Based on what UFC pays its fighters

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Torak, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Torak

Torak Orange Belt

Im really curious about this. How does it work? Some guys on the prelims are making 5000-10 000 per fight and some guys are taking hundreds of tousands per fight. There is no difference between the risk those fighters are putting themselves into. Every single one of them is risking their long term health and even life, so when salaries in UFC vary this much it completely staggers me.
    And on top of that, HOW come that Conor McGregor made 16 millions for defeating Jose Aldo? Why are some fighters getting so much money? I understand its usually the marketable fighters, like McGregor, Rousey, Overeem etc...but despite al that, based on what UFC gives its fighters salary? Just based on how they feel?? Shouldnt there be some kind of strict system based on which they would give their fighters money? Because if truly they are just giving them money based on how they feel they desrve it , then its very wrong and probably even against the principles of labour law.

2. Jesus Freak

Jesus Freak Banned Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]

philweed likes this.
  3. MadHouse

MadHouse Black Belt

its based on how much they draw similar to wwe
    the popular guys that bring in more sales and viewers get paid more that's how it works how it always worked

really and truly some of those under card guys are just there to full out card space until they themselves can gather enough interest to be a breakout

4. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

If you re entertaining both inside and outside the cage you get the Anderson Silva money...

5. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

Based on the disclosed salary reports of the regional athletic comissions after each UFC event

6. Quinton Fields

Quinton Fields Banned Banned

Wow, yeah they give McGregor & Rousey money just because they're all buddies who love to go & have a beer, the more people will pay to watch you fight, the more you will get paid.

7. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

8. Jay philips

Jay philips Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I understand what your saying but take those guys that are making 10,000 and fill the whole card with them and see how many PPV's they sell or see what kinds of ratings they get broadcasting on FS1. You can't pay a guy 100,000 dollars that you only made 20,000 on because the UFC's overhead is as high as the moon. The only guys that make that cake is the guys who get a PPV cut which is not as many as you think. I think if the PPV sells 1 million they get over 3 dollars per sale so your looking at 3 million on top of his 500,000 show money. Conor is not as rich as he claims to be like everything he says he stretches it a bit.

9. conscience

conscience Blue Belt

Conor claims he's not getting the PPV "drip" money, but a check to his account

10. RoscoeRufus

RoscoeRufus Lineal Pootie Tang Belt Champion

Thc Sargon likes this.
  11. IMSAYIN

IMSAYIN Mediocre Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]

I put the PPV sales at about.... 2 ppl.

12. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

most fighters are in that boat - you see how much some fighters get discussed vs. other ones, even top 5-10 fighters, lots of them just dont matter to fans - others can relate to fans and do really well even if they arent the best fighters objectively

13. Thc Sargon

Thc Sargon Blue Belt

RoscoeRufus likes this.
  14. philweed

philweed I'm the oldest I've ever been, right now.

Here we go again. Some little nosy crybaby had to start ANOTHER thread on fighter pay.

Don't like the pay? Then don't sign the contract. Find a career that better suits you. The problem isn't the UFC, it's the guys who agree to a contract then cry about it later to the mma media (of all people). Nobody wants to hear anyone rant how they deserve more from their job.

Quinton Fields likes this.
  15. Scamrock

Scamrock Black Belt

Its called performance based pay. If you win, you will get paid more, better deals, better contracts. If you dont, you wont. Now, on a rare occasion, you get somebody like Sage Northcutt making big bucks right from the start. But that rarely happens. Most guys get entry level contracts. A few bigger name free agents will get more.

For what it is worth, we know Conor McGregor only got a reported payout of 12k/12k in his second fight. So it appears even he started out on an entry level contract. He got where is is now by winning impressively and proving to be a big draw.

16. CTYankee

CTYankee Brown Belt

Your location says you are in Europe and I do not know where in Europe you are from but I assuming that it is not a capitalistic country.

The pay is based on the principle of supply and demand. The bottom of the card guys are not bringing any eyes to the television sets. There is a great supply of guys like that and very little demand for them. Fighters that people tune in to watch like Conor, Rousey, Jones are few and far between so they can demand more.

As for the "principles of labour law", is that something you made up or something that you believe that is an inherent right because I have no idea what you are talking about?

17. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

If you put those guys making 12k in as a headliner the UFC wouldn't sell shit. You need to have draw and marketability just as much (if not more) as fighting ability. Ask Fitch, Okami, and Shields about it. This is the entertainment business.

18. NHB7

NHB7 Steel Belt

You answered your own question in your own post. It's based on marketability. The default pay for risking life and limb is 5000-10000. But if you are a pretty good trash talker, or rack up enough flashy KOs, or are likely to pull in a foreign market, then you get paid more.

This is why Bellator is able to be competitive. They often have higher up front contracts. Their default is higher. But unlike UFC, if you become marketable for Bellator, they can't pay you as much.