BBC journalist exposed in 2015 how easy it was to beat EPO tests

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-32983932

cliffs:

- BBC Journalist, who happens to be a cyclist, injects himself with EPO(bought online from a chinese website) for 14 weeks
- Sends 14 samples to an anonymous, accredited World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) scientist with access to the blood passport software
- Passes all tests

I was now into week 11, the "washout" phase. I was still training but I had stopped taking EPO.

This is the point that real cheats should be most worried because the body wants to reset its blood values to normal, which, if it happens too quickly, can cause a spike in the OFF score, or a dip in the reticulocyte count.

That can trigger a red flag in the biological passport.

I had my blood samples taken as normal, always trying to stay as close to Wada's rules about the samples being analysed within 36 hours.

I sent away 14 samples taken over 14 weeks to my confidential anti-doping source, and these numbers were run through the passport software.

Even though I was half-expecting it, I was still shocked when the result came through. I had passed.

Despite taking EPO for seven weeks, seeing steady rises in my haemoglobin and haematocrit counts, and gaining a significant performance benefit, I was clean.

I am not able to publish the results because I need to protect my source, and I also do not want to reveal anything that could help others cheat, so I went back to Professor Lundby who helped interpret them for me.

He said he could see "traces" of what I had done but "not of a sufficient magnitude to elicit an adverse analytical finding" in the passport.

"There is no evidence that you have injected yourself with EPO," said Lundby.

"If you were an athlete, you would have gotten away with it."

You are only getting caught if you screw up like TJ. Fact is, EPO runs rampant in MMA and it is not that difficult to get and pass drug tests

Well there goes the “trace amounts” argument.

Trace amounts may not be enough to incriminate someone but they are definitely not indicative of someone not using

Good post my man.

Dawg do you realize how long ago 2015 was? After GSP put the steroid epidemic on blast, and they were forced to bring in USADA, there was a huge wave of people getting caught. Signifying shit has changed.

Also, when they drug test you these days (prob dating back to at least 2016), they physically stand there and watch you piss. You're not sending no cups of piss in the mail.

It's just another reason why they should just get rid of USADA altogether...

It was an experiment. It didn't work. Let it go.

LOL do you realize it is a BLOOD test? What the fuck are you talking about piss? If you actually read the article you'd realize that he took blood samples once a week and sent it in the mail.

Also GSP was a 5'10 190 lbs wrestler going hard for 5 rounds, only naive people believe he was clean, clear case of the traditional testerosterone/hGH/EPO stack
Dude wtf are you talking about? The entire point of my post was that things have changed. Did you actually read my post or did you just get triggered because you heard some opposition?

Also, I've concluded that anyone who accuses GSP as a PED cheat is just a fat, lazy fucking bum, who's never played a sport in their life. Dude has been the #1 advocate for USADA for the longest time. YESSSSS it must be because he's the biggest drug cheat of all timeeeee! It's the perfect crime!

Take off that fucking tinfoil hat bro.

Does the journalist know for sure what he bought from the Chinese Online store was actual EPO? I am not doubting the test can be beat but I am just curious. If it confirms it somewhere in the article I apologize as I just read the cliffs.

Does the journalist know for sure what he bought from the Chinese Online store was actual EPO? I am not doubting the test can be beat but I am just curious. If it confirms it somewhere in the article I apologize as I just read the cliffs.
Yep, he had it sent to a lab to confirm it was EPO

Dawg do you realize how long ago 2015 was? After GSP put the steroid epidemic on blast, and they were forced to bring in USADA, there was a huge wave of people getting caught. Signifying shit has changed.

Also, when they drug test you these days (prob dating back to at least 2016), they physically stand there and watch you piss. You're not sending no cups of piss in the mail.
TJ Dillashaw is the only one busted for EPO. And he got busted when he made an insane weight cut and dehydrated himself badly. I have to think that's at least part of the reason why he got busted

LOL do you realize it is a BLOOD test? What the fuck are you talking about piss? If you actually read the article you'd realize that he took blood samples once a week and sent it in the mail.

