Battletech/mechwarrior turnbase game: if you like Xcom then check this out

I take all the lasers off and add missiles and acs. Maybe leave on some PPCs or add a medium laser if I don’t need the ammo.

Problem with that is that missiles and acs need ammo bins. And critical hit to one makes them explode.

I have a mech that has lot of lasers and it almost gets overheated on one round if all weapons are fired at once.

It is however piloted by a guy with sensor lock ability, so he can spend his turn to position his mech and get evasion points and use sensor lock to either reveal long range targets or remove evasion points from enemies while cooling down.

Problem with that is that missiles and acs need ammo bins. And critical hit to one makes them explode.

I have a mech that has lot of lasers and it almost gets overheated on one round if all weapons are fired at once.

It is however piloted by a guy with sensor lock ability, so he can spend his turn to position his mech and get evasion points and use sensor lock to either reveal long range targets or remove evasion points from enemies while cooling down.

I’ve had maybe one ammo explosion.

My best mech design now is probably my Centurion CN9-A with AC/10++ and 10 SRMs in 3 pods. Lots of armor, max jump jets, reasonable heat management. Can get off 2 or 3 alpha strikes without needing a break on most maps.

I made my Dragon more useful by stripping down weapons and maxing front armor. Now it has an AC/5, two medium and two small lasers. I just use him to draw fire and punch mechs. With 200 ct armor he can get pushed over and still get up with tons of armor left.

Last edited:

I put my ammo bins in my legs. If your legs are getting critted you have bigger problems anyway.

I put my ammo bins in my legs. If your legs are getting critted you have bigger problems anyway.

Getting knocked over by missile bursts is the major killer once you reach heavy/assault mechs.

Put your ammo bins on arms. Don’t put them on CT. I would also avoid legs because you can get one shot there.

To be more precise I have had one deadly ammo explosion ever. Haven’t seen it too much with my enemies.

Getting knocked over by missile bursts is the major killer once you reach heavy/assault mechs.

Put your ammo bins on arms. Don’t put them on CT. I would also avoid legs because you can get one shot there.

To be more precise I have had one deadly ammo explosion ever. Haven’t seen it too much with my enemies.
I see them happen pretty regularly, but I fish for them with +crit weapons. It's a great way to cause pilot-killing crits without a big risk of coring the mech.

I'm going to try skirmish later. I'm thinking that will change some meta-ideas here.

You get knocked over by missile burts that don't even touch your legs. Getting knocked over is a result of consecutive hits. You only fall over from leg damage if the leg is totally destroyed and the AI rarely pulls that off on me.

IMO, it's easier to use terrain to cover your legs and still be able to shoot than the other way around. The AI almost never targets legs unless you're already knocked over and even then it's because they're doing called shots on your CT from an angle your legs block. I save armor weight on my legs, use DFA when necessary, and still rarely actually lose a leg.

I constantly lose arms, even when I max their armor. They're just more likely to take shots especially in the majority of situations when non-called shots are being used. Last story mission I had two mechs lose an arm, one fully armored heavy mech arm with 100 armor, no one lost a leg. The AI is surprisingly good at picking one of your mechs and hitting the same flank over and over which translates to tons of arm/side torso damage.

Last edited:
<PlusJuan>
I came in to say this!
So far, I don't have many complaints. The AI can be ruthless when a mech of yours is vulnerable, but I guess that is the idea. Losing a pilot hurts just the right amount. I will say that as someone who doesn't care about the source material, some of the Mech designs are fairly lame. I would love a game in this style with a more X-Com like combat system and cooler mechs, but customization of some sort seems high on their list.

So far, I don't have many complaints. The AI can be ruthless when a mech of yours is vulnerable, but I guess that is the idea. Losing a pilot hurts just the right amount. I will say that as someone who doesn't care about the source material, some of the Mech designs are fairly lame. I would love a game in this style with a more X-Com like combat system and cooler mechs, but customization of some sort seems high on their list.
My main reason for not getting into mech games earlier was that the designs all looked a bit meh, and given how many mech games there has been it's still surprising to me when these games have serious limitations to the customization of them. I think the game mechanics are what they struggle with and that imposes those restrictions. It's ridiculous that we can have customizable cars like in Gran Turismo (for stats) or some of the Need for Speed games (for paint jobs) but for mech games they are sorely lacking. I am still adding this game to my list but it could be a few years before I actually pick it up.

