Be careful of what you wish for...

CobraRacer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I don't claim to be a sports expert, however one thing I do know is that the way Major League Baseball dealt with the PED issues helped destroy almost every record they have.

My opinion of the Mark Hunt situation is that he clearly has a point about a level playing field in MMA. That being said, he clearly knew what he was up against with Brock Lesnar and not only accepted the fight and cashed the check but said he was going to knock Lesnar out.

It is clear that there needs to be continued progress in the PED issues in all sports, however the concern I have with the Mark Hunt situation is that his continued attacks in the media are already having the effect on Sherdog where there are endless discussions on basically erasing (not officially) wins from fighters in the past due to being caught even once or allegations of using PED's because of someone's size where they "must have been on steroids".

Like baseball if we continue down this road and the mainstream media decides to make this a central issue, almost every fighter will have some sort of asterisk next to their name for cheating due to eye pokes, grabbing the fence, PED offenses (even when they are proven to be a one time offense, like a cold medicine with a mystery ingredient that is on the ever growing list of PED infractions), going back to the early days of the UFC where GI's should have never been allowed or fights against too large of an opponent's shouldn't have been allowed and almost every fighter in Pride was on steroids, so most of their wins should not be allowed.

We will always have our opinions as to what we think a eye gouge, kick to the groin or even PED's have on a outcome of a match. Clearly PED enforcement needs to be improved, however if people like Mark Hunt continue to cry to the media non-stop about the "rigged" world of MMA and we continue on Sherdog to basically wipe most wins from certain fighters than the sport and most of it's records will be forever tainted because you can go on forever giving reasons to hypothetically take away a win from someone.

Wouldn't it be better for the sport if we just continued to say that more work needs to be done to level the playing field and continue to make progress there? If we continue down this road than MMA will be held in the same regards as boxing and the so-called baseball steroids era.

Last edited:
cliffs-of-moher.jpg

Cliffs? Not reading thru all that man. Sorry.

Thought it was gonna be a GSP hate thread. Leaving surprised.

And I still want all clean fighters.

I Wish For a Milllion+ Dollars!

Mark Hunt has an argument. He spoke out before the fight about Brock being allowed exceptions other fighters weren't getting. Just because he took the fight doesn't mean he has to be ok with it being proven that Brock was juicing.

It isn't on the fighters to be quiet and stop complaining about juiced opponents. In this sport more than any other a level playing field can be the difference between a win and permanent damage. It's on the UFC to enforce the program it already has in place.

Basically "everyone was on steroids. Deal with it and move on. Lets not smear our heroes from the past"

That's a pretty good summation. If you choose to clean up a sport it gets ugly for a while.

You lost me at "I don't claim to be a sports expert", TS

I come to Sherdog to read sports experts opinions only.

cliffs-of-moher.jpg

Cliffs? Not reading thru all that man. Sorry.

I want to make clear that everyone can always have an opinion of what they think a eye gouge, kick to the groin or even PED's have on a outcome of a match. Clearly PED enforcement needs to be improved, however if people like Mark Hunt continue to cry to the media non-stop about the "rigged" world of MMA and we continue on Sherdog to basically wipe most wins from certain fighters than the sport and most of it's records will be forever tainted because you can go on forever giving reasons to hypothetically take away a win from someone, but wouldn't it be better for the sport if we just continued to say that more work needs to be done to level the playing field and continue to make progress there? If we continue down this road than MMA will be held in the same regards as boxing and the so-called baseball steroids era.

I think that's the tl;dr

I don't claim to be a sports expert, however one thing I do know is that the way Major League Baseball dealt with the PED issues helped destroy almost every record they have.

My opinion of the Mark Hunt situation is that he clearly has a point about a level playing field in MMA. That being said, he clearly knew what he was up against with Brock Lesnar and not only accepted the fight and cashed the check but said he was going to knock Lesnar out.

It is clear that there needs to be continued progress in the PED issues in all sports, however the concern I have with the Mark Hunt situation is that his continued attacks in the media are already having the effect on Sherdog where there are endless discussions on basically erasing (not officially) wins from fighters in the past due to being caught even once or allegations of using PED's because of someone's size where they "must have been on steroids".

Like baseball if we continue down this road and the mainstream media decides to make this a central issue, almost every fighter will have some sort of asterisk next to their name for cheating with too many eye pokes, grabbing the fence too many times, PED offenses (even when they are proven to be a one time offense where it was something like a cold medicine with a mystery ingredient that is on the ever growing list of PED infractions), going back to the early days of the UFC where GI's should have never been allowed, fights against too large of an opponent's shouldn't have been allowed and almost every fighter in Pride was on steroids, so most of their wins should not be allowed.

I want to make clear that everyone can always have an opinion of what they think a eye gouge, kick to the groin or even PED's have on a outcome of a match. Clearly PED enforcement needs to be improved, however if people like Mark Hunt continue to cry to the media non-stop about the "rigged" world of MMA and we continue on Sherdog to basically wipe most wins from certain fighters than the sport and most of it's records will be forever tainted because you can go on forever giving reasons to hypothetically take away a win from someone.

Wouldn't it be better for the sport if we just continued to say that more work needs to be done to level the playing field and continue to make progress there? If we continue down this road than MMA will be held in the same regards as boxing and the so-called baseball steroids era.
ill-tell-you.gif

Just let the fighters become science experiments already. It's 2016. We should have had flying cars by now.

I don't think entertainment should justify cheating. Make a separate sport for that. All mma fighters can juice with no punishment, and it's advertised. That's the difference. I doubt there would be more viewers for the juicer's league than clean mma. You may think so, but to go in and it be thrown in your face that these are artificial guys would be a turn off.

So, what are you saying here?

Back