Also GSP was a 5'10 190 lbs wrestler going hard for 5 rounds, only naive people believe he was clean, clear case of the traditional testerosterone/hGH/EPO stack
Georges gassed hard in his only fight under USADA vs 39 year old retirement home Ping

Suspect to say the least

xUSUSM5.png

Another Sherbro already pointed out that the substance was tested beforehand, but man did I laugh when I considered the scenario of the guy getting cheated on while trying to prove that cheating is easy

Georges gassed hard in his only fight under USADA vs 39 year old retirement home Ping

Suspect to say the least
Georges should be called the godfather of stricted drug testing in MMA as he was the first one to advocate and utilize it.
Unlike some cheaters who were sticking syringes in their asses , While failing multiple tests.
We should appreciate clean fighters like GSP , Colby , Stipe , Cruz etc more.

Dude wtf are you talking about? The entire point of my post was that things have changed. Did you actually read my post or did you just get triggered because you heard some opposition?

Also, I've concluded that anyone who accuses GSP as a PED cheat is just a fat, lazy fucking bum, who's never played a sport in their life. Dude has been the #1 advocate for USADA for the longest time. YESSSSS it must be because he's the biggest drug cheat of all timeeeee! It's the perfect crime!

Take off that fucking tinfoil hat bro.
This guy has the intelligence of a potato

Drugs are incredibly smartly designed. Just wait until we get to nanomachine style drugs that act like software.
I remember that really interesting Joe Rogan/GSP discussion on his podcast, and GSP discussed the drug issue and the state of the science. GSP said that sports will be destroyed for most people in the next decades as gene manipulation means that we'll essentially have people bred for sports and nothing else, meaning the people that don't have this genetic manipulation at birth won't even consider competing in sports as the performance differential would be too big to overcome. Now its all happening naturally but its nature & life deciding who competes. In the future sports it will be decided in a test tube long before.

And that probably goes along with many other fields like military, scientists, etc.
People will be bred with a specific purpose in society. Its the ultimate capitalist vision of using comparative advantage.

In the old days of the Colosseum, Romans brought German & Slavic slaves to make for good gladiators. Africans too. The modern version will be designer test tube babies.

Georges should be called the godfather of stricted drug testing in MMA as he was the first one to advocate and utilize it.
Unlike some cheaters who were sticking syringes in their asses , While failing multiple tests.
We should appreciate clean fighters like GSP , Colby , Stipe , Cruz etc more.
Georges is about as Natty as PVZ’s chest

Georges is about as Natty as PVZ’s chest

Innocent until caught.
And even if I agree with you, it doesn't mean that GSP has not done enormous things to advance drug testing in the sport. Hell, GSP has done more to legitimise MMA than any other fighter in history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-32983932

cliffs:

- BBC Journalist, who happens to be a cyclist, injects himself with EPO(bought online from a chinese website) for 14 weeks
- Sends 14 samples to an anonymous, accredited World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) scientist with access to the blood passport software
- Passes all tests

I was now into week 11, the "washout" phase. I was still training but I had stopped taking EPO.

This is the point that real cheats should be most worried because the body wants to reset its blood values to normal, which, if it happens too quickly, can cause a spike in the OFF score, or a dip in the reticulocyte count.

That can trigger a red flag in the biological passport.

I had my blood samples taken as normal, always trying to stay as close to Wada's rules about the samples being analysed within 36 hours.

I sent away 14 samples taken over 14 weeks to my confidential anti-doping source, and these numbers were run through the passport software.

Even though I was half-expecting it, I was still shocked when the result came through. I had passed.

Despite taking EPO for seven weeks, seeing steady rises in my haemoglobin and haematocrit counts, and gaining a significant performance benefit, I was clean.

I am not able to publish the results because I need to protect my source, and I also do not want to reveal anything that could help others cheat, so I went back to Professor Lundby who helped interpret them for me.

He said he could see "traces" of what I had done but "not of a sufficient magnitude to elicit an adverse analytical finding" in the passport.

"There is no evidence that you have injected yourself with EPO," said Lundby.

"If you were an athlete, you would have gotten away with it."

You are only getting caught if you screw up like TJ. Fact is, EPO runs rampant in MMA and it is not that difficult to get and pass drug tests
Wow, didn't expect it to be this easy, a novice at epo/drug testing and he passes all of them?! Good find @20falarVerdades

Back