BBQ Sauce request for help (arguably an emergency), plus why not talk about BBQ?

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey BBQ sauce people!

I'm looking to find a go-to BBQ sauce that I can find on the Internet or possibly at a store with the following properties:

(I will make comparisons based off of Sweet Baby Ray's [SBR] so that everybody will know what I'm rambling on about)

Not "sweet" - A little sweetness is fine obviously, but not like SBR. Molasses and a touch of brown sugar is plenty sweet. Going for savory primarily.

Thick, solid, tight, dark - Nothing on the loose side, the thickness of SBR is good. I want to be able to slap it on some ribs and not come back to a puddle like most of the stuff you find around STL.

Ancho = bueno, but negotiable.

A little smokey is fine - I don't want to taste any damn liquid smoke though. SBR is reasonable on smokiness, kinda, but not really. I think it's a phony.

Heat is negotiable - Good dijon mustard level is okay, not looking for a mouth burner though. SBR is not spicy enough, obv.

Tang is not what I'm looking for (u can say that again u cuk luls) - Nothing really sweet, nothing really tangy. You might could hang w/a titmouse worth of red wine vinegar but I'm warning you, be careful, this is a subtle game.

Exist such a beast? Tell!

Also whatever BBQ talk ++good because oh yeah.

Last edited:
I'd just go for ketchup, especially if it's a well done steak you are eating.

I'd just go for ketchup, especially if it's a well done steak you are eating.
If you have a moment, I'd like to tell you about the exciting culinary career opportunities we have here at Denny's.

If you have a moment, I'd like to tell you about the exciting culinary career opportunities we have here at Denny's.

Ok i will consider as long as i get 1 free well done steak and unlimited ketchup per shift.

Ok i will consider as long as i get 1 free well done steak and unlimited ketchup per shift.
Holy shit we have unlimited ketchup?! I just slid my 2 weeks' notice under the boss' door. I'd better get that wire coat hanger back from my mother so I can fish that baby out of there. Thread may be upgraded to "emergency."

Sounds like you like Sweet Baby Rays just fine

Sounds like you like Sweet Baby Rays just fine
This makes me want to strangle somebody. When Ray grows up he's a goner.

I tolerate SBR and that's only because I don't know anything about BBQ. It's time to move on from the too-sweetness and the fake not quite smokiness.

Sweet Baby Ray's is barely even Destro with a head cold. I want full-throated Cobra Commander, or even Serpentor. Whichever is less sweet. Maybe some sort of cobra-venom infusion? I'm desperate here.

My wife makes the absolute best shit hands down. If you make it once, you’ll be done with store bought

@Da Speeit level me up culinary bro this is like I can't find the tutorial exit on Everquest or whatever.

This makes me want to strangle somebody. When Ray grows up he's a goner.

I tolerate SBR and that's only because I don't know anything about BBQ. It's time to move on from the too-sweetness and the fake not quite smokiness.

Sweet Baby Ray's is barely even Destro with a head cold. I want full-throated Cobra Commander, or even Serpentor. Whichever is less sweet. Maybe some sort of cobra-venom infusion? I'm desperate here.
Why not learn how to make your own? It aint that hard if you know what to buy then you can add what you like. It might even be as good as Sweet Baby Rays.

Why not learn how to make your own? It aint that hard if you know what to buy then you can add what you like. It might even be as good as Sweet Baby Rays.
Ooh que la chingada, ay wey I exhaust my Spanish on thee.

I have made it before and that's fine, I'll keep at it. I want something I can grab a few bottles of to keep around.

Not much of a bbq sauce bro.
Love bbq, but sauce ain’t a priority yet.

I dig Q39 Zesty Sauce as my favorite. It’s a Kansas City bbq favorite. Their bbq meat in general is one of my favorites in the US.

Strictly sauce wise, 2nd would be Mighty Quinn’s though, bbq meat wise than the brisket everything else meat wise seems overrated at Mighty Quinn’s.
But since I currently live in Makati PH 8 months of the year, if I want good mild Texas like bbq smoked brisket, gonna be Quinn’s.

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to make my own so I usually get a sweet, a smokey, and a spicy and mix them together with a shitload of Montreal steak seasoning and thin it out a little with some white vinegar, shake it well and refrigerate it for awhile. It goes over great.

I run a BBQ food truck and used to make my own sauces, but it's fucking time consuming as all hell. So I spent a month or so testing out different sauces and Cattleman's brand sauces were the clear cut winners. No HFCS which is a plus. My customers have heavily gravitated towards the Memphis Sweet and that's what I use on my ribs for a light glaze.

It says sweet but it's not overly sweet, not much tang, not a lot of heat, and instead it's a well balanced sauce that is fantastic on just about everything.
Their Tangy Gold is great as well (South Carolina Mustard Sauce) and even though it says Tangy, again, it's very balanced and it's a close 2nd. I also love their Kansas City sauce, but I think it has too much tomato for my personal taste.

If you want to kick it up a bit you can always try some Blues Hog sauces. Their original is pretty sweet, but the Smokey Mountain Sauce is very good and has a bit of smoke to even things out.

As for slapping sauce on ribs as long as you keep it really light you shouldn't have a problem. I did 24 racks of ribs for lunch service the other day and used maybe 6 ounces of sauce total...perfectly light glaze with a mahogany sheen...people go batshit crazy for my spare ribs.

Side Note : I've actually met "Sweet Baby Raymond" and he's a hell of a nice guy. He spent a few hours talking to some of us start-up guys at a BBQ conference a few years ago. Personally I fucking hate their sauce as it's HFCS based and the taste is pretty abrasive.

Hey BBQ sauce people!

I'm looking to find a go-to BBQ sauce that I can find on the Internet or possibly at a store with the following properties:

(I will make comparisons based off of Sweet Baby Ray's [SBR] so that everybody will know what I'm rambling on about)

Not "sweet" - A little sweetness is fine obviously, but not like SBR. Molasses and a touch of brown sugar is plenty sweet. Going for savory primarily.

Thick, solid, tight, dark - Nothing on the loose side, the thickness of SBR is good. I want to be able to slap it on some ribs and not come back to a puddle like most of the stuff you find around STL.

Ancho = bueno, but negotiable.

A little smokey is fine - I don't want to taste any damn liquid smoke though. SBR is reasonable on smokiness, kinda, but not really. I think it's a phony.

Heat is negotiable - Good dijon mustard level is okay, not looking for a mouth burner though. SBR is not spicy enough, obv.

Tang is not what I'm looking for (u can say that again u cuk luls) - Nothing really sweet, nothing really tangy. You might could hang w/a titmouse worth of red wine vinegar but I'm warning you, be careful, this is a subtle game.

Exist such a beast? Tell!

Also whatever BBQ talk ++good because oh yeah.

Famous Dave's BBQ sauces are good from what I remember. You might be able to get it at your local Wal Mart.

Cattle Boyz is my go to if I'm using store bought. It fits your criteria outside of spicy level. It's not really spicy at all.

0062803910001.jpg

It's from Western Canada though, so not sure how easy it is to get in the US. Found it on amazon. It's the best store bought stuff I've ever had. Not overly sweet like Baby Rays.

I usually make my own with "wing sauce" as a starting point.

Specifically Griffin's Buffalo Wing Sauce:

images

Back