My main reason for not getting into mech games earlier was that the designs all looked a bit meh, and given how many mech games there has been it's still surprising to me when these games have serious limitations to the customization of them. I think the game mechanics are what they struggle with and that imposes those restrictions. It's ridiculous that we can have customizable cars like in Gran Turismo (for stats) or some of the Need for Speed games (for paint jobs) but for mech games they are sorely lacking. I am still adding this game to my list but it could be a few years before I actually pick it up.

There is some customization available but the basic idea is that there is a pre-defined set of mech-models that have slots for different weapon types.

You can then equip it with whatever stuff you want, as long as weapons are of correct type and you do not exceed weight-limit.

Different models have different armor, structure,speed , heat management and melee dmg stats.

TcqmAi3.png

As an old player of Mechwarrior 1-4 the list of Mechs and customization options are meh.

I need some Clan mecha and SL tech.

Missions are really samey.

Mechcommander did this better IMO.

A good game, 8/10. Might be great with some Clan or 3060 DLC.

Last edited:
Starting to make some good progress building up my lance.

Have a Highlander, Zeus, Awesome, and Orion for my main lance right now.

I still haven't played Xcom 2 yet. Don't know why. Loved the first, but can't get into 2. All other turn based grid games are in line at this point.
You should check out Phoenix Point, it's my next big hype, I played hundreds of hours of Enemy Unknown but never really got into 2 either.

Starting to make some good progress building up my lance.

Have a Highlander, Zeus, Awesome, and Orion for my main lance right now.
I'm running a full Energy Awesome, a AC Battlemaster, the Gauss Highlander you get from the story mission, and a AC Jagermech. I really miss my Lazerdeath Hunchback, I could one shot anything <60 tons with it, but it wasn't durable enough for the Assaults I'm running into now.

I'm running a full Energy Awesome, a AC Battlemaster, the Gauss Highlander you get from the story mission, and a AC Jagermech. I really miss my Lazerdeath Hunchback, I could one shot anything <60 tons with it, but it wasn't durable enough for the Assaults I'm running into now.

No kidding...

I'm using the HGN-732B, Awesome as a missileboat/brawler, Banshee tank ac/20 and all small lasers, and a Black Knight laser vomit... and I don't think I can do this next mission.

8 enemy mechs all 65-95 tons.. mostly on the higher side.. with all their armor. Two missile boat Stalkers...

No kidding...

I'm using the HGN-732B, Awesome as a missileboat/brawler, Banshee tank ac/20 and all small lasers, and a Black Knight laser vomit... and I don't think I can do this next mission.

8 enemy mechs all 65-95 tons.. mostly on the higher side.. with all their armor. Two missile boat Stalkers...
Story mission? I had a hell of a time with a few of them, especially the first Smithton one with the ammo dumps. The AI can be so brutal sometimes, especially once they knock down a unit, but I do the same shit to be fair. I feel like 50-60 ton mech combat is the most fun, I love all the mechs in that range, but I guess I just need more time with the Assaults. Had three pieces of Atlas salvage earlier but failed the mission so I didn't get it, now I'm across the border all weekend and all I can think of is mech loadouts.

Story mission? I had a hell of a time with a few of them, especially the first Smithton one with the ammo dumps. The AI can be so brutal sometimes, especially once they knock down a unit, but I do the same shit to be fair. I feel like 50-60 ton mech combat is the most fun, I love all the mechs in that range, but I guess I just need more time with the Assaults. Had three pieces of Atlas salvage earlier but failed the mission so I didn't get it, now I'm across the border all weekend and all I can think of is mech loadouts.

Nope, it was a randomly generated mission.

One of those kill the enemy lance.. and oh yeah we're going to reinforce them with an entire full strength lance.

Except this time they're all in heavy or assault mechs with full armor!

Nope, it was a randomly generated mission.

One of those kill the enemy lance.. and oh yeah we're going to reinforce them with an entire full strength lance.

Except this time they're all in heavy or assault mechs with full armor!
Yeah, those are rough, at least you can cheese them a bit and hope for less brutal loadouts in the random missions. I'd love an Ironman mode in this game, though I feel like I'm not as big a masochist as I was in the X-Com or Battle Brothers days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back