought two new pairs of jeans right before Xmas but also not annoying because I've lost 16 goddamn pounds in just under 7 weeks! The weight loss has definitely slowed in the last couple weeks which is to be expected. I'm hoping I can settle into 1-2 lb every couple weeks. I feel good and am obviously getting in better shape cardio-wise so it's not affecting me in that way. I might feel differently when I start lifting again but that's not for another five and a half weeks.

Hey guess what?? I did more conditioning today!

Wed Feb 21, 2018

Conditioning

Warmed up on the treadmil and C2 then did intervals on the C2. 1 minute on, 1 minute off. Hitting a minimum of 250m per interval. Did 8 intervals because it was close to end of the day otherwise I would have done 10-12.

Sun Feb 25, 2018

Hockey

The team we were playing was bumped down to our division just before Xmas. Since then they had only lost one game so we expected a tough game.

Things were pretty even early on as the first period ended 0-0. In the second things started to open up. They scored first but we quickly answer back to make it 2-1 and the momentum started to swing our way.

In the third the other team seemed to get tired or just lose motivation after their goalie let in a bad goal. At that point it was 4-2 and we dominated the rest of the game, easily winning 5-2.

Our opponents got pretty frustrated in the third period and took a tonne of penalties which didn't do them any favours.

I finished with two goals. This was last game of the regular season that I can play so I will finish the season with 6G, 12A for 18 points in 15 games. I in terms of points/game it's a bit lower than my best seasons but is pretty much around average for the 8 years that I've been playing as an adult. The biggest difference with my current team is that we have scoring threats so I'm getting more assists and are less relied.on to produce goals. We are a more consistent team than the other two that I've played on.

Tues Feb 27, 2018

Conditioning

Walked for 5 minutes and then ran 5k in 33:06. Average HR was 132. My left ankle started to hurt a bit right at the end so for the rest of the week I'll probably stick to the C2 and elliptical, just in case. Weight was 206.1 this morning, almost at goal #3!

Back