Basic "deep De La Riva guard": a BJJ tutorial I made

Man, I always love hearing this!

If you have any requests, just hit me up either here or on Facebook. I can't always film and write requests, but sometimes it works out.

Awesome man I'll let you know if I think of anything.

Just wanted to thank you for this series and the others ones you are doing- enjoying them. Like that you shortened the clip and got rid of the intro.

Thanks! It made a lot of sense, since most of the videos I'm shooting now are going to be used for video tutorials. Some are even just class footage, cleaned up a bit. The explanation is thorough enough, so if people want more detail, they can read that.

I train more basic bjj. Haven't done any of the bolo or dlr. Good to branch out and try new things. We don't practice any of these in our school

Glad to help open some new horizons!

I like quite a number of your video series you have put up, it's good stuff.

Thanks

This style is coming back into vogue (as all things seem to do in BJJ). JT Torres wrecks dudes with deep DLR, for example.

This style is coming back into vogue (as all things seem to do in BJJ). JT Torres wrecks dudes with deep DLR, for example.

I don't think this is true(in fact I was just about to make a post asking why people thought this style of DLR was so unpopular these days). Besides JT who(at an elite level) uses the deep DLR hook? Keenan used to use it to set up his berimbolo - but he doesn't berimbolo guys these days and he was one of the only guys to use the deep hook to set it up, and while I can name a million guys who use the short hook I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else who uses deep hook.

Great stuff! I'm gonna try it since DLR is a big part of my game.

Thanks for posting these videos. I will have to try these out when I get back to class. These sweeps look like they should work pretty well with my long legs.

I don't think this is true(in fact I was just about to make a post asking why people thought this style of DLR was so unpopular these days). Besides JT who(at an elite level) uses the deep DLR hook? Keenan used to use it to set up his berimbolo - but he doesn't berimbolo guys these days and he was one of the only guys to use the deep hook to set it up, and while I can name a million guys who use the short hook I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else who uses deep hook.

It never really went out of style among Gracie Barra guys. Braulio has always used it well, Romulo too though he's more of a spider guard guy. I've seen Otavio Sousa use it as well.

Other than JT I don't think it's necessarily a lot of guys' go-to, but you see it pop up now and again even with guys like the Miyaos (though they do use it mostly to set up the berimbolo).

I'm probably biased because I use it a lot, so I've looked up a lot of footage of people using it and I'm probably overestimating its usage.

Thanks for posting these videos. I will have to try these out when I get back to class. These sweeps look like they should work pretty well with my long legs.

Let me know how it goes!

Back