Basic analysis of Mayweather strategy in amateurs (Gif heavy)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by NVSemin, Sep 28, 2013.

1. NVSemin

NVSemin Orange Belt

Hello fighters!

I have read and watched few break downs on internet, was dissatisfied and decided to fill the gap myself. Here is a tentative post of my observations and analysis:

The 1996 Atlanta Olympics quarter final bout with a Cuban fighter Lorenzo Aragon [1,2]. I used this fight because it was
    1. highly competitive, so the skills of both fighters are put to the limit
    2. Floyd dealt fairly easy with shorter opponents in availble on youtube videos

In the beginning of the fight, Floyd uses the classical orthodox stance with high guards:

(Sorry, give link for the static image, so save real images for gif) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/345862446354503685/

to execute the jab from the underneath after making a slip to the outside:

[​IMG]

He switches to the modern stance with high guards:

(Sorry, give link for the static image, so save real images for gif)
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/345862446354503695/

to execute a pull counter:

[​IMG]

or a straight right lead from underneath:

[​IMG]

After the first minute (1:00 of the 1st round), Floyd switched to the Philly shell for his countering strategy. Notice in the gif below, Floyd drops the left hand shortly after the beginning, baiting the opponent to commit with the straight right lead, which the Cuban does throw:

[​IMG]

Floyd counters unsuccessfully with the left hook

In the next similar episode after 30 seconds (1:30 of the 1st round), the Cuban plans an adjustment for this case: a left hand punch

[​IMG]

hard to say for sure either Floyds reacts so quickly to the left punch or he was just expecting from the experience, but he counters with the right hook without hesitations.

In the next similar instance, in the beginning of the third minute of the 1st round (2:07 1st round), the Cuban apparently was thinking to shorten his second punch after the right lead:

[​IMG]

This time he was unlucky because Floyd reached him with the left hook counter and quickly pivoted outside on the left foot

All for now!

Hope somebody finds it usefull!

References
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqpwM_Om2E
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkiebnSLaHg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Honestly, I'm not really sure what gaps you're filling in. This isn't analysis as much as it's a quick summary of what happens in a couple of gifs. Don't mean to be a dick but if you're gonna imply that your post has something to offer that other breakdowns are missing, you might want to include a bit more meat.

3. Brando

Brando Green Belt

Interesting post, thanks! Enjoy high-level sequences broken down in gif form like this.

4. Zephyros

Zephyros White Belt

Good GIFs. You should post more of these.

However, in the last GIF, it's anything but luck. The last two actually show Floyd waiting for his opponent to extend forward on the right- that's why he's catching him with the left hook.

5. NVSemin

NVSemin Orange Belt

Good points!

I did this breakdown for myself, because as a beginner amateur fighter I could not help noticing how much different Floyd fought compared to what I am taught at the moment and that Cuban in the sequence. I want to change my game and help others interested to change it

tnx