Basic Half Guard to Back

Enhance

White Belt
Reaction score
Updated with part 2 of the technique

Enjoy!

Tonight's class we will focus on a sweep when the opponent overhooks the arm when you go for a deep underhook, preventing you from taking the back - will post tomorrow.

Yamasaki DC
www.bjjdc.com

Here is part 2 when an opponent counters with the overhook.

Last edited:
Thank you for this detailed video. I like to use a lot the half guard, please post the other vid later :).

use to be one of my favorite sweeps until people developed there D'arce. Now I just go straight to deep half and still have to avoid the D'arce, but it's lower percentage there.

use to be one of my favorite sweeps until people developed there D'arce. Now I just go straight to deep half and still have to avoid the D'arce, but it's lower percentage there.

This has also been a big problem for a lot of us. However, the Darce is much harder to get with the gi. Also, if you can get a good, tight underhook like luis demonstrates, it becomes very hard to darce even in no gi.

If the guy on top whizzers you, you just end up in a dog fight.
But there are still some pretty good sweeps from there. So I wouldn't rely on just getting the back every time.

The greatest problem I have with the underhook, at least in the gi, is people switching base and passing...

I like how he pulls the foot out with his outside leg, very slick to help control base/movement and can be used to get more leverage on your own movement

If the guy on top whizzers you, you just end up in a dog fight.
But there are still some pretty good sweeps from there. So I wouldn't rely on just getting the back every time.

Great point! Tonight in class we will demonstrate 2 sweeps when the opponent gets the whizzer and I will post them tomorrow.

Updated the original thread with part 2 when the opponent whizzers...it's a great and effective sweep and uses the momentum of your opponent trying to bring you back down.

Updated the original thread with part 2 when the opponent whizzers...it's a great and effective sweep and uses the momentum of your opponent trying to bring you back down.

Great videos. Very similar treatment to Stephan Kesting's Dynamic Half Guard (which is a great disc). Can't be overemphasized that the part 2 (the roll under sweep) only works with them resisting/smashing. If you try to force it (and they're just sitting in good base) you end up trapped under them, which is no good.

Also, it helps on #1 to do a "shot put" motion with your underhook and kick out with your outside leg to help shift yourself down/south before coming up to your knees.

Last edited:
Back