Basic Upper-Body Throwing Series (Metzger and Polish Throw)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jack36767, Aug 20, 2015.

1. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Hey guys, I've finally been able to get some technique vids up. They're not of me. They're from the UTC (University of Tennessee-Chattanooga) summer wrestling camps. The vids show coach Eric Phillips from Cleveland High School (TN) showing a basic throwing series any body type or skill level can use. Coach Phillips is one of the best teachers/coaches I've ever seen at teaching 'advanced' techniques/skills to large groups of athletes of varying skill levels in a short amount of time. And then seeing those athletes hit the techniques live almost right away.

The vid covers everything from basic clench positioning, pummeling, footwork, metzgers, Polish throws, and laterals. It's taught in a way that white belts/novices can grasp and learn it, and advanced athletes can use, fix details, get reps in etc

Guys like Holt feel free to offer any critiques or opinions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AQG8RQ87Rw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbC3V1QLC8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_aMzLYXRlE

Here are the links, don't know how to embed yet. Sorry about the quality. I had to film it on my phone. Hope you enjoy!

2. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

Sounds awesome, thanks! I don't have the time to check these atm, but i definitely will!

[YT]7AQG8RQ87Rw[/YT]
    [YT]_TbC3V1QLC8[/YT]
    [YT]B_aMzLYXRlE[/YT]

3. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

I like the way this guy explains things and talks. He is obviously well versed in coaching camps. That being said, there are a lot of things I absolutely do not like about these techniques.

1. He is pummelling into an underhook lead and leaving it there. This is very easy to step around body lock. In the video, he is coaching a few kids and one kid immediately realizes, "hey, I can just step right around this and this guy cant stop it" to where the coach keeps stopping them and telling him a high underhook will help. No it wont.

2. He is basing his positioning off of the idea that a Metzger will compensate for poor positioning. While his Metzger technique is pretty good, this is a flawed strategy. A Metzger should be a back up when someone dominates you positionally and is about to score.

3. He does his twist down wrong. Trying to step inside an underhook and hipdown with a bodylock to the wrong side is very, very easy to score from with the underhook. It may work against someone who is completely lost in a bodylock scenario, but someone who knows the basics will fucking chew you up right there. Thats going to be a feet to back 75% of the time and is a for sure scoring position.

All of that being said, the guy has some good basics and seems like a very capable coach.

4. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Thank you for your input. I had been wondering about a couple of the points you made already. I'm just not as skilled in upper body to be totally confident in critiques of upper body stuff the way I am in other stuff. I can say for sure (because I was a councilor at the camp and the things he emphasized in-between the group teaching). That the main point was to introduce the kids to upper-body technique and to start getting them comfortable there. The camp was 99% teams/kid from the South. So the overall level was simply much lower than what me or you would expect back up home in the North. So it was as much an introduction to upper-body for the kids as anything else

Thank you again for the input! I'm starting up coaching full time this year and I'm trying to learn as much about good upper-body technique, basic series to teach, drills, concepts, etc. I want my wrestlers to be well rounded technically and dangerous from everywhere. And if I can get a kid into college with one of the new greco scholarships Matt Linland has started, because he actually had a legitimate chance to work on upper-body/greco, it will be just as awesome as one of my guys getting a folkstyle college offer. I want to actually develop my kids and hopefully help a few get into college/escape the poverty/crime cycle. Not just have a few trophies

5. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Holt, I shot you a PM. And I was curious about what techniques/adjustments you would use instead of the series shown. Thanks

6. MisterW

MisterW White Belt

I am curious too. Especially about stance in the over under position. I have seen Jon
    Trend advocate leading with the overhook leg... what do you think?

7. MisterW

MisterW White Belt

*Trenge*

8. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Regardless of the lead leg details and the dubious twist-down, that Metzger/Polish combo is nice. I've actually been using that myself as a go-to if I end up in the over/under position when defending.

9. pauljitz

pauljitz White Belt

Wow. Ive been doing jiujitsu for about eight years and it sadens me a little that I have basically no understanding of what I just read. You are always providing knowledge here without sugar coating it. Much appreciated.

10. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

sherdog is not worthy of your posts.

11. MisterW

MisterW White Belt

ttt for more elaboration by Holt

12. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's funny after a couple years of judo how similar it is. I guess it makes sense, but the dynamics of throwing are very similar, though obviously with certain differences. That Polish throw is very similar to one of my favorite counters to any forward throw, as long as you can avoid the kuzushi and drive your hips in, locking the body, your opponent is going to get either flattened or (preferably) launched. But you damn sure better have defended the kuzushi first or you are going to be the one flying. Particularly at higher levels, where the guys enter when they have a good angle already, and do it so fast that there isn't some sort of long flailing about for control.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  13. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Yep, Holt's the fuckin man, one of my favorite posters.