basic boxing techniques I can practice on a bag

• Thread starter Deleted member 53472
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53472

does anybody know a good pro-boxing or martial arts site, where they show pictures and videos of proper punching and other techniques that someone can practice on a punching bag? I know that the best thing is of course joining a real boxing school, but right now my funds are low and all I got is a punching bag.

Read the sticky by King Kabuki called "Heavybag Rounds 101". He desribes some common strikes in that article. More than that, he describes in detail what to do when training on the bag.

Check out www.rossboxing.com and some of his videos, and his books if you got the loot.
This video specifically shows some good strikes (keep in mind hes punching conditioning): http://www.rossboxing.com/heavybagdrills.wmv
You may have to right click and "Save Target As" or whatever.

--
When i get time i will describe the common punches in detail.

Jab:
Cross:
Lead Hook:
Uppercut:

---

Do you want to train elbows/knees/kicks ???

also try punching from a transition from a duck, bob, weave, hitting from angles
rather than straight on.

VampireMonk said:
also try punching from a transition from a duck, bob, weave, hitting from angles
rather than straight on.

After you know how to punch straight on.

But this brings up another issue:

Is your footwork strong?
Is your gaurd strong?

If not, you need to work on those. Start a new post with the subject "Gaurd and Footwork" if you want some advice, I've been meaning to write something for them.

gotta gree Tokai,
after those things, sorry they are already natural for me, I don't think about it anymore.

Have a look at http://www.boxing4free.com/ for basic technique.

Also have a look in the stickies for hand-wrapping so you dont mess-up your wrists.

Personally, I'd "invent" my own routine based on what skill level you are at. Eg; as a beginner myself, I so far am only practicing jab, cross & hook as well as a MT low kick. My routine starts with 5 minutes skipping, the 3 min sets+30s rest (as per King Kabuki's routine) however - as that routine was too complicated for me I just work on the above. Only a few sets but I start light then go harder (therefore I might repeat the sets). It's not really very formalised but it might start with jab only 1 min, jab+cross 1 min, the jab+cross+hook 1 min. Next set is normally R kick (light), then L kick (light) then 30s L +30s R (hard), the 3rd set is jab+kick, jab+cross+kick, then jab+cross+hook+kick. I'm still toying with it all...

judogido said:
Have a look at http://www.boxing4free.com/ for basic technique.

Also have a look in the stickies for hand-wrapping so you dont mess-up your wrists.

Personally, I'd "invent" my own routine based on what skill level you are at. Eg; as a beginner myself, I so far am only practicing jab, cross & hook as well as a MT low kick. My routine starts with 5 minutes skipping, the 3 min sets+30s rest (as per King Kabuki's routine) however - as that routine was too complicated for me I just work on the above. Only a few sets but I start light then go harder (therefore I might repeat the sets). It's not really very formalised but it might start with jab only 1 min, jab+cross 1 min, the jab+cross+hook 1 min. Next set is normally R kick (light), then L kick (light) then 30s L +30s R (hard), the 3rd set is jab+kick, jab+cross+kick, then jab+cross+hook+kick. I'm still toying with it all...

That perfect.
Also try and throw in some pushups in between sets, it will get your arms used to heavy clinching.

tokian said:
Read the sticky by King Kabuki called "Heavybag Rounds 101". He desribes some common strikes in that article. More than that, he describes in detail what to do when training on the bag.

Check out www.rossboxing.com and some of his videos, and his books if you got the loot.
This video specifically shows some good strikes (keep in mind hes punching conditioning): http://www.rossboxing.com/heavybagdrills.wmv
You may have to right click and "Save Target As" or whatever.

--
When i get time i will describe the common punches in detail.

Jab:
Cross:
Lead Hook:
Uppercut:

---

Do you want to train elbows/knees/kicks ???

Thanks. Yeah I need to train knees and kicks and everything too... I was searching google for Muay Thai and Kickboxing techniques but didn't find anything with pics/videos and detailed instructions.

tokian said:
That perfect.
Also try and throw in some pushups in between sets, it will get your arms used to heavy clinching.
Well, 15 years of Judo has my arms fairly used to heavy clinching.:wink:

Back