Beamdog confirms that a new Baldur's Gate game is in the works

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
"This year, the eagerly anticipated Adventure Y will finally navigate the dark underground caverns of development and venture out into the Sword Coast," the studio wrote on its Beamblog. "We

We did....It's called Dragons Age.

That or Divinity Original Sin.

;)

Yay!

I wonder which version of D&D they are going to use. 3.5 was pretty good. I've never used 4th ed though but heard it really changed things around and wasn't as good.

Yay!

I wonder which version of D&D they are going to use. 3.5 was pretty good. I've never used 4th ed though but heard it really changed things around and wasn't as good.

Probably just 2nd, so you can play the whole way through bg 1 and 2 with the same charcter

Yay!

4th was just a glorified video game in tabletop form. I didn't mind it other than it homogenized all the classes in a way. But using it for a video game would just be redundant. Video games already use tons of skills with cooldown or whatever.

5th is more clearly related to 3 or 3.5. But it replaces non stop plus or minus modifiers with debates with the GM. Things don't get +5 or -3 or whatever, instead if a roll is advantaged then you just roll two die and take the higher roll, it's the opposite with disadvantage. And anything can be given that effect depending on the situation. It works fine, if very simple, but it's better suited for actual role playing with people. A computer can easily handle the math behind the scenes so why bother with it.

I hope the new BG uses 3.5 since u feel that engine is better than 2nd but either works better than 4 or 5.

Yay, a Baldur's Gate title from someone who doesn't know how Bhaal is spelled.

4th was just a glorified video game in tabletop form. I didn't mind it other than it homogenized all the classes in a way. But using it for a video game would just be redundant. Video games already use tons of skills with cooldown or whatever.

5th is more clearly related to 3 or 3.5. But it replaces non stop plus or minus modifiers with debates with the GM. Things don't get +5 or -3 or whatever, instead if a roll is advantaged then you just roll two die and take the higher roll, it's the opposite with disadvantage. And anything can be given that effect depending on the situation. It works fine, if very simple, but it's better suited for actual role playing with people. A computer can easily handle the math behind the scenes so why bother with it.

I hope the new BG uses 3.5 since u feel that engine is better than 2nd but either works better than 4 or 5.

Ah nice. I didn't know there was a 5th ed as no games have that and I haven't played D&D in about 10 years. Based on that I agree even more so that 3.5 would work the best. 2nd ed seems really meh as far as skills and feats go and may not be as user friendly. I don't think they want to have to explain THAC0 or the fact that a negative armor class is better either.

Will hopefully be 3.5 ed rules. I have taken a deep look at 5th edition though. Didn't like the way 4th seemed to make things. I say seemed as its pushing 10 years since I played.

I'm gm'ing a 5th campaign right now. It's the same group I've been playing with for over 15 years. We are married and have kids and jobs but we still find time to play. The only major difference from high school is the quality of the snacks and the alcohol content of our drinks.

Cool, but I will refrain from getting too excited. I't s going to be using the infinity engine and take place between BG 1 and BG 2. So honestly it sounds like they're basically releasing an expansion pack for a 15 year old game. An AWESOME 15 year old game, and I will play it. But I'm just gonna call it like I see it.

sweet ill have something to play after pillars of eternity what im pumped for.

I'm a little confused. The story will take place between 1 and 2? Will it use the infinity engine?

I would rather they just left the Bhaalspawn saga alone and just create something new in Forgotten Realms.

I'm a little confused. The story will take place between 1 and 2? Will it use the infinity engine?

I would rather they just left the Bhaalspawn saga alone and just create something new in Forgotten Realms.

Yeah, they said it would use the infinity engine. So it tempers my enthusiasm a bit. Like I said earlier, it sounds like it'll essentially be an expansion pack for Baldurs Gate.

Would love to see the BG & IWD games ported to the PS3. Ain't gonna happen, I know, but a guy can dream.

It'd be great to play this new version, but I can't bring myself to game on a pc since the unfinished debacle that was TOEE.

Beamdog hasn't got the talent to make a worthy successor.

Yeah, they said it would use the infinity engine. So it tempers my enthusiasm a bit. Like I said earlier, it sounds like it'll essentially be an expansion pack for Baldurs Gate.

oh god, not that engine...

Back