BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Movie (Simon Kinberg to Write and Produce)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: February 10, 2016

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Movie in Development With Producers Michael De Luca, Scott Stuber

M0yestd.jpg

Battlestar Galatica is getting another shot at the big-screen. Powerhouse producers Michael De Luca is teaming up with Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark of Bluegrass Films to produce the movie for Universal, which is hoping to launch a massive event franchise.

Galactica was the short-lived but impactful television series created by Glen A. Larson in the post-Star Wars halo that aired on ABC from 1978 to 1979. The show was revived and re-imagined for the post-9-11 world in 2004 as a thought-provoking, politically-charged series that ran to great acclaim on Syfy from 2004 to 2009.

As the show was winding down, Universal began developing the property as a movie, enlisting Bryan Singer to direct it and several screenwriters coming and going. Singer hasn’t been involved with the project since at least 2014. No writers are on board at this early stage of the project.

The hook of the show concerned human civilization on distant planets being almost wiped out by intelligent machines known as Cylons. The survivors flee on starships, and led by the Galactica and her heroic crew, try to find a mythic human colony called Earth.

'Battlestar Galactica' Movie in Development at Universal With Producers Michael De Luca and Scott Stuber

Interesting... as much as I loved the show, I don't know what a movie would actually accomplish or tell story wise.

i hope its brings in a new TV show, and maybe one on a good network

The syfy show was so god damn good. The highs were as good as anything to air on TV.

Just rewatching now and I just finished the Pegasus arc. Tremendous.

i can't finish watching the new ones,loved the first couple of seasons though.

I would prefer another TV series but may watch on Netflix

Really enjoyed the TV show, which was sort of like a really long movie. I don't know what they are going to accomplish with a 2 hour movie.

First 2 seasons were fun, lost interest after that. Someone needs to reboot Firefly if anything.

Last edited:
Update: June 9, 2016

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Lands WESTWORLD Writer; Francis Lawrence in Talks to Direct

Battlestar-Galactica-Vipers-060916-Dragonlord.jpg

The long-awaited big-screen transfer of the Glen Larson 1978 TV series is moving forward at Universal. Lisa Joy, who scripted and is exec producer on HBO’s series Westworld, is writing the script. Francis Lawrence is circling the movie to direct.

Bluegrass Films partners Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark are producing with Michael De Luca through his Michael De Luca Productions.

Lawrence, who last directed The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, is next directing Jennifer Lawrence in the spy thriller Red Sparrow and this would come after.

The Battlestar Galactica series involves the battle between humans and the alien Cylon race, which is bent on wiping out the human race. It nearly achieves its aims with a devastating attack and the survivors flee in a caravan of spaceships.

The cult favorite series led to a 2003 reimagined Battlestar Galactica miniseries aired on Syfy that Time magazine called one of the “100 best TV shows of all-time.” Numerous directors have taken cracks at the feature film version over the years. It gives Universal a strong chance to create another tentpole franchise.

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Sets ‘Westworld’s Lisa Joy To Write; Director Francis Lawrence Orbiting

Loved both. One was campy fun like Buck Rogers, the other was dark and intense. I'm watching Dark Matter now and I realized I will watch almost anything sci fi

Loved both. One was campy fun like Buck Rogers, the other was dark and intense. I'm watching Dark Matter now and I realized I will watch almost anything sci fi
Dark Matter and its characters are very formulaic but I still enjoyed it. Wished they had a bigger budget. I have lovingly dubbed the show the "Brb Using My Imagination Show."

It's Syfy counterpart Killjoys is bleh for me. I like the leading lady though.

Never seen this show

Is it more like star trek or star wars
It's neither Star Trek or Star Wars. It's a grittier, grounded sci-fi militaristic kind of drama.

Have you seen the recent Syfy series The Expanse? The aesthetics is similar to that.

If you haven't seen Battlestar Galactica (2003 miniseries and 2004 series), you're in for a treat. It's one of the greatest sci-fi televisions series ever.

Is this with the syfy show cast or new cast? Eitherway I am excited.

I hope they recast this from scratch. Edward James Olmos is getting up there and Katee Sackhoff is maybe my least favorite actress that doesn't come from MMA.

It's neither Star Trek or Star Wars. It's a grittier, grounded sci-fi militaristic kind of drama.

Have you seen the recent Syfy series The Expanse? The aesthetics is similar to that.

If you haven't seen Battlestar Galactica (2003 miniseries and 2004 series), you're in for a treat. It's one of the greatest sci-fi televisions series ever.

Agreed. The show had such great characters that were casted perfectly. Such a deep and rich show.

Last edited:
Back