BCAA's, are they a vital supplement?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by bragglefraggle, May 15, 2014.

1. bragglefraggle Purple Belt

I just started my Stronglifts5x5 routine, and have been taking my protein powder, and also creatine. However after a few days I have been experiencing some soreness in my legs that kinda fucks with my cardio in between rest days. So I went to GNC and asked what they recommended besides rest, hot baths, etc. And the guy said BCAA powder.

Is getting a good BCAA supplement worth the price? And what else would it help with besides soreness(if it even does).

Thanks

2. Patrick F Carey Green Belt

not really worth it

3. Tosa Red Belt

You might notice a difference if there isn't enough high quality protein in your diet. But if that's the case, you should fix your diet.

4. bragglefraggle Purple Belt

Doing a low carb diet, so it's mostly chicken, steak, beef, leafy greens, etc.

5. Gfreak Purple Belt

If you're getting enough red meat it probably isn't going to change too much.

Try just drinking more water, or some juice even.

6. bragglefraggle Purple Belt

I probably don't drink as much water as I should, and I would drink juice but I'm trying to keep my carb intake under 40g a day

7. Tosa Red Belt

Well if you're dieting, doing SL 5x5 and conditioning, some soreness isn't surprising. You can either suck-up the soreness and train through it, or diet less aggressively and allow yourself more carbs before and after training.

8. bragglefraggle Purple Belt

I'll probably suck it up. I will take soreness over fatness

9. bragglefraggle Purple Belt

Just realized this is the wrong forum, sorry. Thanks for the responses though

10. Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Outside of steroids, there are no supplements or foods that will eliminate soreness. Even AAS will not completely get rid of soreness.

11. Fedorgasm Silver Belt

Read a study a while back that concluded that nothing helps soreness. Not even stretching or massage. Those things feel good and are good for you, but will not make the soreness go away any faster.

The only cure is to keep lifting. Soreness is usually only a problem in the beginning. After a week or two you'll either never get sore, or only get a little sore occasionally, like when you increase the weight of your lifts.

12. Genghiz Blue Belt

I think BCAAs are a waste of time. There's studies indicating that they lower serotonin, which is bad if you're depression or anxiety prone.
    There's another study saying that BCAAs not only lower serotonin, but they lower catecholamine levels (dopamine, noradrenalin, all that fight and flight good stuff) which negates any beneficial mental training effect.
    The study ends by recommending that athletes take tyrosine WITH their BCAAs if they're going to use them. Tyrosine is a catecholamine precursor.
    So why bother with the BCAAs in the first place. A good pwo protein or eating meat will give you what you need.
    If you want to see the studies, go to pubmed or google 'BCAAs catecholamines'.

G

13. ManiacTroll Brown Belt

Have been taking them for something like 2 weeks. Didnt really notice a huge difference, but will empty the tub and see how it goes.

14. grndzro Purple Belt

You are taking too much protein for the BCAA's to have any effect. Whey has a lot of BCAA.

15. Pope Leo VII Green Belt

BCAA's are worth every penny, notice a difference during my workouts when I suck down some XTEND compared to just water.

If you are sore, eat more. SS and Running on a diet with less then 40g of carbs sounds like a recipe for disaster. I cant see this lasting more then a week or two.

16. Diablo Ryu** Brown Belt

Placebo effect running rampant in this thread

17. Synapse Blue Belt

For the MS part of DOMS, the currently held theory is that soreness comes from microtrauama primarily caused by the eccentric portion of lifts. It's been shown through a large body of studies that the eccentric portion, (the lowering portion of a squat/bench for example) causes far more DOMS than the concentric (or pressing half) portion.

This holds water from a physiological standpoint, as the actin/myosin bonds are essentially being wrenched on when you lower a weight under tension. Try linking your fingers in a S grip and pulling apart as hard as you can - the pain in your fingers is a bit like what's going on in the actin/myosin bonds in your muscles.

The DO part of DOMS is still a mystery. The currently held theory is that there's a delay in from when the biomarkers of that microtrauma manifest, to when the body actually notices them. Once that happens, macro****es flood in, cytokines mark the tissue for repair, and the whole satellite cell activation inflammation/healing business does it's things.

To the same end, it is no more possible to speed this process up than it is to speed up healing a gash on your leg. If there is an ABSENCE of materials or workers (nutrition, immune system components) then the whole deal will be slowed, but apart from ensuring there are no deficiencies/unnecessary stressors on the immune system (a whole other topic) there's nothing else you can do.

Probably way more than anyone wanted, but there it is. If anyone's interested, there's more on my blog: http://corpuscompendium.blogspot.com/2013/05/maximizing-hypertrophy-muscle-growth.html

18. hardheart Brown Belt

This is technically accurate.

BCAAs during my workouts have dramatically decreased my DOMS in frequency, duration, and intensity. My diet has plenty of "quality" protein, whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.

There is no cure to soreness, but there are things you can do to minimize it. BCAAs during your workout is one of them. YMMV, but for me, there are few supplements that provide their effect to $ in as high of a positive ratio as BCAAs for me.

Remember, in the 90s there were more people saying creatine was "worthless" and "junk" and even I was one of those people. 20+ more years of science has pretty much proven all of those statements ignorant and irrelevant. Once BCAAs have had the research done on them creatine has, we can have real scientific verdict. The absence of evidence yadda yadda

Until then, you'll have to try them and see if they work for you.

19. August West Brown Belt

Like someone above pointed out, most whey protein powders have a ton of BCAAs in them.

That being the case, is there a point to supplementing BCAAs above and beyond what one receives in their whey?

20. JRT6 Black Belt

I swear by this stuff:

http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/