Battle of two monsters: Who takes it - Paulo Costa vs Yoel Romero??

bjjwar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Wow didn't know both were matched up. Who takes it?

Yoel. Paulo got his ass beat in TUF by a wrestler, he wouldnt stand a match against Yoel. Dude is overrated.

Anybody can get caught
I'm leaning Yoel but not by a lot

Don’t juge a book by its cover.

Mark Coleman should have tore Pete Williams limb from limb.

Costa KO bums (post USADA welterweight Hendricks and Hall). Yoel Romero smashed Weidman, Machida, Rockhold, Brunson, Kenedy. Now you know who takes it.

Yoel is the proven favorite. But Costa has a lot of confidence and you never know with Yoel's age. He can decline sharply at any point.

it should be Yoel, but not because he's a wrestler. i think he's got better striking defense and will probably KO Costa.

other than his athleticism in his takedowns, i haven't been impressed by his wrestling ability in MMA.

Yoel is the proven favorite. But Costa has a lot of confidence and you never know with Yoel's age. He can decline sharply at any point.
You can see the narrative already if Costa wins, it will be about Yoel's age and decline.

Romero smashes him. Hall is good but Costa nearly got finished in that fight. He's not careful enough.

Besides that he beat Hendricks.

Romero is just on another level. If Romero hasn't lost a step, Costa will get beaten bad.

Yoel is favored by most here for having a better resume. Ok, it makes sense.

However, I clearly remember Jacare (brawler with power) pusing Yoel back when they faced, and it wasnt for the TD threat or the very good ground game from Jacare. Yoel won, yes, through a very a tight split decision (many scored it for Jacare), but Yoel probably got it for that elbow that shook Jacare off R2, while R1 was Jacare's.

Then he destroyed Weidman (who was a shadow version of the Chris who beat old AS) and Rockhold (who was droped by Bisping lol), while losing 2 decisions to the champ. I mean, Yoel is scary, no question, but he is not a world beater and has shown weakness. I really want to see him dealing with Costa pressure (if Jacare was able to pressure a younger Yoel, I figure Costa can do better). In most his victories he set the pace, this one may be different.

That said, the competition Costa has faced is kinda meh, hes now going to have his 1st test - and a huge one. Costa lost a split decision while in TUF, like 4 or 5 years ago. Other than that he has been stomping whoever he faced. He is hittable (we have seen him being jabbed) but he hits back, so at least for now these tradeoffs have been good for him. I dont know about his chin, havent watched all of his fights.

Really excited about this. I wanna see ppl reaction should Costa stomp Yoel r1.

I would favor Yoel but I think those Whittaker fights took a lot out of him. It wasn't only Whittaker taking the punishment. Yoel got his with some brutal shots as well.

#RoidBattleBless

Classic wrestler vs striker, I mean, for me the other big storyline besides usada is the age factor. How much longer is Yoel gonna be competitive at the top of a solid division?

Wow didn't know both were matched up. Who takes it?
I want Paulo. Young, fresh, hungry...

...but he leaves himself open far too much.

Yoel will probably capitalize and KTFO him.

Back